PDA

View Full Version : horror movies you thought were going to be terrible but turned out enjoyable,any year

jbp is scary
06-05-2011, 09:17 PM
I've been noticing that most horror movies that I have watched and liked are the movies that I either laugh and say they aren't scary or I think to myself that they aren't worth watching because they are probably terrible! for example the movie "The Stuff" I laughed at after reading it's review but it turned out be more disturbing than perhaps any horror film I've watched! A movie I really thought would be terrible was"Amusement"but it turned out to be a horror film I like to watch again and again because it's twisted and very scary! Anyone else got horror films in your head that you thought would be terrible but,after watching them you liked them,(for whatever reason)? Also their is no year restriction for this thread but,your movies must be horror films,yes,that even means godzilla,the spiral,or even a very rare film that noone has heard of,or is foreign!

TheWickerFan
06-06-2011, 12:42 AM
Jeepers Creepers

swiss tony
06-06-2011, 08:01 AM
I really liked Wake Wood for it's distinctly British classic horror characteristics but it was badly slated.

The antithesis of this, for me , is Black Swan. Not great, to be honest.

The Villain
06-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Oh man good thread idea.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning: I hated the remake of the original so i thought i would hate the prequel to it as well but that one was really good. Not as good as the original movie but much better then the remake.

28 Weeks Later: I hated 28 Days Later but really enjoyed the sequel.

Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon: The first time i saw the trailer for this one i wasnt that interested, it just seemed boring but then i started to hear a lot of good things about it and decided to watch it and loved it.

Elvis_Christ
06-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Death Race 2 was one recently that surprised me.

Fearonsarms
06-06-2011, 08:56 PM
Severance cos I knew it would have very unlikeable characters in and I was right but I was wrong in thinking the film would be trash I actually liked it.

swiss tony
06-07-2011, 06:49 AM
The Exorcist III is one of my favourites but never gets any credit. Again, it's probably a victim of being in it's big brother's shadow. Kind of like all of Shymalan's movies subsequent to 6th Sense.

Fearonsarms
06-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Ogre-wasn't as bad as I was expecting and actually quite good if you think about it-the cheap CGI of the Ogre was atrocious though

Ferox13
06-08-2011, 11:37 PM
Death Race 2 was one recently that surprised me.

Yeah - it was better than the first..

The Exorcist III is one of my favourites but never gets any credit. Again, it's probably a victim of being in it's big brother's shadow. Kind of like all of Shymalan's movies subsequent to 6th Sense.

You serious - it always gets bit praise from horror fans..

http://www.youdontknowjersey.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/A-Perfect-Getaway-Poster-Inghilterra.jpg

I expected this to suck but I ended up liking it alot. Timothy Olyphant ws great and i liked when all the predicable bits were over it just when kinda nuts..

It did kinda cheat though..

Fearonsarms
06-09-2011, 06:53 AM
The Killer Nun (1978) I expected this to be complete nunsploitation and it didnt disappoint however it had substance to it which did surprise me.

Elvis_Christ
06-09-2011, 03:43 PM
Yeah I caught A Perfect Getaway in a hotel awhile back and enjoyed it.

Severance cos I knew it would have very unlikeable characters in and I was right but I was wrong in thinking the film would be trash I actually liked it.

Haha I thought this would be great but it turned out to be rubbish. Lots of people like it but it just annoyed the fuck out of me :D

swiss tony
06-11-2011, 02:14 AM
[QUOTE=Ferox13;894503]

You serious - it always gets bit praise from horror fans..QUOTE]

Yeah, you're right, but relatively speaking it's kind of a forgotten movie. I bet only horror fans ever bother to watch it and, given the inclination of the younger fans to steer clear of these classics, I'd say it's only cherished by guys like us.

I mean, the first in the trilogy will always be watched but, as there was no fan fair even on it's release, and given peoples preconception that sequals are almost always bad, it'll be avoided.

