PDA

View Full Version : Found this on another forum, felt I should share it...

fiend_skull
08-03-2010, 09:02 PM
I found this guy basically bashing all movies made in the last 10 years (something that I've seen a couple times here) and I felt a need to share it with you. He isn't entirely wrong, but I feel he takes it to an unneeded level. I tried to reply to this guy, but all attempts to really reason with him were quickly shot down with an abrupt "the new shit sux balls" sort of post. So here it is; uncut, uncensored, and unfortunately unedited. Sorry if the thread seems irrelevant to this section of the forum or if it seems pointless, but I really wanted you guys to see this.

"1 why cant we have directors and producers care about movies i watch preators it SUX sooo bad worst acting worst story worst EVERTHING the old one was better 1987 on was sick now halloween come on carpenters halloween was epic music the mask the story everthing made me scared at night now rob thinks he is soo cool by making halloween more of a blood and gore film come on the o1st one 1978 hade barly no blood but scarry ueverone has a different way of scared one is u can be scared of blood and heads ripping of and sayin ew or u can be in the shadows and creep slow and that can be scarry . movies SUX now they die if they make a remake to titanic , platoon , terminator , the shining , the godfather , i will kill them u cant make a classic more classic u just got to keep it the way it is i miss the 60s movies with james bond and 70s with the godfather - 80s with terminator the shining halloween - 90s like goodfellas forest gump heat titanic pulp fiction omg u no what i mean :) like i said old movies are better shit liuke today sux like twlght and preators omg just bc of the actors are hot doesnt mean shit just like twlight when u have a really ot guy the people really doesnt care about the movie they care about the actor making people spent money to see him on the big screen thats stuped i miss all the old actors like pacino de niro arnold . if u like my review comment it if u love old movies hit me up bc OLD IS A CLASSIC !"

Any comments?

endo
08-03-2010, 09:18 PM
First off, I got a head ache just reading the post. Don't know why people insist on posting like they are texting to their friends.

As far as the content, from what I could read, I kind of agree that the older flicks are better....but that has to be taken with the knowledge that Carpenter's Halloween was the first. Same with a lot of other movies he mentions.
Rob Zombies Halloween was good too, but you have to give it the slack of, ok...it's a re-make.
But there are plenty of movies that are recent that are good too, so to me the guy is just singling out the ones he wants to hate.
(Twilight sux, btw:))

But, to each their own. I will most certainly NOT be hitting him up though...his opinion and mine wouldn't mix very well.

Elvis_Christ
08-03-2010, 11:44 PM
The online world is becoming illiterate as FUCK.

I'm going into hibernation to avoid this painful shit.

TheWickerFan
08-04-2010, 01:20 AM
The online world is becoming illiterate as FUCK.

I'm going into hibernation to avoid this painful shit.

Agreed. If this guy had an important point to make it was lost in that incomprehensible mess he called a review.

RainbowEyes84
08-04-2010, 08:22 AM
I don't know the guy who wrote that, but I have to admit, I have seen people say a lot worse things than what he said there. He was just talking about how movies suck today. I haven't seen anything else said by him, but from that post alone, it didn't seem like he was attacking anyone personally, which is what seems people do a lot on the internet these days.

Caenxavier
08-04-2010, 09:29 AM
"terminator the shining halloween"

or maybe it's

Terminator: The Shining Halloween. Now that's a movie I can get behind.

William666
08-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Ok, well, I gotta put my 2 cents in now. It's ridiculous to make a blanket statement that all new movies suck to begin with. Some do, I agree, but then, alot of the old ones suck too. As for the remakes, I don't see anything wrong with remaking any movie. Bela's "Dracula" is definitely a classic, but would you want to discard all Dracula movies and remakes just because it is a "classic?" I, for one, prefer the '92 remake myself. I also prefer the Zombie Halloween remakes to the John Carpenter versions, simply because they are more realistic to me in so many ways. I definitely understand the nostalgic glow of yesterday, but that does not mean we can't move on and try new things.

neverending
08-04-2010, 12:51 PM
It's not always "nostalgia" that fuels an appreciation of classic horror. More often it's an appreciation of strong characterization, solid storytelling and the use of atmosphere as opposed to cliche' cookie cutter plots, cheap shock moments and an overabundance of gore and special effects that many modern horror films rely on.

