PDA

View Full Version : US Food, I need advice

ferretchucker
02-13-2010, 02:55 PM
My grandmother is in the US for a few weeks visiting my Uncle and has offered to bring back anything from supermarkets we want, food wise. There are a lot of things that you won't find here that you will out there. But I'm stuck for ideas. Obviously she has to be able to bring stuff back in her luggage, so not too much. Between my family we've already decided on:

Frito Lay Jalapeño Cheese dip
Reeses Peanut Butter Cups
Twinkies

Also on the table as possibilities are:

Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate
Kool Aid

Anything else you would recommend.

missmacabre
02-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Wow, did not know you didn't have kool-aid there! Agreed on the Reese PB cups, they're my favourite junk food because they are not too sweet.

Skip the hot chocolate imo, it's not that great.

What else can you get here that you can't get where you live?

I heard you can't find pop-tarts. Is this true? I will mail you a box of strawberry pop-tarts if it is true.

Kraft Dinner?

I'm talking too much. k bye.

Freak
02-13-2010, 03:31 PM
You dont have Reeses Peanut Butter cups? Get out of that country now.

crabapple
02-13-2010, 03:34 PM
Yeah, uh, Kraft macaroni and cheese dinner...a kit for making a quick macaroni and cheese dish, with few other ingredients--I think a little butter and milk are added.

ferretchucker
02-13-2010, 03:35 PM
:D If you look hard enough you can find the PB Cups, but it's probably even easier just getting them from America.

And We have a limited amount of Pop tarts, I think it's just strawberry and Chocolate.

Thanks for the advice on the Swiss Miss.

What about Mountain Dew Code Red or Welch's Grape Soda?

Despare
02-13-2010, 04:46 PM
:D If you look hard enough you can find the PB Cups, but it's probably even easier just getting them from America.

And We have a limited amount of Pop tarts, I think it's just strawberry and Chocolate.

Thanks for the advice on the Swiss Miss.

What about Mountain Dew Code Red or Welch's Grape Soda?

Meh, I'm surprised you don't have all that stuff over there really. Code Red isn't great although I do like grape soda. It's hard to recommend something without knowing what you DON'T have access to. You have corn dogs right? What about hot pockets? Just looking for junk food right? Hmmm, tough call, you should get some cereal though, something you don't have over there.

Doc Faustus
02-13-2010, 05:11 PM
Do you guys have Pepperidge Farm? If not, then get some goldfish crackers and milanos. It's all about the goldfish crackers.

Elvis_Christ
02-13-2010, 05:27 PM
What is a goldfish cracker?

fortunato
02-13-2010, 05:31 PM
What is a goldfish cracker?

It's a small, wonderful, salty, cheese-flavored cracker that looks like this:

http://thenationalevil.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/goldfish_cracker.jpg

(^not as intimidating in real life)

They come in other flavors, too, but the cheddar fish are the best.

I hate to say it, but you guys are really missing out.

ChronoGrl
02-13-2010, 06:12 PM
Do you people have double-stuffed Oreos? They're my new favorite vice on the cookie front.

I second the Goldfish and Milano suggestions. Definitely quality.

For chips, I like Pringles and lime-flavored Tostidos. If you like fruit salsa with your chips, I loooooooooooove Newman's Own Peach Salsa. Mix in some Tobasco with it, dip in the lime Tostidos and NOW we're talking quality snacking.

In terms of crackers, I also really like Wheat Thins, though you people are all into your "biscuits," you can probably find better crackers there (I remember drinking tea and eating Bisc&'s with M&M's... LOVED those things).

In terms of chocolate candy, I think that England has us beat by far. While Reeses Peanut Butter Cups are good, I'd take Cadbury chocolates over that any day...

