PDA

View Full Version : Triangle (2009) - Review

Elliot Robertson
10-01-2010, 02:14 PM
I just finished watching Triangle and my post-movie words are... wow.
Triangle, Directed by Christopher Smith starring Melissa George starts out like any typical Horror Movie, but it takes it beyond anything you'll ever see. Things go from weird to weirder as Jess (Melissa George) becomes involved in a storm on a yacht with six other passengers. One passenger strays overboard and we don't hear from her again.

When the storm calms things get even weirder as a large desolate ship rolls in. First impressions were that it was the Titanic, as it looked like a near-exact copy. There seems to be someone on board as the stranded passengers are led onto the ship.

From here the movie takes you on a ride of "What the hell's?" and "hmmm's...." as the story of Jess unfolds.

I would not go so far as to call this movie a horror as it's more of a psycological thriller. It is however, an excellent movie. The director seems to have the flare of Directors such as Christopher Nolan etc as he delivers one of the best Horror's I've ever seen.

This movie surely makes my top 50 un-mainstream horror list as it's one for the books. If you have not seen this movie, see it now. But please, go into it with an open mind.

My Overall Rating: 8.2/10
My Horror Rating: 3/10
IMDB's Rating: 6.8/10
*IMDB's rating is flawed as this deserves at least a 7.5 for it's sheer class. I think it's because it's a british movie...

WordsWorth_Longinton
10-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Triangle

Mysterious ship,
Déjà vu, and now I must
Go to the theater

william1597
10-06-2010, 09:31 PM
I just finished watching Triangle and my post-movie words are... wow.
Triangle, Directed by Christopher Smith starring Melissa George starts out like any typical Horror Movie, but it takes it beyond anything you'll ever see. Things go from weird to weirder as Jess (Melissa George) becomes involved in a storm on a yacht with six other passengers. One passenger strays overboard and we don't hear from her again.

When the storm calms things get even weirder as a large desolate ship rolls in. First impressions were that it was the Titanic, as it looked like a near-exact copy. There seems to be someone on board as the stranded passengers are led onto the ship.

From here the movie takes you on a ride of "What the hell's?" and "hmmm's...." as the story of Jess unfolds.

I would not go so far as to call this movie a horror as it's more of a psycological thriller. It is however, an excellent movie. The director seems to have the flare of Directors such as Christopher Nolan etc as he delivers one of the best Horror's I've ever seen.

This movie surely makes my top 50 un-mainstream horror list as it's one for the books. If you have not seen this movie, see it now. But please, go into it with an open mind.

My Overall Rating: 8.2/10
My Horror Rating: 3/10
IMDB's Rating: 6.8/10
*IMDB's rating is flawed as this deserves at least a 7.5 for it's sheer class. I think it's because it's a british movie...

You have given very low Horror Ratings buddy. I think the movie deserves more.:)

Elliot Robertson
10-07-2010, 08:35 AM
You have given very low Horror Ratings buddy. I think the movie deserves more.:)
The film is great, but the horror is mediocre.

_____V_____
10-07-2010, 09:04 AM
Horror is not about a bunch of naked skeletons jumping into your screen and doing the lambada. Neither is it restricted to knocks, bumps, groans, ghosts, sucking blood and ripping off heads, or paranormal phenomena.

Sometimes stark, naked realisation is the most horrific experience one can go through. Realisation that you have to relive each painful moment of going insane, facing your own half-insane, half-delirious self, killing your friends one-by-one, committing the kill of your own self and staring at the dead body of your only kid who means the world to you, and repeatedly reliving the whole nightmarish sequence over and over and over again...and realising with a half-resigned, half-chilled feeling that you are trapped in that sequence. Forever.

The horror in this fantastic little film was very much there. You just need to empathise with it to feel it.

ChronoGrl
10-07-2010, 09:32 AM
The horror in this fantastic little film was very much there. You just need to empathise with it to feel it.

Agreed - There were a couple of times where the hair stood up on my arms - The creepiness was absolutely delightful.

LOVED this film.

roshiq
10-07-2010, 10:26 AM
My Overall Rating:
My Horror Rating:

Hummm...it's interesting...I mean funny actually. What's the point of distinguishing "horror" so separately when you're rating/reviewing a solid 'horror film'? Moreover, the term "my HORROR rating" also sounds kinda weird...hehehe...yeah, I understand but sometimes certain rating can be seems like 'horrifying to see or read for the fans of the film'.

Anyway, I'm just wondering do you have sub-genres in your 'horror rating'...like

My Supernatural/Spooky rating?
My Dead Rating?
My Psychological rating?
My spiritual/paranormal rating?
My evil child rating?
My shape shifting rating?
My Survival/Slasher rating?
My splatter Punk rating?
etc. etc.

Elliot Robertson
10-07-2010, 01:21 PM
There was next to nothing that scared me in this film, that's why the Horror rating is so low. However, just my opinion. I liked the film very much too. I've seperated overall from horror for a reason. Some Horror films can be good while their scare-factor can be low. This film did give some sens of isolationism, the boat approaching from the mist made me feel rather scared. I at first glance thought it was in fact the Titanic. This film delivered more than I expected and for that I gave it a rather high rating. But when it comes to horror, it was nothing new.

massacre man
10-07-2010, 06:06 PM
Horror is not about a bunch of naked skeletons jumping into your screen and doing the lambada.

You sir, have no idea what you're talking about and should not have access to your own computer. :mad: