PDA

View Full Version : The scariest horror movie jump scenes of all time

leezuki
10-08-2011, 07:56 AM
contains spoilers

what movies can you remember that made you jump right out your seat.
i still think it would have to be jaws for me, when he dives down to the boat and finds the shark tooth then the body pops out, i still jump out my seat today at that bit i dont know why because i know whats coming lol.

paranormal activity gave me quite a few jumps, and halloween.

neverending
10-08-2011, 08:03 AM
The end of Carrie. Still worked the 2nd and 3rd time I saw the film.

Fearonsarms
10-08-2011, 08:14 AM
The stalking scene in Cat People (1942) with the scariest entrance of a bus ever.

Night Of The Demon (1957) when I first saw the demon as a kid.

The Shining "Here's Johnny after each stroke of the axe which is jumpy in itself".

The Burning (1981)the canoe scene (the whole film had been a tease up to this infamous moment)

Friday The 13th-When Jason jumps out of the lake at the end

Fearonsarms
10-08-2011, 08:16 AM
Oh and 28Days Later (2002) as Godspeeds "Dead Flag Blues" builds up at the beginning up to the car alarm.

Fearonsarms
10-08-2011, 08:17 AM
And the ending of "Don't Look Now"

The Villain
10-08-2011, 08:29 AM
Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

When the guy trips over the step, falls into the doorway and Leatherface appears with the hammer. That still gets me.

ZombieDrone
10-08-2011, 08:35 AM
Salem's Lot....whenever Barlow claims another victim.

Chief Brody
10-08-2011, 08:36 AM
Has to be the head-in-the-boat scene from Jaws. I saw the film a few years after it first came out during a re-run at a local cinema when i was young.

That scene made me jump right out the seat.
I watched the rest of the film through my fingers!! What an experience.

TheWickerFan
10-08-2011, 08:39 AM
John Carpenter's The Thing - when the blood test revealed the imposter.

The Exorcist - the projectile vomiting.

Fearonsarms
10-08-2011, 08:54 AM
The hospital corridor scene in Exorcist 3-haunts you like a brand in the brain.

The Villain
10-08-2011, 08:55 AM
Child's Play when Chucky comes alive for the first time.

Angra
10-08-2011, 09:12 AM
The hospital corridor scene in Exorcist 3-haunts you like a brand in the brain.

Isn't that the only scene anyone remember from that movie? :rolleyes:

Rela1024
10-08-2011, 11:15 AM
Isn't that the only scene anyone remember from that movie? :rolleyes:

lol atleast it was memorable it scared the hell outta me i was like wtf was that?!

leezuki
10-08-2011, 12:13 PM
i still have not watched exorcist 3, did not think it would be that good especially after the second one :eek:

leezuki
10-08-2011, 12:16 PM
american werewolf in london had a couple of jumps in that movie.

leezuki
10-08-2011, 12:17 PM
The end of Carrie. Still worked the 2nd and 3rd time I saw the film.

yes that movie still got me every time i watched it.

leezuki
10-08-2011, 12:19 PM
Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

When the guy trips over the step, falls into the doorway and Leatherface appears with the hammer. That still gets me.

that scene got me every time as well.

Angra
10-08-2011, 01:22 PM
lol atleast it was memorable it scared the hell outta me i was like wtf was that?!

That scene really stood out, yes. Especially because it was so different from the rest of the movie.

cheebacheeba
10-08-2011, 04:53 PM
i still have not watched exorcist 3, did not think it would be that good especially after the second one
I think most people are of the opinion that the second one may as well have been another film, and while some people might find it "interesting", it didn't really fit into the series at all.
The third had more of the same type of stuff as the first, bit more visual horror.
I'd see it if you liked the first one.

That said, two scenes that come to mind.

When the phone rings in the FIRST exorcist. The sudden break of oppressive near silence just worked wonders.

Beginning of Jeepers Creepers. The horn, just the sheer sound. Also in the catacomb under the church, when the guy came "back" to life.

