PDA

View Full Version : what is the most scary film you've seen?

bud92
09-29-2011, 12:19 AM
whats yours?

KaydenTheron92
09-29-2011, 12:29 AM
Paranormal (i point out the screaming and grabbing arm incident)

bud92
09-29-2011, 12:30 AM
society is just not fair :) lols

bud92
09-29-2011, 12:32 AM
which paranormal?

KaydenTheron92
09-29-2011, 12:33 AM
The second - mostly cuz of the kitchen scene

bud92
09-29-2011, 12:37 AM
that was the most funny thing that happened in that film, i nearly cried with laughter :D

KaydenTheron92
09-29-2011, 12:39 AM
Meh, spose the woman being dragged into the basement in 2 and the woman being dragged from the bed in 1 was pretty good

bud92
09-29-2011, 12:45 AM
role on number 3 :)

ZombieDrone
09-29-2011, 12:56 AM
Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Easily.

I managed to sit through it the first time but after that the dread I felt meant that I had to watch it in two parts.

It's just scary enough for me to enjoy without going into the truly unplesant, which is something of a sweet spot as the film is still one of my favourites.

SteyrAUG
09-30-2011, 02:15 PM
Only a few movies made a actual impact on me, movies that scared me when I was 10 notwithstanding.

I made the mistake of seeing The Exorcist when I was 14 at the midnight moves with my girlfriend (her older sister got us in). So that meant I had to walk home after seeing that damn thing at about 2 am. Suffice to say it was a scary walk home, my personal senses heightened to about Defcon 2 mode doing the Bruce Lee side step the whole way home.

The other movie that got me was about the same age when I first say Texas Chainsaw Massacre in the early days of cable premium movie channels. I really had never considered that there were people that fucked up in the world and that made an impact on me. I knew there were killers and murderers and such, but I hadn't considered more deranged aspects of such people.

It was the little macabre touches like the arms of the chair being actual arms at the dinner table that did a number on my adolescent brain. Also gave me a significant disdain for the slasher films of that era (Friday the 13th, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, etc.) and those that came later (Saw, Hostel, etc.) The first couple Halloweens now have something of a positive nostalgia feel to them, but I still don't care for the genre.

I'd much rather watch Godzilla stomp Tokyo or older Universal monster movies.

neverending
09-30-2011, 02:29 PM
Your story about the Exorcist makes me think of the Bill Cosby routine about monsters. Have you ever heard it?

SteyrAUG
09-30-2011, 02:38 PM
Your story about the Exorcist makes me think of the Bill Cosby routine about monsters. Have you ever heard it?

Probably, but it's not coming to mind.

neverending
09-30-2011, 02:40 PM
It's called "Monsters" - from one of his first landmark albums.

TheWickerFan
09-30-2011, 04:10 PM

Do you mean his walk on the 9th Street Bridge with his friend Old Weird Harold?

neverending
09-30-2011, 04:56 PM
Yah, you had to have your music with you so the monsters wouldn't get you.

SteyrAUG
09-30-2011, 05:46 PM

That one must have gotten past me, I'll have to look it up. I was always more of a Richard Pryor kind of guy anyway.

neverending
09-30-2011, 06:19 PM
Without Cosby blazing the trail, Pryor would never have found an audience.

Bill Cosby won the Grammy for best comedy album four years in a row. Nobody before or since has done that.

SteyrAUG
09-30-2011, 07:10 PM
Without Cosby blazing the trail, Pryor would never have found an audience.

Bill Cosby won the Grammy for best comedy album four years in a row. Nobody before or since has done that.

It was not my intent to dismiss Cosby or any of his contributions. I was just stating a general preference.

TheWickerFan
10-01-2011, 02:47 AM

I loved those! I also loved the story of Bill Cosby listening to Lights Out and hearing the Chicken Heart story. That was always one of my all time favorites.

myteemouth
10-02-2011, 09:01 AM
The scariest film Ive seen lately is Insidious and that one kept me up nights

henke
10-03-2011, 11:20 AM
The Texas chainsaw massacre (the 1974 original) I thought it would be scary in a splatter-like way, but it really isn't - it's scary with a realistic feel and a bizarre atmosphere. After all these years I still haven't seen a horror movie that scared me as much as this did.

