PDA

View Full Version : Fave Lovecraftian movies?

katdad
09-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Which Lovecraft-inspired movies are your favorite? Not necessarily a precise HPL story set to screen, maybe, but one with the same themes.

I pretty much like Mouth of Madness starring Sam Neill, dir. John Carpenter, w. a cameo by Charlton Heston of all people.

I've always wanted "them" to make an accurate film of "The Call of Cthulhu" but none thus far. When I first read Lovecraft (as a kid), Call of Cthulhu ran me right out of my bedroom and down to the living room for a while, so I could calm down.

neverending
09-07-2010, 12:42 AM
Let me see if I can find the old threads on this subject...

http://horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54716

http://horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30914

horrorman
09-08-2010, 10:06 AM
My favorite horror film based on a Lovecraft novel is "the Unnamable"; my favorite horror film created in the vein of Lovecraft's works is "Beyond Dream's Door." Neither film is a favorite of mine, but I enjoy both on a daily basis.

- Horrorman

FreddyMyers
09-08-2010, 10:46 AM
To me it seems like his literature just doesnt fit onto the big screen. Some of the movie adaptations are ok to good at best but there hasnt been the Great lovecraft movie as of late. I have no problem watching and reading older works but a younger audience will more often look for a movie before a book. That same audience will probably overlook some of the newer on screen renditions of his work b/c the movie doesnt seem scary or suspenseful enough. Maybe its just me but I always thought his monsters were more for the reader to create in their own minds instead of just watching it on TV or in a theater. Im probably a part of a very small clientle who thinks that though. All that being said Id say Re-animator and The Resurrected were his best. Die Monster Die and The Crimson Cult (only b/c of Karloff) are close seconds.

Those 4 ARE Lovecraft adaptations right?

Ferox13
09-09-2010, 12:25 AM
Those 4 ARE Lovecraft adaptations right?

Adaptations of what? Do you mean in total? Well there's 3 of the Color Out of Space alone..

I've always wanted "them" to make an accurate film of "The Call of Cthulhu" but none thus far. When I first read Lovecraft (as a kid), Call of Cthulhu ran me right out of my bedroom and down to the living room for a while, so I could calm down.

The HPLS version of COC is very accurate..great film...

katdad
09-09-2010, 07:08 PM
The HPLS version of COC is very accurate..great film...

Sorry, what's HPLS?

The_Return
09-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Sorry, what's HPLS?
Howard Phillips Lovecraft Society

...and personally, I couldn't stand that version. Accurate for sure; but very poorly put together. Great idea to make it aa a silent film, I just wish there would have been more actual talent involved.

katdad
09-10-2010, 10:21 PM
I was completely unaware of this "new" silent movie until you guys mentioned it.

It looks intriguing but I'm not sure. Any more feedback? I see you were somewhat disappointed. And thanks for the info.

Ferox13
09-11-2010, 01:40 AM
I do agree it was very low budget but I felt they really captured the feeling of the story. I loved the cultists in the Bayou..

They're working on The Whisperer in Darkness at moment - I'm really looking forward to this. Its a great story..

The_Return
09-12-2010, 03:37 PM
I was completely unaware of this "new" silent movie until you guys mentioned it.

It looks intriguing but I'm not sure. Any more feedback? I see you were somewhat disappointed. And thanks for the info.

My opinion differs from the norm - most people I've talked to absolutely loved it.

You should give it a look if you're a fan of the story...it is definitely accurate, if nothing else, and a cool concept. Even though I didn't personally enjoy it very much, I'd still call it a must-see for Lovecraft fans - even if just as a curiosity.

Ferox - Are they doing The Whisperer in Darkness as a silent film as well?

Ferox13
09-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Nope...its a talkie this time:

pd5gWGfnK5M