For gummy candy, I can't really remember what you guys had; I'm not sure that my gummy sugar tooth was satisfied over there... Definitely tell them to bring back Swedish Fish and Sour Patch Kids. And Sour Watermelons (made by the same people who do Sour Patch Kids). Fruity Mike and Ikes are good too. If I recall, Europe has Starburst candy, but with current flavor, which I found repulsive. If you want alternative flavors in Starburst you can get them here (I REALLY like chewy candies). Laffy Taffy is great for chewy sugarness too.

If you like jelly beans, Jelly Belly are gourmet jelly beans. They're faaaaaaaaaaaaaaabulous.

Soda: I really like Code Red; if you like sweet soda, you'll like it too... Also, I don't think that Dr. Pepper is in Europe... Definitely get her to bring you back Dr. Pepper.

Ferox13
02-14-2010, 03:10 AM
Ferret you need to get some 40s...believe me you won't regret it:

http://www.vintagegearaddicts.com/002/images/40oz_bottles3.jpg

cheebacheeba
02-14-2010, 03:21 AM
Get her to grab some liquid smoke, and a large butterfinger bar.

ferretchucker
02-14-2010, 06:30 AM
We have Jelly Belly, Dr. Pepper and Pringles. Don't have Hot pockets, pepperidge farms and Corn Dogs. Will definetely look into those. Pretty much, other than the first three, we don't have anything else.

Dante'sInferno
02-14-2010, 06:55 AM
We have Jelly Belly, Dr. Pepper and Pringles. Don't have Hot pockets, pepperidge farms and Corn Dogs. Will definetely look into those. Pretty much, other than the first three, we don't have anything else.

Do you guys have flaming hot cheetos?

Doc Faustus
02-14-2010, 06:58 AM
Flaming hot cheetos are pretty good, but I think they're kind of a work in progress. They still haven't gotten "hot+cheese" down.

neverending
02-14-2010, 08:03 AM
Corn dogs need to remain frozen, since they have meat in them. They won't travel well.

The Flayed One
02-14-2010, 08:19 AM
Potted meat.

Caenxavier
02-14-2010, 09:13 AM
Do you guys have miniature microwaveable cheese filled pretzles! If you are looking for some super processed, fatty, delicious food I would start there.

Also, Yoohoos are the shit, pick up some Jones Soda or Arizona ice tea.

ferretchucker
02-14-2010, 10:03 AM
Don't have any of that stuff. We used to have Cheetos, although only the puffed variety. When we go out to America we ALWAYS get your cheetos. Although, there is another type of crisp called "Nik Naks" which are the same thing. Only they don't taste as good.

Ferox13
02-14-2010, 11:54 AM
So Ferret - u not going to try the 40's?

ferretchucker
02-14-2010, 01:05 PM
So Ferret - u not going to try the 40's?

I've already passed on the message to my pa :D

Elvis_Christ
02-14-2010, 02:28 PM
Potted meat? Holy shit that sounds fucking gross.

Caenxavier
02-14-2010, 03:07 PM
I've already passed on the message to my pa :D

Try a MD20/20...or Carlo Rossi, the working man's wine

Dante'sInferno
02-14-2010, 04:34 PM
Potted meat? Holy shit that sounds fucking gross.

Yeah, it looks like someone ate it, threw it up, then put it in a can. SERIOUSLY.

neverending
02-14-2010, 05:00 PM
Haha- I guess we should recommend the ultimate American food- SPAM!

On second thought- I guess they've got Spam across the sea there...

Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam & Spam!

crabapple
02-14-2010, 09:19 PM
Yes! That is Spam right.

Ferox13
02-15-2010, 02:12 AM
Haha- I guess we should recommend the ultimate American food- SPAM!

On second thought- I guess they've got Spam across the sea there...

Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam & Spam!

Yeah they have SPAM in UK/Ireland/Europe - dunno who the fuck eats it though....Its popular in Hawaii though.

alkytrio666
02-15-2010, 05:48 AM
I've got to second the Arizona iced tea! Peach and Rasberry being the best flavors.

missmacabre
02-15-2010, 09:26 AM
I've got to second the Arizona iced tea! Peach and Rasberry being the best flavors.

