PDA

View Full Version : Movie (s) that got you into horror

RainbowEyes84
09-08-2010, 08:09 PM
I'm sure it goes back quite a longer way, but here's a definite one for me.

5IMMu4OptSA&p

Elvis_Christ
09-08-2010, 10:55 PM
The Elm Street, Child's Play and Friday the 13th flicks sewed the seeds as a kid for me.

The stuff like Creepers, Phantasm, Maniac and Return Of The Living Dead turned me into a more serious fan a few years later.

TheWickerFan
09-09-2010, 01:46 AM
I wasn't allowed to watch serious horror movies until I was 14 or 15, but I was allowed to watch horror suitable for broadcast television. Tarantula, Kingdom Of The Spiders, and Dark Secret Of Harvest Home were some of the first horror movies I saw; I've been hooked ever since.

aprilc1
09-09-2010, 07:25 AM
The Giant Spider Invaion (1975) Total cheese(the giant spider is obviously a vw bug covered in fur and red filters on the headlights) but to a four year old it was the scariest By the way I begged to go see it

Elvis_Christ
09-09-2010, 02:39 PM
the giant spider is obviously a vw bug covered in fur and red filters on the headlights

Haha :D

That sounds awesome I'll have to keep an eye out for that flick.

nightmare_of _death
09-09-2010, 05:00 PM
from what i remember got me into horror. the elm st. series, and halloween, and the shining.

Sistinas666
09-09-2010, 05:43 PM
from what i remember got me into horror. the elm st. series, and halloween, and the shining.

Those 3 and the Friday The 13th series did it for me. If memory serves correctly The Shining was the first horror movie I encountered. The twin girls still freak me out to this day.

Elvis_Christ
09-09-2010, 05:47 PM
The Shining went over my head when I was younger and first caught it on TV.

I thought it was slow and boring :D

....love it now of course.

newb
09-09-2010, 05:51 PM
http://i47.tinypic.com/10h2gqb.jpg

Sistinas666
09-09-2010, 06:21 PM

I was like 4 years old when I saw it so I definately didn't understand it. I think the atmosphere and some of the creepy scenes kept me captivated and scared.

cheebacheeba
09-09-2010, 06:31 PM
The Evil Dead, Hellraiser.
Those are the first two I remember seeing though NOES 1 came shortly after.
Pretty mainstream introduction I know, but, it worked for me.
All three of these scared the shit outta me as a kid...

endo
09-09-2010, 06:31 PM
I remember some movies from Creature Feature when I was young, but the flick that stays with me is the made for TV "Trilogy Of Terror". Scared the crap out of me as a kid.

FreddyMyers
09-09-2010, 06:53 PM
I remember complaining as a kid after watching The Shining that it wasnt scary (as a kid i didnt understand what the hell was going on). So after the movie my father put on Phantasm II, scared me senseless. Since then ive always viewed the "Tall Man" as one of the scariest horror figures. The next week he showed me Halloween 4 and TCM original. Guess i really havent been the same since.

Elvis_Christ
09-09-2010, 07:30 PM
I never really got scared while watching the film as a kid but could never sleep that night because I'd be thinking about it :D

I'd always be nervous before I threw a tape wondering if I'd get freaked out. I was honestly more scared about my parents seeing what I was watching in case they wouldn't let me watch horror flicks anymore.

Bastet
09-10-2010, 12:38 AM
The Spiral Staircase-watched this while babysitting one night when I was 14 and it absolutely terrified me, Still gives me shivers now.
Oh and The Evil Dead-remember watching this on video when videos were a new thing, it didn't scare me, but I loved it.

Bastet
09-10-2010, 12:43 AM

I remember watching The Shining when I was working Nights as a Newly qualified nurse when the old asylum was still open. The care assistant with me had had to go to another ward to help them and I was on my own. I was so scared, I made one of the patients accompany me to the toilet, as it was down a long corridor. That has stayed with me. I love the film but can only watch it with the lights on even now!:D

fiend_skull
09-10-2010, 03:16 PM
The movie that really got me into horror was Hellraiser. As a kid seeing Frank walk around without skin and the image of the Cenobites scared the shit out of me. It was one of the first horror movies I saw and it is still one of my favorites.

neverending
09-10-2010, 04:00 PM
It's interesting to me to see how many say their seminal experiences were with Freddy & Jason... no wonder we get so many Freddy & Jason threads.

