PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to retire those glorious 80s slasher icons finally?

_____V_____
05-02-2010, 01:54 AM
http://www.cinematical.com/2010/05/01/is-it-time-to-retire-freddy-jason-and-myers/

The guy raises some pretty valid points, even though some of those sound pretty weak.

TheWickerFan
05-02-2010, 06:00 PM
I have to admit, I enjoyed the first half of Rob Zombie's Halloween. The details of Michael Myer's early years were quite interesting, but once we got up to the present, it became more pedestrian.

Remaking Friday The 13th was bad, but remaking Nightmare On Elm Street?
An UNFUNNY Freddy? What is the world coming to?

neverending
05-02-2010, 07:25 PM
I'm always interested in seeing something new and original.

endo
05-02-2010, 09:03 PM
I actually thought the re-make of Friday The 13th was scarier than the first few originals. It kind of blends 1 and 2 into one movie, but I thought it was more brutal, and to me scarier.
Of course I love the original, and the re-make can't take it's place, to me. But it was cool to see it re-vamped.

I like that most of the modern re-makes we're getting seem to give more background on the villian the movie concerns, the new Nightmare is supposed to do the same. But other than that, it looks like a re-hash. I guess the new trend is to not be original, but try to make an older flick better.

In a lot of cases, the originals should be left alone IMO. But, I do think some benefit from the redo. So, I'm not for them or against them, but I too would like to see some more fresh, original ideas.

Elvis_Christ
05-02-2010, 11:27 PM
Nah I enjoy checking out the new Jason/Freddy/Mike Myers flicks good or bad.

roshiq
05-02-2010, 11:50 PM
Studios will never retire! Whether it's fan favorite 80's slasher franchise or any other 60's or 70's acclaimed Horror film, as long as it be a secure source to make some profits they'll try their best possible way to do something with these films. May be the productions will shift from one studio to another or they may go with the whole 'reboot' thing...but there are still more remakes, sequels of the remake or reboots will happen in coming days.

Doc Faustus
05-03-2010, 02:32 PM
In a word:yes. Think about all the awesome horror scripts that will never be greenlit because studios feel safe and secure with just butchering already mediocre slasher fare.

milktoaste
05-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Movies have advertised according to association for so long now (the director of. . . from the producers who brought you. . . .staring so and so of the the hit film. . . ) that it really seems like that's what many of these rehashed movies have become, just another association only with a popular character.

Give us something new, I'm not completely against remaking a movie, but the degree to which it's been done is absolutely disgusting.

Roderick Usher
05-03-2010, 08:46 PM
In a word:yes. Think about all the awesome horror scripts that will never be greenlit because studios feel safe and secure with just butchering already mediocre slasher fare.

Here! Here! and a hearty Huzzah!

I've three in development... just let it happen already!