View Full Version : The Mist (2007) - Review

Elliot Robertson
09-29-2010, 10:19 AM
Here I go again...
The Mist, directed by Frank Darabont starring the likes of Thomas
Jane, Marcia Gay Harden is nothing but absolute crap from
the fifteen minute mark!

The Film starts off with a very nice idea as David Drayton is
at home painting film posters and a storm just rolls in.
Typically, it gets worse from this point. The Storm smashes
the place up a bit and causes a bit of a mess outside.
The storm seems to have threw up some mist rising up
over the lake near David Draytons home, even though it's never
happened before, this is okay to him...

David and His son take a trip to the grocery store with his
angry neighbour. Now from here, this is the setting for pretty
much the rest of the movie.

The Mist was pretty much mis-spelt. I feel it should be called
The Store. The Movie focuses primarily on David and his son
surviving with a couple of other terrified customers and
employees.

A good thing about this film is its ability to maintain a sense
of the usual Human stupidness that kicks in when something bad
happens. Although, it's really intensified by Mrs. Carmody
played by Marcia Gay Harden. She is a very stereotypical
preacher that becomes confused and begins to believe she
is a link to God.

As you may have guessed it becomes a ramble of stupid
acting and stereotypes. One group goes out and dies,
another goes out and dies... It's the same repetetive
stuff that sadly happens all the time with mainstream
horrors now a days.

After all the bad acting, the cgi... the cgi pretty
much made the film what it is. The Reason they probably
can pass The Mist for a Horror is of how bad the cgi
was. But seriously... an eighteen million dollar budget
seriously... that's the equivalent to over eleven million
pounds! Programs nowadays can achive BETTER Cgi than this
film from as little as no money what so ever.

I'd reccomend this film to anyone who just wants a quick horror
to watch just for the fun of it. But it's nothing new at all
and I was dissapointed to what they did with such a good
concept.

I've been a little evil on the movie here. Having just watched it again. I guess I've been a little annoyed at this Mrs. Carmody. The film actually comes across as a nice little horror. The only problem is a few bits of bad acting and this Mrs. Carmody. Having never read the novel, I can't say how well they converted it to the big screen. All this aside, I've changed my ratings.
Edit/Delete Message

My Overall Rating: 7.1/10
My Horror Rating: 6.4/10
IMDB's Rating: 7.4/10

ferretchucker
09-29-2010, 02:34 PM
I'm gonna have to disagree with you there, my friend. I thought it was a very well done film in that it doesn't overdo the CGI monsters. It maintains sufficient mystery by concealing a lot of the antagonistic force in the thick mist and is unique compared to most monster movies because it deals with human drama. I loved the fact that it was about the people in the store's gradual descent into madness and trust me, it does happen in these situations were a group of strangers are thrust together in a stressful situation. Look up the Stanford Prison Experiment, it's quite spooky how people can become so heartless when they feel they have a position of power.

endo
09-29-2010, 03:58 PM
Yeah. I have to disagree as well. I thought The Mist and 1408 were two of the best conversions to film of Stephen Kings work.

Thought it was great all the way through. To each their own, but I loved it.

Straker
09-29-2010, 08:26 PM
I'd say I'm somewhere in the middle, I didn't mind parts of it, but I kinda agree with parts of the review. I could say its way overrated, but its not since so many people seem to like it. I thought it was pretty crude in pretty much every way possible though. Acting was hammed to the max, cgi looked average and the whole disintegration of a micro society concept, due to a religious nut job, was poorly executed.

Remove Mrs. Carmody, add some more explosions, and throw in some sort of shopping for weapons montage around the one hour mark and it would've been much better. Most people seemed to love the whole Mrs. Carmody storyline though, but honestly, I thought the execution of that storyline was pretty pathetic.

