PDA

View Full Version : Intense horror films

masterj
01-22-2012, 01:00 PM
Hello, horror film lovers! :)
I'm searching for really good INTENSE (including mystery) psychologic (atmospheric) horror films :) You know, the films that grab you and hold you on the edge of your seat trying to understand who or what is the antagonist, how the protagonist will survive and such... Basically the film should have strong script, without any useless 'talk' minutes that give no real information in the end and doesn't lead to the final scene directly.

Some examples, that I really liked:
Joyride (2001)
Vacancy (2007)

and one that I can not remember, but it's name was something with the "call" or "missed call"... About a girl that comes to a house to watch a child as nanny. And then bizarre things start to happen as the killer is after her in that house... or something :D

Also A Perfect Getaway (2009) was quite enjoyable to me.

Maybe you will have some good suggestions as to what other films should I watch... :) And thank you all for reading this kinda long thread ;)

P.S> I'm most interesned in the films, released after year 2000 (I know, I know, that 70s-80s are the best year for horror films, but I just want to see what last 10 years gave us). Also please no "guts/head/body cutting, torture only" films. I like killer movies, but it has to be one intelligent killer.

Elvis_Christ
01-22-2012, 02:29 PM
Inside (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0856288/) was very intense and one of the better horror films in the last 10 years.

masterj
01-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Inside (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0856288/) was very intense and one of the better horror films in the last 10 years.

Isn't this one a torture type of film? I mean like gross with cutting of parts and stuff?

vanlutz
01-23-2012, 02:24 PM
Isn't this one a torture type of film? I mean like gross with cutting of parts and stuff?

A little more then say Vacancy.

You might want to check out THE STRANGERS. I loved Vacancy and The Strangers is right up that alley.

While it's not edge or your seat, it's a great movie MAY with Angela Bettis is magnificent.

If out right brutally is your thing MARTYRS is a not to miss. I personally hated this movie because of the "explanation". Which was just STUPID. But, for outright shock and awe Martyrs is tops.

vanlutz
01-23-2012, 04:09 PM

Just a duplicate of above. I didn't realize everything on here was checked before being posted. Weird.

Bob Gray
01-23-2012, 04:30 PM
I'll just rattle off a few here:

High Tension/Haute Tension
Funny Games
The Collector
Laid to Rest I & II
Hatchet I & II

ChronoGrl
01-23-2012, 07:04 PM
Based on your request for a movie that has you wondering about the antagonist, I think you might dig Surveillance (2008): http://www.imdb.com/rg/em_share/rt_iphone/title/tt0409345

Inside is a great flick, but if you aren't a fan of gore and violence, I say stay away. It's not a torture flick, if that's what you're concerned about; just very violent and absolutely intense .

GraveDave
01-24-2012, 06:16 AM
Good atmospheric horror movies that build tension, for me anyway, include Session 9, Insidious, Lake Mungo, The Innkeepers, Jacob's Ladder and to a lesser extent Fragile. All have supernatural elements. Some of them might be too slow burning for you.

I'm not so huge on the home invasion movies but I can second Funny Games and The Strangers, and perhaps even The Children, though that's a bit different than the others.

Bob Gray
01-24-2012, 11:41 AM
Good atmospheric horror movies that build tension, for me anyway, include Session 9, Insidious, Lake Mungo, The Innkeepers, Jacob's Ladder and to a lesser extent Fragile. All have supernatural elements. Some of them might be too slow burning for you.

I'm not so huge on the home invasion movies but I can second Funny Games and The Strangers, and perhaps even The Children, though that's a bit different than the others.

Never heard of Lake Mungo, what's it about?

GraveDave
01-24-2012, 11:48 AM
It's a mockumentary about a family who lose their daughter to drowning. Weird stuff start happening around their house. She shows up in photos, videos and dreams. It's very subtle and, I thought, quite good with a pretty good jump scare thrown in. It's very slow building though, so some people might find it boring. You can check out my full opinion on my site if you feel like it, but yeah, that's it in a nutshell.

TheWickerFan
01-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Intensity (1997) - pretty close to this past decade. The film that High Tension wanted to be.

ChronoGrl
01-24-2012, 12:16 PM
Intensity (1997) - pretty close to this past decade. The film that High Tension wanted to be.

Is this the Intensity that you're talking about?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118350/

Looks good (I found High Tension to have one of the worst endings ever)

TheWickerFan
01-24-2012, 12:20 PM
Is this the Intensity that you're talking about?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118350/

Looks good (I found High Tension to have one of the worst endings ever)

Yep. I really loved it. It's not on DVD yet though.:(

Ferox13
01-24-2012, 12:29 PM

Its not bad - had a little too much of a Tv Movie feel to it (some TVM can pull this off)..Its very similar to HT (its based on a Dean Koontz novel as far as I know).

Bob Gray
01-24-2012, 12:54 PM
High Tension was a great movie, one of the best horror movies that came out around that time.

TheWickerFan
01-24-2012, 01:00 PM
(I found High Tension to have one of the worst endings ever)

Agreed. They tried to be too clever.

Sistinas666
01-24-2012, 01:05 PM
Identity
Vacancy 2
Red White & Blue
The Cell
The Experiment

Those are a few I could think of.