Send those flavours to Canada for me? MikeyJay88 was supposed to oh way back before he was thrown in jail. XD

Caenxavier
02-15-2010, 10:01 AM

I'm quite fond of the apple and plum myself.

newb
02-15-2010, 10:10 AM
get some N Y Style Hot Weiners....or gaggers as we call em

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/rockinmule/hot_wieners.jpg

oddly enough you can't get them in New York...you have to come to Rhode Island.

I don't imagine they would travel too well

Doc Faustus
02-15-2010, 10:41 AM
I'm quite fond of the apple and plum myself.

You are both wrong. Green Tea with honey and ginseng is the good one. Also good is the half iced tea half lemonade. All of these pale in comparison to Rain Snapple.

Caenxavier
02-15-2010, 11:31 AM
Also good is the half iced tea half lemonade
Are you an aging golfer?

Doc Faustus
02-15-2010, 12:11 PM
I was surprised. I thought anything Arnold Palmer related would be boring.

ferretchucker
02-15-2010, 12:11 PM
get some N Y Style Hot Weiners....or gaggers as we call em

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/rockinmule/hot_wieners.jpg

oddly enough you can't get them in New York...you have to come to Rhode Island.

I don't imagine they would travel too well

With all due respect, they look like a heart attack in a bun.

Tasty.

neverending
02-15-2010, 12:18 PM
With all due respect, they look like a heart attack in a bun.

You have something against that?

ferretchucker
02-15-2010, 12:36 PM
You have something against that?

I prefer my heart attacks in Pitta bread.

fortunato
02-15-2010, 12:56 PM

These are great. "Southern Brewed" Sweet Tea is my favorite, though.

neverending
02-15-2010, 02:14 PM
Cheez Whiz?

Caenxavier
02-16-2010, 04:00 AM
Cheez Whiz?

Bacon Flavor.

Scarebaby
02-16-2010, 04:22 AM
I want to move to America now. O.O

ferretchucker
02-16-2010, 04:39 AM
What on earth is a cheese whiz?

newb
02-16-2010, 04:47 AM
What on earth is a cheese whiz?

Cheez Whiz is a thick processed cheese sauce or spread sold by Kraft Foods. It was developed by a team led by food scientist Edwin Traisman (1915–2007) and was first marketed in 1953.[1]

The bright yellow, viscous paste usually comes in a glass jar, and is used as a topping for corn chips, hot dogs, cheesesteaks, celery, and other foods. It is marketed in the United States, Canada, Venezuela, and the Philippines.

Cheez Whiz is one of a number of "processed cheese foods", a category including some types of individually-wrapped cheese slices. These products contain regular cheese that has been reprocessed along with additional ingredients such as emulsifiers and stabilizing agents, such as xanthan gum or carrageenan. These products derive their tanginess and flavor from additional ingredients such as citric acid and flavoring compounds. Annatto is used for coloring.

http://cache.virtualtourist.com/1/1916975-Cheez_Whiz-Philadelphia.jpg

crabapple
02-16-2010, 06:36 AM
Do you realize now the depth and breadth of the fantastic foods that are eaten here?? Cheez Whiz is teh awesomeness

Caenxavier
02-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Do you realize now the depth and breadth of the fantastic foods that are eaten here?? Cheez Whiz is teh awesomeness

If by fantastic you mean "my god, if I take another bite, I won't be able to breathe!" then yes, fantastic. :p

ferretchucker
02-16-2010, 02:11 PM
Ah, I think I had some Cheese Whiz on Fries with Chilli once when I was in America.

Elvis_Christ
02-16-2010, 02:29 PM
No wonder Americans are such fat fucks :)

cheebacheeba
02-16-2010, 05:02 PM
I know right...like this one time, I saw an American guy...and he was so fat, that his ass had an ass on its ASS! :eek:

Caenxavier
02-16-2010, 05:27 PM
No wonder Americans are such fat fucks :)

Sadly, yes, the non fatty foods we have are super expensive, the poor get fat so the rich can harvest them and turn them into McDonald's hamburgers. It's a vicious cycle.