Rela1024
10-03-2011, 12:24 PM
The Exorcist and Dead Silence

ZombieDrone
10-03-2011, 01:01 PM
The Texas chainsaw massacre (the 1974 original) I thought it would be scary in a splatter-like way, but it really isn't - it's scary with a realistic feel and a bizarre atmosphere. After all these years I still haven't seen a horror movie that scared me as much as this did.

Exactly. It's incredible how much that film works on a psychological level.

Pariah.
10-05-2011, 03:58 AM
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BODA1OTY5NzU3NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODg1NTYzMQ@@._ V1._SY317_CR4,0,214,317_.jpg

Now don't get me wrong--you're not going to run down to the store buy this DVD than run home and jump every five minutes when you get to actually sit down and watch it. Its just not that kind of scarey.

I got this DVD as part of a set I purchased a few months ago and knew nothing about it and went in with all my defenses down. This film bothered me. I actually refuse to ever watch it again and if it wouldn't break up the boxset than I'd actually freely give away.

This film is disturbing and any one of my friends would tell you that actually means something coming from me.

The special effects aren't especially convincing.. its just.. the content...

Anyway, it wins my vote for 'Most scary film I've ever seen..'

leezuki
10-05-2011, 10:54 AM
the muppets, they used to scare the crap out of me when i was a kid :o

Fearonsarms
10-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Tombs Of The Blind Dead-its still creeps me at a bit.

Anthropophagus
10-08-2011, 01:54 AM
Tombs Of The Blind Dead-its still creeps me at a bit.

Good call,it doesnt creep me out but a great movie nonetheless.

Chief Brody
10-08-2011, 06:43 AM
Texas Chainsaw has to be the most scary film for me - so intense and relentless.

Two of the most scary scenes from movies for me would be Marion being attacked in the shower in Psycho :eek: - because of the build up that leads to it and then such a frightening scene of a naked vulnerable woman being repeatedly stabbed.

Chrissie being attacked at the start of Jaws:eek: (yes another woman being killed!). It's so frightening to see her being pulled around in the water by an unseen force. When I first saw it it terrified and captivated me in equal measure - and ensured that i'd never ever go swimming at night in my lifetime!!

Anthropophagus
10-08-2011, 07:17 AM
Hey Chief,nice to finally have you aboard here.:)

Fearonsarms
10-08-2011, 07:56 AM
I'll also give a heads up to I Walked With A Zombie-the most realistic looking zombie film I've seen.

Chief Brody
10-08-2011, 08:31 AM
Hey Chief,nice to finally have you aboard here.:)

Hi Dav, thanks for the welcome:)

Anthropophagus
10-08-2011, 10:47 AM
No worries mate,i see Smm is here too,any of the others crossed over do you know Chief?

Sistinas666
10-08-2011, 11:14 AM
We've gone through this before.....:mad:

Chief Brody
10-08-2011, 01:21 PM
No worries mate,i see Smm is here too,any of the others crossed over do you know Chief?

None that i've seen - though i'm sure Kev mentioned joining here (though not sure it will suit him as there's not much western action on this site!;))

bullshooter
10-11-2011, 01:47 PM
The Omen i found quite chilling. Not really sure why but i find it a very unsettling movie.

KaydenTheron92
10-11-2011, 11:11 PM
We watched Insidious last night and I have to admit that whilst parts were jumpy at the time (night, on our own ... Etc) - looking back now, I seem to remember laughing at myself for being so stupid ... Without giving anything away to those who have yet to see it, the face and the crib made me jump when the music kicked in and the voice over the monitor freaked me out ... Apart from that, I dont see what people rave about

detune
10-15-2011, 09:22 PM
The Omen i found quite chilling. Not really sure why but i find it a very unsettling movie.

Jerry Goldsmith's score does it IMO.

The Shining
The Exorcist
The Blair Witch Project (don't ask me why, but it scared the living crap out of me)

And Poltergeist. But I think that's just because I saw it in the theatre at age 12 and was pretty much afraid of my own shadow back then.

iSeymore
10-16-2011, 06:48 PM
hHonestly, the Sixth Sense when I was 9, before that...the original SCREAM. Since then, and now that I'm an adult being 20 and all, no media makes me feel frighten, except I sometimes have a problem with playing zombie oriented videogames.