I also heard it looks and feels alot better when watched in black and white, which is the way the director intended it to be seen....I might've just made that up though.:confused:

Elliot Robertson
09-30-2010, 06:50 AM
I do give the film a bit of greif in the review. I personally hated the Mrs. Carmody character and just wanted her out of it from her very first line. With all that money, they could and should have done alot better with the concept they had... Tentacle Monsters in the Mist isn't very scary either. Maybe they could've added in some hooded floating psycos or something... Or something we DON'T SEE... because the imagination is the scariest thing on planet earth.

siorai
09-30-2010, 07:34 AM
I loved this movie. It's campy and over the top with a very serious feel of taking you back to the 50s, acute paranoia of the unknown monster movies. The character of Mrs. Carmody was great. Yes I hated her with a passion, but wasn't that the whole point of that character? If she wasn't there, the movie would have just dragged on. She gave the whole situation life beyond just dealing with monsters trying to kill them. There was a serious threat within as well that had to be dealt with. By including that storyline, it meant that there wasn't a need to have a silly bridge/filler scene. Like the scene in the Dawn of the Dead remake where they all fool around, riding bikes, having sex, etc. What a retarded scene. It just gave the filmmakers an easy out to make the ending seem that much more climactic. The Mist didn't do that. Mrs. Carmody kept the tension level high and just didn't let the movie slow down for an artificially inflated tension for the ending.

TheWickerFan
09-30-2010, 10:44 AM
I loved The Mist as well. It's one of my favorite Stephen King short stories, and I thought they did a great job bringing it to the big screen.

Elliot Robertson
09-30-2010, 12:54 PM
I loved The Mist as well. It's one of my favorite Stephen King short stories, and I thought they did a great job bringing it to the big screen.
I've been a little evil on the movie here. Having just watched it again. I guess I've been a little annoyed at this Mrs. Carmody. The film actually comes across as a nice little horror. The only problem is a few bits of bad acting and this Mrs. Carmody. Having never read the novel, I can't say how well they converted it to the big screen. All this aside, I've changed my ratings.

Sistinas666
09-30-2010, 01:18 PM

Read the story, then review the movie. Other than the ending of the film it was very faithful to the story.

ferretchucker
09-30-2010, 02:59 PM

Don't worry about it! That's the point of a review, buddy, you get your own opinions out there. Stick to your guns, you don't have to go back and justify yourself as "evil" just because a few of us disagree :p

Elliot Robertson
10-01-2010, 08:25 AM
Don't worry about it! That's the point of a review, buddy, you get your own opinions out there. Stick to your guns, you don't have to go back and justify yourself as "evil" just because a few of us disagree :p
Well I re-watched the movie and I understand where you're all coming from. So I changed my ratings :P

WordsWorth_Longinton
10-04-2010, 05:24 PM
The Mist

A mysterious
Fog, one that couldn't be stopped
By a shark-wrangler

Elliot Robertson
10-05-2010, 08:37 AM
The Mist

A mysterious
Fog, one that couldn't be stopped
By a shark-wrangler

Exactly :D

marianne
10-21-2010, 05:52 AM
Exactly :D
liked the newer version to the mist but never did see the old version of it.
really liked it but found the ending really silly thought.
^^

The Ugly Duchess
10-26-2010, 02:25 PM
I'm gonna have to disagree with you there, my friend. I thought it was a very well done film in that it doesn't overdo the CGI monsters. It maintains sufficient mystery by concealing a lot of the antagonistic force in the thick mist and is unique compared to most monster movies because it deals with human drama. I loved the fact that it was about the people in the store's gradual descent into madness and trust me, it does happen in these situations were a group of strangers are thrust together in a stressful situation. Look up the Stanford Prison Experiment, it's quite spooky how people can become so heartless when they feel they have a position of power.

I agree with ferretchucker. I thought that it was a well done film. I liked the fact that the mist was concealing the forces of evil outside and how the persons inside reacted to this situation.

donherion
11-06-2010, 09:26 AM
I found the ending a little trite. Although I understand why he did it I think the character would have waited until the car was under attack or hope was lost before he did it (do not want to give the movie ending away). And the religious fanatic was way over the top even for a film like this. A more subtle character would have been far more effective. She was so obviously crazy no one would follow her. I thought the cgi was effective and a little creepy.

Hey, check out Macabre Magazine (http://www.macabremagazine.com)if you get a chance.

Elliot Robertson
11-08-2010, 01:43 PM
I found the ending a little trite. Although I understand why he did it I think the character would have waited until the car was under attack or hope was lost before he did it (do not want to give the movie ending away). And the religious fanatic was way over the top even for a film like this. A more subtle character would have been far more effective. She was so obviously crazy no one would follow her. I thought the cgi was effective and a little creepy.

Hey, check out Macabre Magazine (http://www.macabremagazine.com)if you get a chance.

I think it'd be better if they didn't show the monsters, if they leave it to your imagination.

The main reason I gave this such a crappy review was strictly because of the religeous fanatic.