PDA

View Full Version : remakes,remakes,remakes!

discodude
05-13-2010, 10:16 AM
hi all,just joined and just thought i would get peoples thoughts on remakes!just lately we have had tcm,friday the 13th,hills have eyes,halloween,last house on the left and a nightmare on elm street.and night of the demons and i spit on your grave are out later this year!have i missed any?oh and john carpenters the thing is a remake but the original was called "the thing from another world".tommy doyle in halloween is watching it.this is also in the pipe line i believe for a remake/prequel. i think we have had enough remakes and not 1 was as good as the original!?i will see nightmare and let you know my thoughts on the latest remake,but as for i spit,ive seen the trailer and it doesnt look much cop,imo! any way hope i aint bored/offended anyone?

_____V_____
05-13-2010, 10:20 AM
http://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54380

Heck...

http://www.horror.com/forum/search.php?searchid=33374

Take your pick.

Elvis_Christ
05-13-2010, 05:12 PM
Remakes never really bothered me until quite recently after watching The Last House On The Left remake. There's good and bad ones of course and that was one of the ratshit variety. I enjoyed stuff like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Dawn of the Dead remakes when they came out but now they just seem dumbed down to me and kinda pointless. I'd rather see "homages" or something original but I still check out remakes to see for myself just how bad/good they are. Really interested in seeing the Elm Street remake to see what the do differently with the character of Freddy. That would I guess be my main drive at seeing most remakes...

Does it strike anyone else as weird how remakes have become somewhat of a subgenre?

discodude
05-14-2010, 10:55 AM
do you mean only horrors are getting remade?if so i think you can only have so many ways of killing people. i mean a person,alien,evil forces,machines{terminator,christine,etc} and also ways of killing like chainsaw,machete,beating,tortureburied alive etc. film makers must be running out of ideas?

Angra
05-14-2010, 11:33 AM
Ask yourself this question.

Is this thread a remake or is it just cliché?

I know. I'm deep. :cool:

Disease
05-14-2010, 11:45 AM
Ask yourself this question.

Is this thread a remake or is it just cliché?

I know. I'm deep. :cool:

Don't get any deeper than that or this entire thread might implode..:eek:

Disease
05-14-2010, 11:48 AM
Remakes never really bothered me until quite recently after watching The Last House On The Left remake. There's good and bad ones of course and that was one of the ratshit variety. I enjoyed stuff like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Dawn of the Dead remakes when they came out but now they just seem dumbed down to me and kinda pointless. I'd rather see "homages" or something original but I still check out remakes to see for myself just how bad/good they are. Really interested in seeing the Elm Street remake to see what the do differently with the character of Freddy. That would I guess be my main drive at seeing most remakes...

Does it strike anyone else as weird how remakes have become somewhat of a subgenre?

Shame you didn't like the last house on the left remake, I thought it was rather nasty, and had a bit of a different take on the original. Not as bad as some, which I don't need to mention, but the dawn of the dead on is definatley one of the best in modern times.

discodude
05-14-2010, 12:43 PM
sorry if this thread as been asked before,ive just joined and still finding my feet and have got lots of questions about films and opinions. sorry!

TheWickerFan
05-14-2010, 12:50 PM
Said it before, I'll say it again. STOP THE REMAKES!!!!

milktoaste
05-14-2010, 04:29 PM
I understand why remakes are made, but the notion that movie makers are 'running out of ideas' or are just having a hard time coming up with them is just sad.

Remakes can't hurt you if don't watch them.

Elvis_Christ
05-14-2010, 05:28 PM
sorry if this thread as been asked before,ive just joined and still finding my feet and have got lots of questions about films and opinions. sorry!

All good man. New discussion is always cool. I don't mind new threads being started personally because its good to hear new member's take on things without digging up some ancient thread.

I understand why remakes are made, but the notion that movie makers are 'running out of ideas' or are just having a hard time coming up with them is just sad.

I don't really buy the "running out of ideas" thing anymore. Remakes are just a successful subgenre so the studios are feeding it to make money just like slashers in the 80s etc. There's still just as many original horror films being made although they are a little less high profile.

milktoaste
05-14-2010, 06:17 PM
I don't really buy the "running out of ideas" thing anymore. Remakes are just a successful subgenre so the studios are feeding it to make money just like slashers in the 80s etc. There's still just as many original horror films being made although they are a little less high profile.

