PDA

View Full Version : Scream 4 - Thumbs up or a down?

headswillroll
09-07-2011, 03:14 PM
So, I finally got around to watching Scream 4. Funny how it was supposed to be a trilogy, and then they go and spoil it with number ''4'' Though there were moments that kept my eyes glued to the tv, the rest was just a lot of wtf moments, or either a lot of laughing at the cheesy parts. Talk about a lot of eye rolling. Overall, for me, I found it to be a down thumbs rather than an up. Of course it will never meet up to the expectations of the first, or even second, (I won't even count the third one) I thought Wes Craven had really tried too much on this one. Talk about a real P*** take on horror movies.

So, to some up my ranting, it just didn't do it for me. I'm just curious as to what other fans of the scream movies, thought of number 4? :D

The Villain
09-07-2011, 03:42 PM
I hated it. It didnt take itself seriously and just seemed like a parody of the first one rather then a new edition. None of the things that made the first one so great could be found in this one and overall i was just bored and disappointed.

headswillroll
09-07-2011, 03:52 PM
I know! :(

I think Wes Craven ran out of sharp, fresh, ideas and, of course being offered a lot of money, he just slapped up a real rubbish plot line. It should have been left alone, and now I hope there won't be thoughts of making another one.

After the third, with everything coming out, it should have stayed like that. Ah, what can you do, ey? :D That's the thing with sequels, trilogies, and quadrilogies, etc, though, creative juice goes, ideas run dry, and the story lines are always rusty, so un-original and damn right a bore for a large percent of the audience. Look at Saw, after the first, the rest went right down to the gutter. I just about gave a good nod for the second, and it was ideas running out by then, but they still slapped up a lot of tripe. That's just my thought though on it all. :)

It will never change. Remakes of movies usually are rubbish, a lot of sequels to films are like it too. There is only a small margain that are good.

Rela1024
09-07-2011, 04:13 PM
I liked it I was very entertained it held my attention the entire time i wonder if it wouldve been better as a remake though or left alone?

The Villain
09-07-2011, 04:15 PM
I know! :(

I think Wes Craven ran out of sharp, fresh, ideas and, of course being offered a lot of money, he just slapped up a real rubbish plot line. It should have been left alone, and now I hope there won't be thoughts of making another one.

After the third, with everything coming out, it should have stayed like that. Ah, what can you do, ey? :D That's the thing with sequels, trilogies, and quadrilogies, etc, though, creative juice goes, ideas run dry, and the story lines are always rusty, so un-original and damn right a bore for a large percent of the audience. Look at Saw, after the first, the rest went right down to the gutter. I just about gave a good nod for the second, and it was ideas running out by then, but they still slapped up a lot of tripe. That's just my thought though on it all. :)

It will never change. Remakes of movies usually are rubbish, a lot of sequels to films are like it too. There is only a small margain that are good.

Well Wes Craven didnt write it did he? Didnt Kevin Williamson write it? Not all the blame can fall on him.

As for Saw, i think they get a bad rep. The first one is absolutely amazing but the other's arent really that bad. Sure after awhile parts of it just become "How can we kill people in cool new ways?" but i like how they all connect and tell a grand story. They don't all have to be as good as the first one. Sure they were made to make money but i didnt hate any of them and the way i think about it, every long running horror franchise has some sequels that aren't that good. Maybe the same thing can be said about Scream 4 as well but it just seemed so goofy to me.

Elvis_Christ
09-07-2011, 06:52 PM
I enjoyed this. Better than 2 or 3. It still dragged on a bit too long like it's predecessors but it was entertaining enough. I never really thought any of the series took itself seriously and all of them were essentially parodies. People disagree but I enjoyed Valentine more when it came to films from that era.

They must've lifted a lot of the dialogue from horror forums haha :D

The Villain
09-07-2011, 06:58 PM
I really dont get why people call them parodies. Just because they played to horror cliches and rules doesnt make it one. That was just its story, that a killer or killers were using horror as a basis while the characters exposed that themselves. When i think parody, i think scary movie and the like. I thought the first three Scream films did take themselves seriously. The fourth however did not.

Elvis_Christ
09-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Well I thought it was perhaps a more academic type of parody than say Scary Movie or Student Bodies. Any piece of self reflexive cinema has a certain amount of that.

The Villain
09-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Yeah i get what you're saying. I just feel like Scream was more having fun with horror then it was making fun of it. I think when you make fun of a genre or movie thats when its a parody. But hey thats just me. I think i knew i wasnt going to like Scream 4 right from the start because of how much i love the first one so that probably played a part for me.

headswillroll
09-08-2011, 03:07 AM
Yes, but didn't Wes Craven direct and produce, as I'm sure he did with all the others? So, I do presume that the director comes with the writer, and has the right to add or remove certain parts from the script. The director does have a say, so I'm pretty sure WC gave the nod with that script, thus making it him to play a part with the really rubbish plot line. :D Of course you are right though, in that part with the blame not falling all on him.

Hmmmm, I beg to disagree. But if you like them, then great! :) Nothing more fab than watching ''horror'' films like Saw and laughing the whole time and the ridicule of it all.

Yeah, of course there are trilogies, sequels, that have been great. I just don't think the quadrilogy of scream did it, number 4 ruining it as the trilogy it should have stayed as, and as for Saw (So what would that be? They've made , like, seven haven't they?) was another right load of tripe. Just my opinion on it! :)

It is quite a shocker to think it's been fifteen years since scream came out! Whoa! Haha.

leezuki
09-08-2011, 05:12 AM
absolute rubbish, but i agree with elvis it was better than 2 and 3 but still rubbish.

headswillroll
09-08-2011, 05:40 AM
absolute rubbish, but i agree with elvis it was better than 2 and 3 but still rubbish.

Really! I thought number two to be rather good, and three wasn't so bad either. And FTW, Courtney Cox - doesn't she look different now she's had some plastic surgery, haha. Number 4 was, as you said, rubbish. I think I'd most likely watch it again, but that would be the last time. :)

ABjerg
09-08-2011, 06:59 AM
I'm very different when it comes to these Scream-movies.

The 1st one is of course great, but the 2nd is actually my favorite as I found it more entertaining. Most hated the 2nd and really hated the 3rd and there I have to agree, the 3rd sucked ass.

The 4th was a mixed experience for me. I found it pretty entertaining and actually pretty good, but the plot was kinda disappointing tbh and the movie had its downs.

But it was much better than the 3rd!

Jokuc
09-10-2011, 12:39 PM
I didn't like it at all.
It was more like a comedy movie for me.
No, it's nothing I would like to watch again, Thumbs DOWN