PDA

View Full Version : Throwback Slashers

fearmonster
09-20-2011, 10:47 AM
People do not seem to understand the term "throwback slasher"!!

So to clarify: movies like "Exit 33", "Down the Road", "Laid to Rest", "Bereavement", and "Kids Go to the Woods...Kids Get Dead" are NOT throwbacks to 80's films! I don't even have to see any of these films to see that, their trailers alone are indicative of the fact.

If there are people tied up and getting tortured, or making references to slasher movies, it is NOT a throwback and it really annoys me filmmakers are marketing their films that way. Just because these films don't have big budgets and name talent among the casts do NOT make them throwback films.

Movie that ARE prime examples of throwbacks: "Dark Ride", "Blood Night", "All The Boys Love Mandy Lane", and "House of the Devil" (although the last is technically not a slasher).

Others that are close but their budgets or backing makes them debatable: "I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer", "Hatchet", and MTV'S "My Super Psycho Sweet 16."

A throwback should have no postmodern or self-referential elements and a modicum of "cheese factor" to go with an old school look or feel as well as run the gamut of tired cliches all the while taking itself totally seriously. The upcoming films "President's Day", "Bloody Homecoming", and "The Sleeper" all look like real throwbacks, so it will be nice if they can each actually pull it off.

If you disagree with me, let's please debate this topic because I'm curious to see what others think.

neverending
09-20-2011, 10:49 AM
Okay, well... thanks for the info.

Sistinas666
09-20-2011, 11:07 AM
What do I think?

I think you needed to rant....

Welcome to the forum.

The Villain
09-20-2011, 03:09 PM
Ummmm, who cares?

Zero
09-20-2011, 04:46 PM
*crickets*

leezuki
09-21-2011, 10:03 AM
whats a throwback movie ;)

bwind22
09-21-2011, 06:20 PM
Wow, tough crowd.

Movie that ARE prime examples of throwbacks: "Dark Ride", "Blood Night", "All The Boys Love Mandy Lane", and "House of the Devil" (although the last is technically not a slasher).

Others that are close but their budgets or backing makes them debatable: "I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer", "Hatchet", and MTV'S "My Super Psycho Sweet 16."

A throwback should have no postmodern or self-referential elements and a modicum of "cheese factor" to go with an old school look or feel as well as run the gamut of tired cliches all the while taking itself totally seriously. The upcoming films "President's Day", "Bloody Homecoming", and "The Sleeper" all look like real throwbacks, so it will be nice if they can each actually pull it off.

If you disagree with me, let's please debate this topic because I'm curious to see what others think.

I would debate you, but I happen to agree with the majority of what you said, especially this "A throwback should have no postmodern or self-referential elements and a modicum of "cheese factor" to go with an old school look or feel as well as run the gamut of tired cliches all the while taking itself totally seriously." I haven't seen (or heard of) some of the films you mentioned, but of the ones I have your assessment seems sound.

The Villain
09-21-2011, 07:18 PM
I just don't think it really matters what a movie is classified as. Who really cares? Does it really affect the movie in any way?

Ferox13
09-21-2011, 11:24 PM
What about THROWUP SLASHERS?

http://www.cultreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/svd011.gif

Elvis_Christ
09-22-2011, 02:40 PM
Personally I thought Laid To Rest was a great throwback to 80s slashers. Sure there were modern elements but it was pretty straight up slice and dice which I dug.

Exit 33 was fucking terrible. Got to write up a review for that and it ain't gonna be pretty.

The Villain
09-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Personally I thought Laid To Rest was a great throwback to 80s slashers. Sure there were modern elements but it was pretty straight up slice and dice which I dug.

Exit 33 was fucking terrible. Got to write up a review for that and it ain't gonna be pretty.

There are no words to describe how much i hated Laid to Rest.

For me Hatchet and House of The Devil are good throwback slashers although Hatchet seems to more pay homage to slashers then to really be a throwback.

Elvis_Christ
09-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Hatchet was crap. It marketed itself as being old school but the actual film is far from it. A couple of great kills aside the humour was annoying and the film just didn't do anything for me.

I don't get the slasher comparison with House Of The Devil. Read that a few times recently. It's more of a late 70s styled occult film to me. Loved it regardless and I really should get round to picking up the VHS version of it while it's still available.

The Villain
09-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Hatchet was crap. It marketed itself as being old school but the actual film is far from it. A couple of great kills aside the humour was annoying and the film just didn't do anything for me.

I don't get the slasher comparison with House Of The Devil. Read that a few times recently. It's more of a late 70s styled occult film to me. Loved it regardless and I really should get round to picking up the VHS version of it while it's still available.

Oops yeah it's not a slasher movie at all. I meant it more as it's a throwback to 70's era horror movies.

ChronoGrl
09-24-2011, 06:23 PM

I agree about Laid to Rest... I consider it a throwback slasher (with a modern setting) and I thought it was fantastic. Been meaning to check it out again since the sequel just came out.

I thought that Hatchet was overrated but do consider it a throwback, though it seems at times to be trying too hard.

House of the Devil is a quintessential throwback movie to me - I thought it was brilliant and definitely caught an entire era - It's occult and not slasher, though.