My message is this, watch this movie asap because you'll be very pleasantly surprised!:)

jbp is scary
06-20-2011, 05:27 PM
Great answers Every body here's another from me,Sleep away camp,I heard it had a surprise ending,so I watched it and I eventually started to like it and I still watch sleep away camp 2 and 3 to cheer myself up,I can agree that some movies don't get well deserved credit, like the original 3 movies of sleep away camp, I was angry when a return to sleep away camp was made with a new killer actor because as you all know some horror films turn out severely bad when an actor or story line is replaced entirely or repeated but changed slightly,I say respect the originals of any horror movie or show series!

Fearonsarms
06-23-2011, 05:03 AM
I still haven't seen Sleepaway Camp I think I may have overlooked it will give it a chance

jbp is scary
06-25-2011, 12:40 AM
yeah the first one is a mystery the other 2 are just plain fun(only way I figured I could give no spoilers!) watching over looked horrormovies is my hobby like I'm sure you haven't watched the movie C.H.U.D. but I found it through boredom,also The stuff I found after a few supposedly bad movie sites,but puppet master still is the one that has had the biggest impact on me because the movie series is supposed to be bad but,it's addicting to watch for me, I even have it's goofy cousin movie the doll graveyard now it was pretty bad LOL!

ABjerg
06-25-2011, 04:36 AM
Must be "El Orfanato (The Orphanage)". It was in spanish, it didn't look scary to me, the story seemed boring. But it actually turned out to be one of my fav movies of all time.

Fearonsarms
06-28-2011, 10:32 AM
yeah the first one is a mystery the other 2 are just plain fun(only way I figured I could give no spoilers!) watching over looked horrormovies is my hobby like I'm sure you haven't watched the movie C.H.U.D. but I found it through boredom,also The stuff I found after a few supposedly bad movie sites,but puppet master still is the one that has had the biggest impact on me because the movie series is supposed to be bad but,it's addicting to watch for me, I even have it's goofy cousin movie the doll graveyard now it was pretty bad LOL!

Thanks for avoiding spoilers-I just watched Sleepaway Camp and I was pleasantly surprised. The ending certainly is twisted enough to justify the hype and elevates it above the usual standard slasher fare-I don't think I will forget it-look forward to seeing the sequels. You're right I haven't seen CHUD but I've heard of it will check it out. Ah Puppetmaster love love that film-the introduction of CGI killed the series however in the later sequels.

Nini_luv5
06-30-2011, 03:59 PM
Definetly Devil

The Villain
06-30-2011, 04:06 PM
Just thought of another one:

The Host: I was working at Blockbuster at the time and rented this on a whim and ended up loving it. Now its one of my favorite monster movies.

leezuki
07-07-2011, 06:29 AM
i really liked vacancy , had alot of bad reviews but i really enjoyed it.
piranha 3d
friday the 13th (2009), i thought it was one of the best yet.

leezuki
07-18-2011, 05:29 AM
Just thought of another one:

The Host: I was working at Blockbuster at the time and rented this on a whim and ended up loving it. Now its one of my favorite monster movies.

i hated that film but so many people loved it,i think it's cus i dont like monster movies.

The Villain
07-18-2011, 05:31 AM
i hated that film but so many people loved it,i think it's cus i dont like monster movies.

:eek: :mad: :(

That movie is amazing and how can you not like monster movies??????

I love monster movies especially giant ones like this one. I just know the American one is going to be crap though.

leezuki
07-18-2011, 05:35 AM
:eek: :mad: :(

That movie is amazing and how can you not like monster movies??????

I love monster movies especially giant ones like this one. I just know the American one is going to be crap though.

i hate when they have to remake everything,most movies are just remake's now.
but i am more into slasher movies,but i supose zombie movies are monster movies in a way ?.

The Villain
07-18-2011, 05:44 AM
but i am more into slasher movies,but i supose zombie movies are monster movies in a way ?.