The Villain
10-08-2011, 05:02 PM
I think most people are of the opinion that the second one may as well have been another film, and while some people might find it "interesting", it didn't really fit into the series at all.
The third had more of the same type of stuff as the first, bit more visual horror.

That said, two scenes that come to mind.

When the phone rings in the FIRST exorcist. The sudden break of oppressive near silence just worked wonders.

Beginning of Jeepers Creepers. The horn, just the sheer sound. Also in the catacomb under the church, when the guy came "back" to life.

For Jeepers Creepers, i'd also like to add when they drive by and see him throwing the body down the chute. It doesnt really make you jump but to me its the creepiest part of the movie.

hueyisme
10-08-2011, 05:41 PM
Haunting in Conneticut almost every scene made you jump.

Angra
10-08-2011, 08:49 PM

Speak for yourself. I thought that movie sucked.

myteemouth
10-09-2011, 12:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1YbOMDI59k

leezuki
10-09-2011, 02:54 AM
The stalking scene in Cat People (1942) with the scariest entrance of a bus ever.

Night Of The Demon (1957) when I first saw the demon as a kid.

The Shining "Here's Johnny after each stroke of the axe which is jumpy in itself".

The Burning (1981)the canoe scene (the whole film had been a tease up to this infamous moment)

Friday The 13th-When Jason jumps out of the lake at the end

friday the 13th allways made me jump, alot like carrie.

The Villain
10-09-2011, 05:57 AM

I like that movie but its not really jump worthy. At least not to me.

newb
10-09-2011, 08:05 AM
a couple scenes in the original The Eye....mostly the calligraphy scene though....gave me goosebumps....it helps to have the surround sound loud

leezuki
10-09-2011, 11:38 AM
a couple scenes in the original The Eye....mostly the calligraphy scene though....gave me goosebumps....it helps to have the surround sound loud

the eye was very chilling, especially the bit in the elevator,gave me the chills.

The Villain
10-09-2011, 01:22 PM

You reminded me that a bunch of scenes in the original One Missed Call made me jump.

SteyrAUG
10-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Will probably sound stupid but the scene in the Exorcist when the candle shoots the flame. Got me pretty good the first time.

leezuki
10-09-2011, 01:53 PM
Will probably sound stupid but the scene in the Exorcist when the candle shoots the flame. Got me pretty good the first time.

that made me jump too.

ChronoGrl
10-09-2011, 01:56 PM
The first few that come to mind:

The end of Friday the 13th when Jason jumps out of the lake - This really got to me in particular because, to be honest, I wasn't a huge fan of the movie - didn't find it scary, and was wondering "what the big deal was all about" - Then of course he jumped out of the water and I was too scared to drive home alone. :o

Alien when he's in the vents - That scene actually got me multiple times on various viewings.

Halloween - When Jamie Lee thinks that Michael is knocked out - She's in the foreground and he's in the background in the bedroom - And he sits up a looks at her (man, it sounds so lame written down, but that just got to me when viewing it)...

Blair Witch Project - The final scene, with the guy standing in the corner... Definitely stuck with me.

ZombieDrone
10-09-2011, 02:02 PM
[QUOTE=ChronoGrl;906725]The first few that come to mind:

Halloween - When Jamie Lee thinks that Michael is knocked out - She's in the foreground and he's in the background in the bedroom - And he sits up a looks at her (man, it sounds so lame written down, but that just got to me when viewing it)...[QUOTE]

My favourite scene in that film. This may be a bit off topic, but I was thinking earlier whether it was influenced by Suspiria. Sounds weird, but much like when Sarah emerges as one of the living dead at the end, the soundtrack doesn't start until a beat after the actual shock moment, which I've always felt is very effective and undeused.

leezuki
10-09-2011, 10:59 PM
The first few that come to mind:

The end of Friday the 13th when Jason jumps out of the lake - This really got to me in particular because, to be honest, I wasn't a huge fan of the movie - didn't find it scary, and was wondering "what the big deal was all about" - Then of course he jumped out of the water and I was too scared to drive home alone. :o

Alien when he's in the vents - That scene actually got me multiple times on various viewings.