William666
08-04-2010, 07:42 PM
It's not always "nostalgia" that fuels an appreciation of classic horror. More often it's an appreciation of strong characterization, solid storytelling and the use of atmosphere as opposed to cliche' cookie cutter plots, cheap shock moments and an overabundance of gore and special effects that many modern horror films rely on.

Sorry neverending, but I disagree. Horror fans were saying the same things back in the 50's, and 60's, and 70's....... in 20 years they will be saying the same then, praising the works of today. It's a cycle that is, well, neverending. ;)

fiend_skull
08-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Sorry neverending, but I disagree. Horror fans were saying the same things back in the 50's, and 60's, and 70's....... in 20 years they will be saying the same then, praising the works of today. It's a cycle that is, well, neverending. ;)
Well it doesn't quite work as easily as that. It is more of a process of weeding out. While I do agree that there are people who prefer old movies just because they are older, it is more a case of looking into the past with rose colored classes. As time goes on certain movies will stand the test of time and will be remember a lot better than the movies that seemed more lackluster and uninspiring.

neverending
08-04-2010, 10:14 PM

Fortunately your blindness to the positive qualities of older films has no effect on their presence. Reducing an appreciation of classic cinema to "nostalgia" is shallow at best.

Monster Dave
08-09-2010, 04:03 PM
William that doesn't even make sense, were you around in the 50s? I dont know how long you have been a horror fan or how old you are, but I remember in the 70's and 80's having no complaints about the horror movies being released, overall for the most part I should say...

scouse mac
08-09-2010, 11:50 PM
I found it difficult to translate but there are some valid points to that guys post however to just clean sweep away a decade of films is way too basic. There will always be a majority of films in any given period which are shit, the majority of films made in the 50s 60s 70s etc were crap but we remember the good/great ones (of which there were plenty).

Some of the problem these days is that its too easy to make a movie, anyone with a camcorder and some computer software can churn out a film and there is a lack of real effort involved. How can you compare something like Ray Harryhausens skeleton warriors to some of the poor cgi alot of filmmakers use today?

For what its worth, I quite liked Predators.

William666
08-18-2010, 10:14 AM
Well it doesn't quite work as easily as that. It is more of a process of weeding out. While I do agree that there are people who prefer old movies just because they are older, it is more a case of looking into the past with rose colored classes. As time goes on certain movies will stand the test of time and will be remember a lot better than the movies that seemed more lackluster and uninspiring.

That is a fact, however I'm speaking mainly of the people who disregard every new movie (especially the remakes) just because they are new. I remember a hell of alot of flack about the Rob Zombie Halloween remakes before they were ever made simply because it was "forbidden" to do such a thing. That is what I'm referring to. And just for the record, in my opinion, the Zombie remakes kicked the hell out of the originals, and at 44 years old that's coming from someone of the old order. ;)

William666
08-18-2010, 10:25 AM
Fortunately your blindness to the positive qualities of older films has no effect on their presence. Reducing an appreciation of classic cinema to "nostalgia" is shallow at best.

I'm not dismissing anything, just pointing out that people who dismiss the new movies are the ones wearing blinders, but ok, whatever.

fuglystick
08-18-2010, 11:41 AM
If it seems like there are a lot more bad movies today than, say, 40 years ago, it's because there are. But that's because there are a lot more movies being produced every year.

http://manyeyes.alphaworks.ibm.com/manyeyes/visualizations/number-of-movies-made-per-genre-wo

The data is apparently from IMDB.

40 years ago, a lot fewer movies were being made. That means the pool of scripts that passed muster was a lot smaller, and the quality of the average film was likely to be better than it is today with today's flooded market. That doesn't mean, however, that they aren't making good movies anymore. It just means that there are a dozen bad movies for every good one, instead of three or four.

But yeah, anyway, to argue all movies that come out anymore are shit is asinine.

William666
08-18-2010, 05:39 PM
William that doesn't even make sense, were you around in the 50s? I dont know how long you have been a horror fan or how old you are, but I remember in the 70's and 80's having no complaints about the horror movies being released, overall for the most part I should say...

What doesn't make sense about it Dave? I am 44 years old, yes, I was around for the criticism of the 70's movies over the older ones and on up to today. I can also read and listen to older horror fans tell of the same crap happening decade after decade. It's nothing more than a generation gap and it's present in everything, not just horror movies. What doesn't make sense is to spout off with statements like "All the new stuff is shit." That statement itself is shit, and anyone who is ignorant enough to make such a statement can wear the idiots crown. Nothing is ever all encompassing. This is really an argument about taste. You prefer the old stuff to the new? Cool. I have no problem with that. But to say a film shouldn't be remade cuz it's "a classic" or to completely disregard all new movies is very ignorant I think.

