PDA

View Full Version : Twisted Endings

ABjerg
10-13-2011, 03:49 AM
I'm looking for some good movies (doesn't have to be horror, it can be any genre) with a good plot/twist at the end. You know, those movies where you go "damn, didn't see that coming".

To give examples I'll take, for example, The Prestige (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0482571/). That surprised me a lot!:eek:

It can also be movies which doesn't make twist at the end only, but throughout the movie, like 1408 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0450385/).

Other examples: Mindhunters, Saw-movies,

MichaelMyers
10-13-2011, 04:06 AM
Inception. Sixth Sense.

neverending
10-13-2011, 04:15 AM
Psycho. The Crying Game.

silentmovieman
10-13-2011, 04:55 AM
Memento is the ultimate mind f@@@ ending imo

ABjerg
10-13-2011, 05:20 AM
It's on my list man!^^ :D
Psycho. The Crying Game.
Not seen Crying Game, gonna check it out, thanx!
Inception. Sixth Sense.
Seen both, thanx anyway! :)

leezuki
10-13-2011, 10:25 AM
mulholland drive, martyrs, blood river was weird i am still not shure if i liked it.

ZombieDrone
10-13-2011, 02:30 PM
Twists are great in Italian horror. Check out some of Argento's giallo films (Bird With The Crystal Plumage, Tenebre etc.) The killer is always a revelation. Don't Look Now has a great and bizarre story that you have to watch more than once to even come close to really understanding, I still get lost.

The Wicker Man...the ending's very famous and you can see it coming a mile away but it's superbly written, possibly better than any horror film I've seen.

The films in Lucio Fulci's Gates Of Hell trilogy (City Of The Living Dead (or Gates Of Hell in the US) The Beyond and House By The Cemetery) all have a surrealist tint to them and each film ends in an incredibly strange way, but it's not to everyone's taste.

Sistinas666
10-13-2011, 03:33 PM
I realize its not very obscure but Identity blew my mind with its twist!

Angra
10-13-2011, 08:05 PM
Shutter Island
Dark City
Wild Things
Dead Silence
The Usual Suspects
The Ward

ABjerg
10-15-2011, 04:19 AM
I realize its not very obscure but Identity blew my mind with its twist!
I've seen that, and I agree man, fuckin' crazy!

Shutter Island
Dark City
Wild Things
Dead Silence
The Usual Suspects
The Ward
Seen the bolded ones. Loved the twist in Dead Silence, hated the twist in Shutter Island because it's seen so many times before!

Shutter Island Spoiler Alert: You must admit you've seen a movie with a dude who looks and acts normal, and you find out he's crazy?

I'll check the others out!!

Angra
10-15-2011, 04:38 AM
I've seen that, and I agree man, fuckin' crazy!

Seen the bolded ones. Loved the twist in Dead Silence, hated the twist in Shutter Island because it's seen so many times before!

Shutter Island Spoiler Alert: You must admit you've seen a movie with a dude who looks and acts normal, and you find out he's crazy?

I'll check the others out!!

I wasn't too happy about it either, only because Scorsese didn't manage to disguise his insanity very well. Too many hints. Believe me, the ending in Lehanes novel had your jaw hitting the floor.

And you really haven't seen The Usual Suspects? Seriously??? I thought all people everywhere had seen it.

hammerfan
10-15-2011, 05:15 AM
And you really haven't seen The Usual Suspects? Seriously??? I thought all people everywhere had seen it.

I haven't seen it either. :eek:

Angra
10-15-2011, 05:33 AM
I haven't seen it either. :eek:

Bow your head in shame, woman.

The Villain
10-15-2011, 06:52 AM
I wasn't too happy about it either, only because Scorsese didn't manage to disguise his insanity very well. Too many hints. Believe me, the ending in Lehanes novel had your jaw hitting the floor.

I havent seen it either but only because the ending was ruined for me so i really have no desire to watch it now. I think that's a big problem with twist movies.

leezuki
10-16-2011, 12:06 PM
sixth sense was ruined for me, was so bloody anoyed with my mate who could not keep his mouth shut :mad:

ABjerg
10-18-2011, 06:28 AM

I've maybe seen The Usual Suspect a long time ago, cause I can't remember. :D

Fearonsarms
10-18-2011, 10:16 AM
Happy Birthday To Me
American Beauty
Requiem For A Dream
April Fool's Day
Scanners
Frankenhooker
Sleepaway Camp

walkerthe13th
10-18-2011, 10:53 AM
I'd recommend Phantasm. Not the strongest twist ending, but keeps you guessing as to what the "evil" is until possibly after the movie is over. Definitely a heady-type of film.

roshiq
10-18-2011, 11:25 AM

Though I haven't read the novel but I think Scorsese clearly or intentionally gave away the "twist" that most of the viewers often complains about the film. The film is still enjoyable, IMO and that's the difference of Scorses' Shutter Island from any 'twist ending' film. To me, it's not about the "twist" at all or the "twist" here actually shouldn't be the major concern for the viewers. I think Scorsese mainly emphasized on**SPOILER AHEAD** Teddy's delusional, recurring self-realization journey to break all the walls that he created around him to 'protect' himself or escape from his own haunting & dark past**SPOILER END**.

Angra
10-18-2011, 11:45 AM
To me everything else was captured perfectly by Scorcese. Storyline, Sceneries, atmosphere... Decaprio might have been a little too young for the role as an experienced detective. But wtf, as usual he did good.

No, i don't see why any director would jeopardizing the absolute highlight of the book with too many hints.

You think the same approach would've worked on Fight Club, hmm?

I don't think so.

roshiq
10-19-2011, 07:27 AM
To me everything else was captured perfectly by Scorcese. Storyline, Sceneries, atmosphere... Decaprio might have been a little too young for the role as an experienced detective. But wtf, as usual he did good.

No, i don't see why any director would jeopardizing the absolute highlight of the book with too many hints.

You think the same approach would've worked on Fight Club, hmm?

I don't think so.

I don't think so either. Actually that is indeed a terrible way to ruin the fun for this sorta stories but I think Scorsese somehow or surprisingly still manages to maintain the excitement till the end and I personally appreciate his effort as you mentioned the atmosphere, cinematography, story & character development...all are great in Shutter Island.

Fearonsarms
10-20-2011, 08:25 AM
Here's more I've remembered:

Society
Viy
The Sentinel
In The Mouth Of Madness
Asylum
Session 9

DickLaurentIsDead
10-20-2011, 03:17 PM
No mention of The Mist? :confused: One of the best endings ever.
Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry has a super wtf ending as well.
Night Of The Living Dead?? Maybe that one is too obvious.

ABjerg
10-21-2011, 06:41 AM
Here's more I've remembered:

Society
Viy
The Sentinel
In The Mouth Of Madness
Asylum
Session 9
Thanx man!

newb
10-21-2011, 07:21 PM
No mention of The Mist? :confused: One of the best endings ever.
Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry has a super wtf ending as well.
Night Of The Living Dead?? Maybe that one is too obvious.

good call on Dirty Mary

maybe not a twist but very fucked up

TheWickerFan
10-22-2011, 03:00 AM
Being a fan of Paranormal Activity, I was very disappointed in the sequel. Incredibly slow and boring.:mad:

I'm seeing the third one today with my fingers crossed.

Wow! I meant to put this in the Found Footage thread. My apologies.