Well i guess anything could really be categorized into monster movies. Usually i tend to only call something a monster movie if its a giant monster. Just to keep things easier. But thats just me.

hammerfan
07-18-2011, 05:52 AM
My two cents worth: my definition of monsters: vampires, werewolves, zombies, aliens, reanimated corpses (like Frankenstein).....if I think of any others, I'll let you know.

The Villain
07-18-2011, 05:55 AM
You see when i think monsters, i think of things that cant be categorized any other way or at least not to the well known ones you suggested. Godzilla isnt a zombie or vampire or whatever so he's a monster. Same with the host monster and clover. But a zombie is a zombie so i would call it as such.

leezuki
07-18-2011, 05:59 AM
i think everything in horror is a monster,like michael myers he is a monster cus he kills,so people will look at him as a monster for doing those thing's.

The Villain
07-18-2011, 06:03 AM
i think everything in horror is a monster,like michael myers he is a monster cus he kills,so people will look at him as a monster for doing those thing's.

Oh of course. Humans are the biggest monsters there are. Im not denying things being monsters, i just classify them differently so its easier for me.

leezuki
07-21-2011, 11:47 AM
[QUOTE=The Villain;897726]Oh of course. Humans are the biggest monsters there are. Im not denying things being monsters, i just classify them differently so its easier for me.[/QUOT
i know what u mean alot of people would classify monsters as not human,but which is right or wrong i dont know :confused:

living_dead_guy
08-08-2011, 07:52 PM
The remake of Day of the Dead... as a remake it sucked... wasn't like the original at all and couldn't live up to it. As a movie on its own, not bad.

The Villain
08-08-2011, 08:11 PM
I'm indifferent towards the remake. It was nothing special and coming after the phenomenal remake of Dawn Of The Dead, it was bound to be a failure.

leezuki
08-13-2011, 04:47 AM
i watched the warriors way a while back thinking it was going to be crap, but i enjoyed it alot and brought it on dvd.

The Villain
08-13-2011, 09:19 AM
i watched the warriors way a while back thinking it was going to be crap, but i enjoyed it alot and brought it on dvd.

I liked that too. A lot of people i talk to thought it was stupid though. I thought it was fun

leezuki
08-13-2011, 10:16 AM
I liked that too. A lot of people i talk to thought it was stupid though. I thought it was fun

yeah, i supose when u go into a movie thinking it's going to suck u enjoy it more.

The Villain
08-13-2011, 10:39 AM
yeah, i supose when u go into a movie thinking it's going to suck u enjoy it more.

That's a strange way to think about it

leezuki
08-13-2011, 10:43 AM
That's a strange way to think about it

lol, 90% time that happens with me.

Fearonsarms
08-21-2011, 05:03 AM
No Man's Land-The Rise Of Reeker-I didnt expect there to be a metaphysical element to this. This took it far ahead the average slasher film-surprising and deeper than I expected.

leezuki
08-28-2011, 05:02 AM
stuck, thought it was going to be a dull movie but enjoyed it very much.

The Villain
08-28-2011, 07:12 AM
stuck, thought it was going to be a dull movie but enjoyed it very much.

I liked that one too

Rela1024
08-28-2011, 09:13 AM
Sleepaway Camp....after I got over the bad acting and the weirdness I started to get more into it the movie it's pretty obvious on how things turned out but the ending is still kinda cool

horrorflickchick1
08-29-2011, 04:01 PM
Jeepers Creepers

Ooh, loved that one.

William Seabrook
08-30-2011, 12:32 PM
Ooh, loved that one.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised with that movie too.

jbp is scary
09-17-2011, 01:24 AM

yeah I agree remakes are pretty lame and modernized,and I like slasher films where most of the time in the movie the killer wins at least for awhile! especially when the movie is creative,which includes such titles as child's play 1 through 3 ,and sleepaway camp,ahhh sweet horror!