Elvis_Christ
02-16-2010, 05:55 PM
Yeh a friend was telling me the vegetables in the stores looked like total shit compared to over here.

cheebacheeba
02-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Damn, I'd hate that...
Here, the vegetables and fruit are just, awesome, and they're the cheapest part of most of the food I buy.

Elvis_Christ
02-16-2010, 06:39 PM
Damn, I'd hate that...
Here, the vegetables and fruit are just, awesome, and they're the cheapest part of most of the food I buy.

Yeh a few people have mentioned it to me now along with the fatty "heavy" tasting food. Maybe they were just over there at the wrong time of year?

Despare
02-16-2010, 06:48 PM
Sadly, yes, the non fatty foods we have are super expensive, the poor get fat so the rich can harvest them and turn them into McDonald's hamburgers. It's a vicious cycle.

You're buying at the wrong places then brother. A farmer's market can yield cheap, fresh fruits and veggies any time of the year. Laziness leads to obesity... I don't care where you live.

cheebacheeba
02-16-2010, 06:57 PM
Laziness leads to obesity... I don't care where you live.
Well yeah...I mean if there wasn't a fresh fruit/veggie place near me (haha, there happens to be 3 within my suburb and an organic markets weekly), I'd travel a few suburbs to get to it.
Another large part of a healthy diet is to get your meat/fish/veg ratio in order, a lot of people have that just about ass backwards.

Yeh a few people have mentioned it to me now along with the fatty "heavy" tasting food. Maybe they were just over there at the wrong time of year?
Yeah, don't think I could deal with that...I'd go to where they were selling it

ferretchucker
02-16-2010, 11:11 PM
It is odd how years ago, the fatter you were, the wealthier you were. You could afford to buy lots of food.

Now the poorer folk are fatter since all the fatty foods are cheap.

Ferox13
02-16-2010, 11:36 PM
It is odd how years ago, the fatter you were, the wealthier you were. You could afford to buy lots of food.

Now the poorer folk are fatter since all the fatty foods are cheap.

Yeah complete reversal - i remember reading some research done in poorer Black neighbourhoods in Urban Usa and they said it was very difficult to find fresh fruit and veg in those areas. What little was sold ws over priced - so u can see how tempting it is to feed your kids off the McDonalds dollar menu..

You're buying at the wrong places then brother. A farmer's market can yield cheap, fresh fruits and veggies any time of the year. Laziness leads to obesity... I don't care where you live.

Weirdly enough 'Farmers markets' here are extremely expensive - they tend to have a big mark up on Supermarket Prices...Vegetables are unbelievely expensive in Ireland..Big chain supermarkets tend to have the lowest prices.

Its kinda difficult to travel to do shopping if you're a single parent buying for 4 children with no car to transport the groceries.....I would also say lack of education and/or circumstances also lead to obesity..

ferretchucker
02-17-2010, 12:26 AM
Weirdly enough 'Farmers markets' here are extremely expensive - they tend to have a big mark up on Supermarket Prices...Vegetables are unbelievely expensive in Ireland..Big chain supermarkets tend to have the lowest prices.

I've found this as well. It is worth it at the end, but it seems like your almost paying for the novelty of it. Anything with the word "Organic" that's wrapped in grease proof paper seems to have the right to be expensive.

Caenxavier
02-17-2010, 01:54 AM

You would think that in a rural area you would have a cheap co-op or cheap farmer's market.

But no, the co-op here is run by rich baby boomer hippies who need their organic, free range cous-cous. And the farmers market is small and expensive.
I seem to manage though, we do have a lot of cheap organic foods from locals in our super markets, you just need to know where to look.

Ferox13
02-17-2010, 02:06 AM
But no, the co-op here is run by rich baby boomer hippies who need their organic, free range cous-cous.

