PDA

View Full Version : Which of those movies is best?

Jokuc
04-19-2011, 06:51 AM
Alright so don't ask me why please but,
which of these French movies is best and which is goriest..
..in your opinion?

Frontier(s)
Martyrs
Haute Tension (/High)
Ŕ l’intérieur (Inside)
Irreversible

Angra
04-19-2011, 07:07 AM
To me it would be Inside (also the goriest by far) closely followed by Haute Tension, with Frontiers being the "worst" of the four.

FreddyMyers
04-19-2011, 08:23 AM
I usually kept all 4 under the same category of "Best French Horror," but if giving a list it'd consist of Inside, Martyrs, Haute Tension, then Frontier(s).

Martyrs wouldve been the best had they kept up the insane fist half instead of splitting it.

Gotta ask why though. You due for a 7-8 hr extreme gore fest? Id skip dinner if its your first time viewing them.

Ferox13
04-19-2011, 09:21 AM
I liked all 4. I don't really get the dislike for Frontiers.

Jokuc
04-19-2011, 09:27 AM
I usually kept all 4 under the same category of "Best French Horror," but if giving a list it'd consist of Inside, Martyrs, Haute Tension, then Frontier(s).

Martyrs wouldve been the best had they kept up the insane fist half instead of splitting it.

Gotta ask why though. You due for a 7-8 hr extreme gore fest? Id skip dinner if its your first time viewing them.

@You due for a 7-8 hr extreme gore fest?..
Not really ^^ ..And skip dinner? Why? hah I like gory movies.
(I've watched all of them exept Frontier(s).)
I also wonder if any of your opinions change when I put Irreversible on the list.

neverending
04-19-2011, 09:54 AM
I liked all 4. I don't really get the dislike for Frontiers.

Agreed. I really liked Frontier(s).

Angra
04-19-2011, 10:31 AM
I just wanna point out I didn't dislike Frontiers. It just wasn't as good as the 3 other mentioned, imo.

Irreversible... hmm... definitely good, but too cruel for my taste. Of the 5 frenchies it would come in third. Not a movie i would ever want to see again.

FreddyMyers
04-19-2011, 10:35 AM
I enjoyed all 4 and never thought id be putting Frontiers on the bottom of any list.

For a while there i thought the French were taking over the genre. Has France put out any good horror lately? Was La Hoarde French, I thought that was a pretty good one....

Angra
04-19-2011, 10:37 AM
Was La Hoarde French, I thought that was a pretty good one....

You couldn't tell? :rolleyes:

Jokuc
04-19-2011, 10:49 AM
Irreversible... hmm... definitely good, but too cruel for my taste. Of the 5 frenchies it would come in third. Not a movie i would ever want to see again.

Why not? too cruel ? :p

Angra
04-19-2011, 10:57 AM
Why not? too cruel ? :p

Yes. Too cruel. Too real, if you get my meaning.

ChronoGrl
04-19-2011, 11:48 AM

The "problem" for me is that I'm not a huge fan of the backwoods torture genre... Not really a dis on the film, I guess, just not my bag.

Of the aforementioned films, I would say that Inside was really the only one that I "liked," again based on the genre. As for the others:

Martyrs - Amazing movie... Just made me so incredibly depressed - I can't think of another movie that I've seen that has made me feel that... hopeless and in despair. Seriously... Ick...
Haute Tension (/High) - INCREDIBLE movie... Up until the end. One of the worst endings in movie history.ever. (ok, probably an over-statement, but I really liked the first part of the movie so much that the fact that the ending completely
Irreversible - To be honest, based on reading about this movie, I don't think I'll be able to watch it, but quite a lot of people have reviewed it well

newb
04-19-2011, 12:21 PM
My opinion

1. Ŕ l’intérieur (Inside)
2.Haute Tension (/High)
3. Irreversible
4. Martyrs
5. Frontier(s)

Inside also being the goriest

although the fire extinguisher scene in Irreversible was enough to put that close to the top

Diabolical
04-19-2011, 12:27 PM
high tension is incredible. its reminds me of dean koontz book called Intensity. i just started Irreversible. Its pretty gay so far. Literally.

edit. ive got 30 minutes left and to be honest. its not very good. the "revenge" was short, the rape was boring. i feel like im watching someones saturday night. it sucks.

the girl is fucking sexy though. fuck, id prolly rape her too. haha

Fearonsarms
04-19-2011, 05:11 PM
I adored Haute Tension and Irreversible for me those are amazing films.
I hated Martyrs cos of the second half as I've said before.

Will see Inside soon looking forward to it-not so Frontiers. An older French film people may like is The Living Dead Girl.

neverending
04-19-2011, 05:15 PM
high tension is incredible. its reminds me of dean koontz book called Intensity.

Because it was based on the first half of that book.

Diabolical
04-19-2011, 05:49 PM
o i c. that would make sense.

neverending
04-19-2011, 08:25 PM
There's a made for cable version starring John McGinty that sticks closer to the source material and adapts the whole book. It's in two parts.