Halloween - When Jamie Lee thinks that Michael is knocked out - She's in the foreground and he's in the background in the bedroom - And he sits up a looks at her (man, it sounds so lame written down, but that just got to me when viewing it)...

Blair Witch Project - The final scene, with the guy standing in the corner... Definitely stuck with me.

that bit in halloween first time i watched it scared the crap out of me lol, but i was very young then.

Chief Brody
10-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Halloween - When Jamie Lee thinks that Michael is knocked out - She's in the foreground and he's in the background in the bedroom - And he sits up a looks at her (man, it sounds so lame written down, but that just got to me when viewing it)....

Yes, that was a great moment. Also great when she is at the top of the stairs of the other house, and slowly the light increases to show that Michael is standing in the dark behind her!

Rela1024
10-10-2011, 01:57 PM
The scene in Sleepy Hollow when his mom falls out that thing and her face comes close to the screen kinda startling if ur sitting close to the tv like i was

neverending
10-10-2011, 05:05 PM
That makes me think of the scene in Pee Wee's Big Adventure with Large Marge...lol...

leezuki
10-11-2011, 12:52 PM
i am going to put grave encounters on here, i had about 5 or 6 jump out my chair moments in this movie, if not watched yet i recommend it.

Fearonsarms
10-13-2011, 12:55 AM
i am going to put grave encounters on here, i had about 5 or 6 jump out my chair moments in this movie, if not watched yet i recommend it.

Not seen that yet-I'll check it out.

detune
10-15-2011, 08:59 PM

Exorcist II was a BS cash-in sequel with no involvement from William Peter Blatty. Hence it is not canon! Blatty himself directed Exorcist III. His film The Ninth Configuration, which is loosely related to The Exorcist and shares a subplot with it, is what he considers the real Exorcist II (great film BTW but not horror).

As for my favorite jump scenes:

The double arm dismemberment from Santa Sangre...there's nothing in the film up to that point to indicate anything that crazy will happen, and it hits you like a ton of bricks!

The Car (1977) -- when the car jumps through the window

Last House on the Left -- when the machete suddenly wields into frame

detune
10-15-2011, 09:24 PM
Oh yeah, and the pig demon out the window in the original Amityville Horror.

ZombieDrone
10-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Oh yeah, and the pig demon out the window in the original Amityville Horror.

I find that horrific, but not in the way it was intended.
:D

detune
10-16-2011, 07:00 PM
I find that horrific, but not in the way it was intended.
:D

I just youtube'd that scene and I have to agree it is some major cheese :rolleyes: Only gave me a slight chill. But in fairness the last time I saw it was as a kid 30 years ago.

neverending
10-16-2011, 09:29 PM
IMO this is one of the things that's wrong with the way people look at movies these days. If you take individual scenes, and look at them out of context, and all the time thinking "okay something scary is supposed to happen any second" of course they're not going to be very effective.

Movies are supposed to be viewed in a continuous sequence, beginning to end, without rewind, pause, or fast forward, as a story about people, and what happens to them. What makes a "jump moment" effective is that you're not expecting it.

leezuki
10-18-2011, 01:12 PM
IMO this is one of the things that's wrong with the way people look at movies these days. If you take individual scenes, and look at them out of context, and all the time thinking "okay something scary is supposed to happen any second" of course they're not going to be very effective.

Movies are supposed to be viewed in a continuous sequence, beginning to end, without rewind, pause, or fast forward, as a story about people, and what happens to them. What makes a "jump moment" effective is that you're not expecting it.

that is so true, the whole point to a scare is the build up, an affect can be crap but the build up and music is what makes you jump or scare you.