PDA

View Full Version : Prison Horror Flicks

roshiq
06-27-2011, 11:32 AM
After watching Malefique (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0309832/) last night, I'm now just interested to check some more films that's got a creepy premise or story centers around inside a prison. Actually I just realized that I haven't seen much of this sorta films where all the horrors took place inside a penitentiary or even in a prison cell like Maléfique. So please recommend me some solid & good prison horror films; not the women in prison & Nazi exploitation films full with tortures & abuses as they are actually solid exploitation flicks rather than horror. And also please avoid the films like Cube or SAW where someone or a group of people kept captive or locked down somewhere and then forced to do some ghastly acts to get free. Even try to exclude the films with correctional facility sort of premise & mental asylums.
Prison means prison...where society/state put the convicts as the penalty or punishment for the crime they committed, where the "criminals" (truly guilty or not) physically confined and deprived of a range of personal freedoms and the dreams of escaping more often lurks around the corner of the cell walls...and sometimes redemption comes along with a price of unbearable sacrifices or surrender....

I'm looking for a bit of a Shawshank Redemption kind of premise with a purely horror element all over...may be with a supernatural or paranormal activity going on or haunting atmosphere all over or may be it's just psychologically twisted from start to finish. Or a film that portrays a scenario inside a prison when there's a zombie outbreak just starts outside (or may be a zombie outbreak starts within a prison revolt that turning out uncontrollable) with a post-apocalyptic tone or a film about a prison for the night creatures or the devils behind the bars.

Angra
06-27-2011, 11:52 AM
I can only think of 1. An old one from the 80s starring Viggo Mortensen.

neverending
06-27-2011, 12:16 PM
The only prison movie with a supernatural element I can think of is The Green Mile, but I'm sure you've seen that.

There must be others, because it's a very promising premise.

roshiq
06-27-2011, 12:17 PM
I can only think of 1. An old one from the 80s starring Viggo Mortensen.

Prison (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095904/) (1988)...humm...a prison horror starring Viggo Mortensen, sounds good.

Thanks for the rec, man.:)

Angra
06-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Prison (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095904/) (1988)...humm...a prison horror starring Viggo Mortensen, sounds good.

Thanks for the rec, man.:)

Yea that's the one.

It's not a bad movie really. Just don't expect to be blown away.

roshiq
06-27-2011, 12:23 PM
The only prison movie with a supernatural element I can think of is The Green Mile, but I'm sure you've seen that.

There must be others, because it's a very promising premise.

Yup...I have seen Green Mile. One of my very favorites but that's more of a supernatural drama than horror. But yeah, you got the point...it's indeed a very promising premise for horror and I want to see some more with a good story.

Elvis_Christ
06-27-2011, 04:03 PM
Haha I came in here to say Prison :)

I honestly can't think of anything else at the moment... the prison setting seems to mainly be used for exploitation, comedy, action or drama flicks. Horror films seem to use the setting briefly a lot of the time.

Angra
06-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Oh yes.. "Beyond Re-Animator". ;)

neverending
06-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Oh, good one!

_____V_____
06-27-2011, 08:34 PM
Ryuhei Kitamura's "Alive".

Fearonsarms
06-28-2011, 11:02 AM
Is Prison the one with that pipe sequence? I loved that when I saw it when I was a kid-haven't seen it since but I've never forgotten that pipe scene.

You might also like Furnace (2007) but make sure you see the unrated version.

newb
06-28-2011, 11:17 AM
http://cdn1.iofferphoto.com/img3/item/208/299/116/destroyer-dvd-80s-campy-horror-film-482bf.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095005/

Ferox13
06-29-2011, 12:42 AM
Hellblock 13 (shitty anthology with Gunnar Hanson)

Deadmen Walking (crappy zombie film)

Death House

roshiq
06-29-2011, 08:35 AM
Oh yes.. "Beyond Re-Animator". ;)

Oh, thanks for reminding it, it was fun.:)

Ryuhei Kitamura's "Alive".

Deadmen Walking (crappy zombie film)

Thanks a lot for the rec, guys! Specially this 2 sounds interesting, I'll check them out surely. Hope others are good also.

I honestly can't think of anything else at the moment... the prison setting seems to mainly be used for exploitation, comedy, action or drama flicks. Horror films seem to use the setting briefly a lot of the time.

Ditto.

I'm not saying the films already mentioned here are not so good films (as most of them I haven't seen yet) but it seems that there still haven't significant amount of mentionable/recommendable/good films came out with this particular set up. As now a days often we criticized modern horror films for lack of original ideas and settings, I think this kind of somewhat 'unused premise' can turn out to be a worthy or at least interesting experimental ground for today's young film makers.

cheebacheeba
06-29-2011, 08:46 AM
Well, "Story of Ricky" is kind of an over the top, gore heavy action movie with some pretty weird elements to it.

If you're into gaming, check out "The suffering", few years back now but it was a very solid prison/horror title.

roshiq
06-29-2011, 09:01 AM
If you're into gaming, check out "The suffering", few years back now but it was a very solid prison/horror title.

Nope, I'm not into gaming. I've already one addiction (watching horror films)...I think I can't manage time & money for another one...:D

tachii
07-06-2011, 05:06 PM
the only two i can think of are pretty crappy, sorry :(

shadow: dead riot
Shocker

leezuki
07-07-2011, 02:26 AM
i cant think of many there is one called haunted prison have not seen it yet tho.

roshiq
07-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Here's an upcoming one...just found this about on some other site.

Good to see Michael Rooker as a Prison guard & Bruce Greenwood as the warden!

AjcV-LzWl2g

Cell 213 becomes home to Michael Gray a cocky young attorney, after a gruesome twist of circumstance lands him in the South River State Penitentiary, framed for the murder of an incarcerated client.
Unnatural forces are causing prisoners to ‘off’ themselves at abnormal rates and Michael soon discovers that matters of guilt and innocence are not as cut and dry as he would like to believe trapped in this nightmarish cell.

leezuki
07-17-2011, 06:58 AM
Oh, thanks for reminding it, it was fun.:)

Thanks a lot for the rec, guys! Specially this 2 sounds interesting, I'll check them out surely. Hope others are good also.

Ditto.

I'm not saying the films already mentioned here are not so good films (as most of them I haven't seen yet) but it seems that there still haven't significant amount of mentionable/recommendable/good films came out with this particular set up. As now a days often we criticized modern horror films for lack of original ideas and settings, I think this kind of somewhat 'unused premise' can turn out to be a worthy or at least interesting experimental ground for today's young film makers.

very true, alot of the movies are rubbish, but if the movies dont take itself seriously it makes the movie alot more fun.