Angra
04-19-2011, 09:37 PM
There's a made for cable version starring John McGinty that sticks closer to the source material and adapts the whole book. It's in two parts.

But it isn't better..

neverending
04-20-2011, 12:54 AM
I didn't say it was.

roshiq
04-20-2011, 01:18 AM
Ŕ l’intérieur (Inside)
Martyrs
Frontier(s)
Haute Tension (/High)
Irreversible

Some other recs:
Ils
Trouble Every Day
Calvaire aka The Ordeal
In My Skin
The Brotherhood of the Wolf
La Horde

Jokuc
04-20-2011, 02:19 AM
Haute Tension (/High) - INCREDIBLE movie... Up until the end.
One of the worst endings in movie history.ever. (ok, probably an over-statement,
but I really liked the first part of the movie so much that the fact that the ending completely

I agree partly. I don't think it's the "worstendinginthewholehistoryofhorrormovies" But!
as you said, it's not good. I agree on that one.

i just started Irreversible. Its pretty gay so far. Literally. ive got 30 minutes left
and to be honest. its not very good. the "revenge" was short,
the rape was boring. i feel like im watching someones saturday night.
it sucks. the girl is fucking sexy though. fuck, id prolly rape her too. haha

Sad to say but I have to disagree with you here. I liked the movie and it felt.. quite real actully. I like this kind of movies, so I'll copy what you said. I feel like I'm watching someones saturday night. I like it. And is a rape ment to be fun? Dude you've got some serious problems ;) fuck, id prolly rape her too. haha ..Oh, oh.. Proof.

Because it was based on the first half of that book.
I didn't know that! Thanks :)

La Horde, Ils
Yeah I've watched those two.

By the way, I watched Frontier(s) last night and it was OK. Sadly I had too high expectations..

Diabolical
04-20-2011, 03:16 AM
Well, she pretty much was looking like a whore...Real ha? I think it would have been more real for the girl the tapeworm beat down to have gone and got the police and been arrested before the 20 minute rape ended.

*please edit the evil in your screen name. you dont deserve it.

Ferox13
04-20-2011, 03:34 AM

You beat me too it..

Angra
04-20-2011, 03:53 AM
You beat me too it..

Good to know. ;)

Jokuc
04-20-2011, 04:51 AM
*please edit the evil in your screen name. you dont deserve it.

..Pleased?

Diabolical
04-20-2011, 06:58 AM
i was only fucking with you. im about to watch frontiers. i really hate reading subtitles though.

Jokuc
04-20-2011, 10:20 AM
i was only fucking with you. im about to watch frontiers. i really hate reading subtitles though.

Fucking with me? Aww.. You got me lol..
But actully, I think my new one is better :D
And I hate subtitles too..

Diabolical
04-20-2011, 11:09 AM
i REALLY enjoyed Frontiers. Its my type of movie. it was kind of like a French TCM for our time, mixed with some Hostel. Some great violence. I had been wanting to watch it for a little, so thanks to this thread, I did. Not sure when I will get to see Inside. I have so many movies in line. I give Frontiers a strong B.

Jokuc-when I said I was joking, it was only about changing your name. -wink

Jokuc
04-20-2011, 01:08 PM
Not sure when I will get to see Inside. I have so many movies in line.

Watch Inside, It's great! (It totally freaks out on the very end but yeah:D)

Diabolical
04-20-2011, 02:21 PM
from what i read it sounds slightly similar to the strangers? is this accurate?

Sistinas666
04-20-2011, 03:38 PM
from what i read it sounds slightly similar to the strangers? is this accurate?

The Strangers is a US remake of the French film Them. I didn't find Inside and The Strangers to be similar.

Diabolical
04-20-2011, 05:03 PM
i knew about Them, I own it. As far as Inside goes, I just read that some woman keeps coming to her house, possibly late at night? IDK im wasted.

Sistinas666
04-20-2011, 05:36 PM
i knew about Them, I own it. As far as Inside goes, I just read that some woman keeps coming to her house, possibly late at night? IDK im wasted.

I get ya, in the home invasion sense I guess they are similar but other than that they are nothing alike imo.

Angra
04-20-2011, 11:18 PM
It's the goriest movie since Dead Alive, just without any sense of humor. Coz, you know... it's french. They don't know what that is.

Jokuc
04-20-2011, 11:54 PM
No, no, no! Inside and The Strangers/Them(Ils) Is NOT the same.
And this woman stays inside a house and a girl is hiding
(but the other one knows where she is)

TheWickerFan
04-21-2011, 02:03 AM
Loved Ils and Martyrs. Inside was the goriest though.

Totally agree with Chrono about High Tension.

Damn Heathen
03-26-2015, 02:09 AM

No you didn't.

No one really likes that garbage.

Can't wait for the new Hellraiser from the Inside directors.