PDA

View Full Version : John Carpenter

Bhorrorfan
05-18-2010, 05:54 PM
I gotta say John carpenter is my favorite movie maker of all time, i have a dvd collection with some of his best stuff. The thing, prince of darkness, they live, and village of the damned. I cant rant on enough about how sick most of these movies are, from the freaky monster in the thing to the cool concepts and action against aliens secretly controlling the world in they live. From the creepy alien children in village of the damned to the sick religious horror of facing satan and satans father in prince of darkness. All these movies are packed with interesting ideas, great actors, and screwed up monsters and scares around every corner. If anyone agrees and would like to comment on the works of John Carpenter please add to this thread.

Elvis_Christ
05-18-2010, 06:05 PM
The man is brilliant. Easily one of my favorite directors. With the exception of Walter Hill no one directs "tough guys"/heroes better.

I'm a huge fan and I'm looking forward to some new flicks from him especially since the Masters Of Horror episode Cigarette Burns kicked my ass.

Not sure what my favorite of his work is but I really dig the stuff with Kurt Russell and They Live made a big impact on me growing up.

Bhorrorfan
05-18-2010, 06:14 PM
Ohh ya Cigarette burns really was awsome i think, in fact most of the masters of horror stuff rules. I loved they live too, expecially the godlike fight scene in the alley (that south park even rips off for an episode) and that line in the bank "Im here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and im all out of bubblegum" lmao i believe the game duke nukem 3d also stole that line from the movie.

Elvis_Christ
05-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Yeh that fight scene is dope so epic. What do you think of his later stuff? It seems to get a lot of shit but I fucking loved Vampires. It was great seeing him direct James Woods.

Straker
05-18-2010, 07:08 PM
One of my favourite directors. There are a bunch of films that I consider favourites from JC. Prince of Darkness doesn't seem to get alot of praise, but its a quality horror film with lots of cool scenes and ideas. I couldn't say what my favourite Carpenter film is since he has so many great films to his name and a few of them are some of the greatest the genre has seen. I would definatley say Assault on Precinct 13 is right up there though amongst the more obvious titles. Raw, bare bones classic.

Mark Smith
05-18-2010, 10:00 PM
JC has made some fantastic films over the years, my favourites being Halloween, Escape From New York, The Thing,
He has also created lots of atmospheric music on the synths, such a talented man.

endo
05-18-2010, 10:49 PM
Carpenter is awesome, but watch Body Bags and tell me if you feel the same afterwards:)

Just kidding, he's great. The Thing is one of my all time faves done by him.

Bhorrorfan
05-19-2010, 02:41 AM
Good point mark, i also forgot that he created the original Halloween. I dont think he made most if any of the others but it started one of the main horror franchises so you gotta respect that.

AMICUS HORROR
05-19-2010, 08:00 AM
John Carpenter is awesome, my favorite is The Fog, I liked Body Bags but is it just me or is all directors crap actors. Quintin Tarintino is a good director but crap actor, John Carpenter is also a crap actor so is Lucio Fulci and Stephen King but Tom Savini is funny.

ZombieSlasher
05-27-2010, 06:24 PM
I love "Halloween", it's the movie got me started on horror movies!!

7 years old, watching this movie all alone in my house! Scared the hell out of me!

Bhorrorfan
05-28-2010, 12:55 AM
I love halloween too, i didnt start watching it until about 6 months ago and i was pissed i didnt check it out sooner lol. Ive seen all of em and i gotta say theres not one halloween movie i didnt find at least interesting. And as for the directors being crap actors im pretty sure the only reason they are there is because fans get a hoot out of seeing them. Take stephen king for example in his movie maximum overdrive he made a cameo at the start, i definately wouldnt say he was the best actor but it was a funny scene nonetheless seeing him react to the atm calling him an asshole lol. Id admit people who are just actors make better cameos and everything, but as a stephen king fan for all my life id say seeing him in his movies is always funny and cool, im sure all other directors who act occasionally did it for the same kind of response.

Elvis_Christ
05-28-2010, 05:04 PM
Carpenter is awesome, but watch Body Bags and tell me if you feel the same afterwards:)

Ha! I really like Body Bags :p