When I was a kid there were no DVD players or even VCRs... so, to watch a movie you either had to go see it at a theatre or see it on TV. Fortunately, there were such things as neighborhood theatres, and the one in my neighborhood had Saturday afternoon "kiddie matinees." Only- they didn't show crappy family movies. Mostly they played horror movies- the Hammer films and all the Corman & AIP stuff. On Saturday night there would be the local creature feature on TV with a horror host- and they showed all the classics, and by classics I mean the real classics- the Universal canon as well as RKO stuff and more.

That's the stuff that taught me what horror was.

cheebacheeba
09-10-2010, 06:26 PM
It's interesting to me to see how many say their seminal experiences were with Freddy & Jason... no wonder we get so many Freddy & Jason threads.

80's kids + commercial horror.

The_Return
09-10-2010, 06:32 PM
To this day I have no idea why, as my dad is anything but a horror fan...but when I was a kid (IE - 4-5ish), he bought me VHS tapes of Dracula (1931) and Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man. Still two of my favourite movies, and created a love for all things Universal.

A few years later I got into TV shows like Goosebumps and Are You Afraid of the Dark - thats what really sealed me in as a horror fan, I think.

fuglystick
09-10-2010, 07:12 PM
They used to show old horror films (50's era) on the public television station on either Friday or Saturday (can't remember which) when I was growing up. No particular movie--I can't remember any one specifically--but actors in monkey/alien/monster suits.

endo
09-10-2010, 07:48 PM
When I was a kid, they would have horror week every now and then for the 4 o'clock movie on a local station.
That's where I first saw Trilogy Of Terror, and as a kid, the story "Amelia" with the Zuni fetish doll scared the crap out of me.

I had seen Creature Feature a few times before this, but this movie got me hooked.

Sistinas666
09-10-2010, 08:53 PM
80's kids + commercial horror.

Its just what made my love of horror. I'm not saying its right, its just how I got turned on to the genre.

cheebacheeba
09-10-2010, 09:09 PM
80's kids + commercial horror. = Me.
...I like a lot of 80's horror.

roshiq
09-10-2010, 10:22 PM
Although my first seen horror film was The Evil Dead but the movie that really got me into horror just few years back was The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Remake):o.

katdad
09-10-2010, 10:48 PM
My Dad was a lifelong horror and SF fan, and he introduced me to both when I was just a rugrat, reading me Lovecraft for bedtime stories, I kid you not.

I was also an early reader (age 2) and graduated from children's books to harder stuff quite fast. But as a kid I read adventures of Robin Hood, Knights of the Round Table, in addition to classic Poe and Lovecraft.

So movies came with it. I was born in 41 and can't remember the first horror movie I ever saw but I do remember that Dad took me to see a re-release of Frankenstein in the theater and it scared the bejeezus out of me. So did Dracula and all that other stuff, but even though I was scared I still developed a huge appetite for SF and horror, to this day.

endo
09-10-2010, 11:01 PM
My Mom helped get me hooked. Loved being a kid and seeing horror with fresh eyes for the first time.
Scared me a lot. I miss those days.

Anthropophagus
09-12-2010, 01:17 AM
The first flics i remember watching as a kid were The Bride of Frankenstein,The Gorgon,The Thing from another World and quite a few others.

Back in in the early 70s (yes,i know i`m old) they used to show classics on a friday night,sometimes on a monday but had to go to bed then.:(

ManchestrMorgue
09-12-2010, 01:24 AM
The first horror film that I ever saw was a Z-grade film called Octoman. It got me interested in the genre, but the films that really got me hooked were the Hammer Dracula/Frankenstein/Mummy films, and The Blob.

Ferox13
09-12-2010, 08:23 AM
My Dad was a lifelong horror and SF fan, and he introduced me to both when I was just a rugrat, reading me Lovecraft for bedtime stories, I kid you not.

Haha Deadly...

The Universal horror films got me into the genre. On BBC2 there used to be a double bill on a Friday night when I was a kid. The first film was usually an older BW film (often Universal but coulda been some skid row quickie too) - the 2nd was usually a coolour film - a lot of AIP and Hammer.

I usually fell asleep before the end of the 2nd one. I used to be so pissed waking up in bed missing the film...So my first love was Universal films and Lon Chaney Jr (it wasn't for a while til I switched to Karloff)..

VanSaint
09-12-2010, 04:06 PM
I grew up in the 80's so for me it was Nightmare on Elm St. and Friday the 13th. The Exorcist and Children of the Corn really scared the crap out of me though. My parents were into the Hammer Horror films so I got schooled in that too.

klx_boy
09-14-2010, 02:28 AM
Mine was The Texas Chainsaw Massacre! Leatherface rocks!