Seems to be the case alot of places..

ferretchucker
02-24-2010, 07:46 AM
She's back. Ended up getting Twinkies and Kool - Aid. Would have got that 40s but it was too heavy.

newb
02-24-2010, 08:06 AM
She's back. Ended up getting Twinkies and Kool - Aid. Would have got that 40s but it was too heavy.

Kool-Aid ?

now you can start a cult

cheebacheeba
02-24-2010, 08:10 AM
No liquid smoke?
Bitch-ass...

ferretchucker
02-24-2010, 08:24 AM
Kool-Aid ?

now you can start a cult

Just about to plan the camping trip.

Doc Faustus
02-24-2010, 10:40 AM
Seems to be the case alot of places..

I second that one. I like to get back at Whole Foods by going there only to buy three dollars worth of assorted peppers. If any of you have seen three dollars worth of six different kinds of chili peppers, you know the hell I am putting the cashier and the customers in line through. Checkout takes ages. I also like to pretend I've forgotten the names of all the peppers I've purchased Take that yuppies. Not that I don't use the peppers. I've gotten way into cooking lately and am working on making meals that are roughly the same price as fast food with vegetables in them.

Ferox13
02-24-2010, 02:31 PM
I second that one. I like to get back at Whole Foods by going there only to buy three dollars worth of assorted peppers. If any of you have seen three dollars worth of six different kinds of chili peppers, you know the hell I am putting the cashier and the customers in line through. Checkout takes ages. I also like to pretend I've forgotten the names of all the peppers I've purchased Take that yuppies. Not that I don't use the peppers. I've gotten way into cooking lately and am working on making meals that are roughly the same price as fast food with vegetables in them.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean here - you're trying to deliberately pissing off ppl who shop in the place you do and the ppl who work cashers there (I presume they are minimum wage ppl)...Is this a 'political statement'...i think i'm missing something..

You are hassling the ppl who shop there and the ppl who work the tills becasue what? Thats like going into McDonalds and ordering a Mac and Fries and harrassing the til guy about global corporations...Yeah like hes the the CEO and not making minimum wage...

I've worked some minimum wage jobs (when i was younger) and I really don't think i'd appreciate that at all..

Maybe I'm being trolled here...

Ferox13
02-28-2010, 01:51 PM
So what did u get?

neverending
02-28-2010, 01:56 PM
So what did u get?

http://www.horror.com/forum/showpost.php?p=850820&postcount=60

Elvis_Christ
02-28-2010, 08:06 PM
call the cops

neverending
02-28-2010, 08:12 PM
I answered his question. You have a problem with that?

Elvis_Christ
02-28-2010, 08:23 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/instigator/gfx/2001-2002/lighten_up.jpg

Ferox13
02-28-2010, 11:53 PM
lol.......

neverending
03-01-2010, 12:03 AM
Well, I'm glad my efforts to lend a hand are such a source of amusement to you both. Next time I'll just skip it.

cheebacheeba
03-01-2010, 12:42 AM
I wasn't personally amused by that...though I have to say the indignant reaction made me a little jolly.
Relax man, it's alllll good.
I like your information.
Your outformation is great too.
Wait.
That sounds like a penis.
I take that back and say your outformation may also be great but I have no interest in it.
Honestly.

Ferox13
03-01-2010, 06:08 AM
Well, I'm glad my efforts to lend a hand are such a source of amusement to you both. Next time I'll just skip it.

I was just laughing at my drunk reading and posting on this thread - totally missing that FC said what he got...

Hey FC - did u make the Kool aid yet? I brought some back from the states way back and when I went to make it I was shocked by the amount of sugar u had to add to it - so i didn't bother...

ferretchucker
03-01-2010, 08:15 AM
Yeh, I made the Kool-Aid. Both the Lemonade one and the Black Cherry one. It is a stupid amount of extra sugar but meh. Tastes good.

Elvis_Christ
03-01-2010, 03:24 PM

Chill out man. It was just a joke about how serious you can be at times to break the seriousness. Nothing worth getting all butthurt about.