I totally agree. I've only just finished my second economics class so I'm no expert, but it's pretty obvious why those with the cash aren't making as many 'risky' investments. Unfortunately, I'm afraid remakes are something we're just going to have to live with for a while- at least until people have the money to go to more than just one movie a season again.

Elvis_Christ
05-14-2010, 08:47 PM
...at least until people have the money to go to more than just one movie a season again.

It is a shame its so expensive to go to the movies. You'd think they would make a bit of an effort to keep the price down to compete with DVDs/downloads.

Frankendoc66
05-16-2010, 10:03 AM
Personaly, I am not a great lover of all these remakes. They are just not a patch on the original.

spot
05-17-2010, 09:57 AM
I'm sick of remakes - can't the genre come up with anything new? Look at how many (and this is off the top of my head) remakes they have made or are in the process of making:

King Kong (twice), Godzilla (twice), Amityville Horror, Halloween, Halloween II, Prom Night, When A Stranger Calls, Wicker Man, The Crazies, Nightmare On Elm Street, Night Of The Living Dead, Dawn Of The Dead, House On Haunted Hill, The Hills Have Eyes, Psycho, House Of Wax, Cat People, The Fog, 13 Ghosts, The Thing, The Hitcher, The Omen, The Haunting, The Eye, Planet Of The Apes, 2001 Maniacs, Village Of The Damned, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, Mary Riley (Jeckel & Hyde), The Wolfman, Mary Shelly’s Frankenstein, Brom Stoker’s Dracula, House Of Usher, The Fly, Island Of Dr. Moreau, Willard, Last House On The Left, My Bloody Valentine, Black Christmas, Friday The 13th, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Rosemary’s Baby, The Ghoulies, The Orphanage, The Stepfather, Children Of The Corn, It’s Alive - HORROR MOVIE REMAKES CURRENTLY IN THE WORKS: Near Dark, Salem’s Lot, Terror Train, The Fury, It, Little Shop Of Horrors, Piranha, Angel Heart, Re-animator, The Howling, Hellraiser, They Live, People Under The Stairs, Shocker, The Thing (a third time!) Predator, Child’s Play, Motel Hell, Silent Night Deadly Night, Pet Cemetery, Mother’s Day, The Birds, The Funhouse, Total Recall, Plan 9 From Outer Space, The Eyes Of Laura Mars, Scanners, Army Of Darkness, Poltergeist and The Creature From The Black Lagoon.

I'm sure I'm missing some but you get the point - seems like there's more remakes then good contemporary orginals....

leezuki
07-20-2011, 05:19 AM
some remakes are good.i liked hills have eyes remake better,they could bring back alot of b movies like basket case etc,but they can also ruin them.i prefer dawn of the dead original and i was angry they were going to remake that but i was shocked and suprised it was a good remake.

The Villain
07-20-2011, 06:03 AM
I can only think of a few good remakes:

Dawn of The Dead
The Thing

.......That seems to be it. On the subject, To me The Thing is a perfect example of how to make a remake. They took the basic idea, kept some of it the same but made their own movie while paying homage to the original. They didnt just make something completely different and they didnt just do a scene for scene remake.

Ferox13
07-20-2011, 09:14 AM
The Thing

.......That seems to be it. On the subject, To me The Thing is a perfect example of how to make a remake. They took the basic idea, kept some of it the same but made their own movie while paying homage to the original. They didnt just make something completely different and they didnt just do a scene for scene remake.

Well it really went back to the source the material and took it from there.

The Villain
07-20-2011, 09:28 AM
Well it really went back to the source the material and took it from there.

Which is what i liked about it

leezuki
07-20-2011, 12:30 PM
john carpenters version was better than the original in my opinion,not taking anything away from the original.

The Villain
07-20-2011, 02:46 PM
john carpenters version was better than the original in my opinion,not taking anything away from the original.

I wouldnt say it was better but i enjoyed the remake more then the original. Probably one of the only time's i'll ever say that. I hope the remake/prequel/sequel whatever the hell it is turns out good too.

leezuki
07-21-2011, 05:48 AM
I wouldnt say it was better but i enjoyed the remake more then the original. Probably one of the only time's i'll ever say that. I hope the remake/prequel/sequel whatever the hell it is turns out good too.

i recon a prequel would better,rather than a remake or sequel.

The Villain
07-21-2011, 12:36 PM
i recon a prequel would better,rather than a remake or sequel.

Yeah that was a joke. It's a prequel but it could also be seen as a remake of the original since it follows that story a little more closely with them finding the crashed ship and taking the frozen alien back to their base.