Fearonsarms
01-26-2012, 08:13 AM
I personally wouldn't recommend Martyrs I hated it. Instead I suggest Frontier(s) or The Children, Heartless (though it messes you're head up a bit), Blood Runs Cold and Behind The Mask: The Rise Of Leslie Vernon.

masterj
01-31-2012, 07:25 AM
thank you all for your suggestions!! :)

I'm going to check them out

CURRENT LIST:
Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon (2006)
ChromeSkull: Laid to Rest 2 (2011)
*Identity (2003)
Insidious (2010)
*Joy Ride (2001)
Laid to Rest (2009)
Surveillance (2008)
Haute tension (2003)
The Collector (2009)
The Experiment (2010)
The Innkeepers (2011)
*The Strangers (2008)
*Vacancy (2007)

* - films, I've already seen

Sgt.Kazoo
02-02-2012, 05:16 AM

I must ask you: What exactly did you like about "Inside"? I've heard so many amazing things about that film, so I finally watched it.
I, personally, didn't like it. I truly believe there was an incredible amount of potential there that was wasted.
I would never bash someone for their tastes, so I apologize if my post came off as rude at all. I'd really like to hear your opinion on this one. :)

crazy raplh
02-05-2012, 06:34 AM
See I thought the title was insest, not intence LOL. glad I didnt respond. What would be a good insest movie though??
Wrong turn
The hills have eyes
??

ImmortalSlasher
02-05-2012, 08:19 AM
one that I can not remember, but it's name was something with the "call" or "missed call"... About a girl that comes to a house to watch a child as nanny. And then bizarre things start to happen as the killer is after her in that house... or something :D

I think the movie you are talking about is "When a Stranger Calls."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_a_Stranger_Calls_%282006_film%29

I've never seen the original only this remake. The house design and Camilla Belle's looks are the only reason to own the movie. I thought it was kind of silly. In fact, it's funny that they even did this remake. The opening of the movie "Scream" is all about the girl in a house by herself who continues to pick up the telephone for a stranger.

Fearonsarms
02-13-2012, 08:25 AM
See I thought the title was insest, not intence LOL. glad I didnt respond. What would be a good insest movie though??
Wrong turn
The hills have eyes
??

Island Of Death

neverending
02-13-2012, 02:51 PM
Not a horror film, but the original Straw Dogs (not the POS remake) is a pretty intense film.

sfear
02-13-2012, 06:16 PM
I agree with STRAW DOGS, but I'm surprised no one has suggested Robert Wise's THE HAUNTING. It may have been made in 1963 and the dvd, if I recall correctly, is rated G, but it's still the scariest horror movie I've yet seen and certainly qualifies as being intense, at least in spots.

Jokuc
02-14-2012, 12:32 PM
A little more then say Vacancy.
You might want to check out THE STRANGERS.

Yeah.
I was going to say The Strangers too.

Wish
02-14-2012, 12:59 PM
The Strangers really let me down. I was hype for it, too. Loved the trailer.

This isn't very original, but I found The Exorcist (the legit, old timey 70s one) pretty intense. I don't know about all these other Exorcism movies lately; I haven't watched any.

The Spanish-language REC (the lame Jennifer Carpenter film, Quarantine, is a remake of it) had a degree of intensity, once it got going.

Fearonsarms
02-26-2012, 10:24 PM
Also recommend The Loved Ones-hugely intense stuff

roshiq
02-26-2012, 10:43 PM
Not a horror film, but the original Straw Dogs (not the POS remake) is a pretty intense film.

Oh, means...you have seen that shit?!:D

leezuki
02-28-2012, 01:56 PM
martyrs
inside
midnight express

Matthew T.
03-06-2012, 06:35 AM
A lot of great films have been mentioned already, but I'd like to mention the film "You're Next", which stars Barbara Crampton (of Reanimator fame). I had a chance to check out the screening of it at the Toronto International Film Festival last year, and was impressed. It's another home-invasion type film, but it was pretty damn tense.

I'd also like to put in a nod for The Descent, which was pretty freaking tense throughout.

newb
03-06-2012, 10:04 AM
The Blair Witch Project pretty much all took place in tents.

Angra
03-06-2012, 11:18 AM

With best effects being the snot bubbles.

I will never watch it again. :(

Matthew T.
03-06-2012, 11:32 AM

I get jokes. :D

newb
03-06-2012, 11:52 AM
I get jokes. :D

I'm glad you got it....seems to have gone right over Angra's head. And he won "The Funniest Member" of HDC this year.

when I say won I really mean "stole" it.....from the funniest member HDC has ever had.....last 4 years in a row.

bastard

Angra
03-06-2012, 11:56 AM
Sorry.

Should've read the pages that went before i guess.

I still hate the movie tho.

newb
03-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Sorry.

Should've read the pages that went before i guess.

but you only had to read the title of the thread for my most excellent joke to work.

you know what.........

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/rockinmule/2lownn.gif

neverending
03-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Here we go again! :p

The Villain
03-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Here we go again! :p

As long as it's not directed at me there shouldnt be a problem :p

Angra
03-06-2012, 10:04 PM
but you only had to read the title of the thread for my most excellent joke to work.

you know what.........

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/rockinmule/2lownn.gif

Hahahahaha

I see it now. :D

And i'm gonna steal that gif of yours.