Kleptron
08-18-2010, 05:53 PM
I realize that no one cares about my opinion but a good movie is a good movie, I don't care when it was made......

William666
08-18-2010, 06:02 PM
I realize that no one cares about my opinion but a good movie is a good movie, I don't care when it was made......

Amen and thank you to that. ;)

fiend_skull
09-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Time for another round of "It Came from Another Forum!!!"

This post's title was "What is the Point" and the message goes as follows: "Same stupid story line maybe a different location or maybe a few more/less actors. Same stupid fake blood, fake vomit, and other fake crap. Very simplistic and doesn't capture any human with a brain's attention. Why watch t.v.s and movies?"

Now, I jokingly responded with "Sure beats gargling cat piss". But seriously, any thoughts?

neverending
09-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Was it about any certain film?

fiend_skull
09-04-2010, 12:30 AM
Was it about any certain film?

No, just the film industry as a whole.

katdad
09-06-2010, 11:34 AM
Well, all you need to do is check out the educational level of the poster. Age 9 maybe, held back a couple grades possibly?

He's not only unable to spell or form a coherent sentence, but in a deeper level, he cannot harness his mind toward a single cogent thought in the first place.

Were you able to pin him down on specific movies (some he thought were good are actually good of course) and query him as to WHY a particular movie was good or bad, you could have him tied up in knots. But it would actually end up boring and he'd be useless, like you poking a slug with a stick for amusement. Not a lot of bang for the buck.

So we usually take types like that and sit them in their bedrooms till mommy says it's time to come out. When they get older they find their way into bars to get tossed out of. That I remember from bartending in my college days. There are plenty like him, mostly harmless.

fiend_skull
09-23-2010, 02:42 PM
I could make this a regular segment...

Here is another tale from the annals of "IT CAME FROM ANOTHER FORUM!"

Now in this other forum I see an anti-twilight thread every day (I don't like Twilight, but the more times I have to hear about it the less those threads would help). This one in particular was wondering where all the original vampire movies. This thread had a decent amount of activity, but one post that kind of got my goat was this (I'll bold what really got my attention):

"not being defensive or anything, but it is basically impossible to have an original vampire movie nowadays...with the original vampire in it.

the only "original" vampire movie that's come out recently was twilight and that's only original because they sparkle. lulzz.

and to add to that, a lot of the first vampire movies (Nosferatu, a lot of Dracula with Bela Lugosi) are really boring because in the time that they were made, censorship was A LOT different than today and they didn't have the proper tools to create a well-made movie compared to recent times."

Elvis_Christ
09-23-2010, 03:18 PM
Ha some people have no idea :D

In regard to the vampire flicks having originality I don't think it's impossible.

They are few and far between that's for sure but one's I'd consider to be different and original would be Martin (really changed the shape of how a vampire movie can be handled), Near Dark, The Hunger and From Dusk Till Dawn. Hell even Blade. The most notable recent one would be Let the Right One In.

True Blood's take on things is quite original too IMO.

I think vampire films will get darker as the decade goes on.

I'm suprised there hasn't been more of a downbeat/bleak trend after Let the Right One In.

Sistinas666
09-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Bitten is a good vampire flick. It didn't feel like your run-of-the-mill type fanger, plus I'm a sucker for anything with Jason Mewes.

Elvis_Christ
09-23-2010, 03:27 PM
I saw that in the store the other day and was wondering if it was any good. I like Mewes too so I might give it a spin.

Sistinas666
09-23-2010, 03:32 PM
I'm not a huge fan of the vampire genre of film but I really dug Bitten. I'm also a bit fond of True Blood.

Elvis_Christ
09-23-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm quite behind on True Blood. Started on season 1 but never finished it because I got sidetracked by Sons Of Anarchy.

Sistinas666
09-23-2010, 03:41 PM
I'm quite behind on True Blood. Started on season 1 but never finished it because I got sidetracked by Sons Of Anarchy.

True Blood gets much better after season 1. It sucks I gotta wait for 9 months to watch season 4, lol. I'm very into Sons Of Anarchy, too. I just started season 3, great flippin' show!:cool:

Elvis_Christ
09-23-2010, 03:52 PM
What first episode huh? I was literally jumping out of my seat and cheering when Jax was beating on that dude :D