PDA

View Full Version : Your Top 10 for 2009?

massacre man
12-20-2009, 08:52 AM
It's all in the title.

10. District 9
While I may not have enjoyed it as much as everyone else I still thought it was a great movie. Initially, I was just a bit impressed but after a peer mentioned that the script "was probably written in 8 minutes" I revisited it and, that fella be damned, it just got even better.

9. Drag Me To Hell
I've seen this several times since it's release, 3 of those in the theater. The only way my viewing experience could have improved from all of the times I've seen was by not watching it with a cat person.

8. Observe and Report
Perhaps the funniest study of a dark character I've ever seen. Seth Rogen gives the best performance thus far in his career as Ronnie, the bipolar mall security guard with dreams of becoming a cop. It performed poorly, perhaps because of the audiences' expectations of a goofy comedy starring Seth Rogen or perhaps because of the "rape controversy" surrounding a certain scene (why was only Seth Rogen blamed? He didn't write or direct the scene and Anna Farris was also there.) Either way, it deserved much more attention and praise.

7. Watchmen
Hands down best comic book movie of the year (though Wolverine really wasn't much competition.) The comic was brought to life without much being changed in the sense of the story, tough the ending is very different. Jackie Earle Haley deserves serious award consideration for his starring role.

6. The Hurt Locker
I started watching this expecting not to be wowed, but wow! This was one of the most intense movies I've ever seen. I originally watched because of Guy Pearce being in it and was a bit disappointed with his limited screentime, but the rest of the movie more than made up for it. I can't recommend it highly enough. Go see The Hurt Locker!

5. Funny People
This is higher on my list than it would be for anybody else here I'm sure. But I'm a big Sandler fan (Well, I believe he can act and get excited when he actually shows it.) as well as a big fan of Rogen and Apatow. So this grouping had me excited from the start once I found it would be a more serious project. Many complained about the run time, but I didn't mind at all, I was completely into it the whole time. i absolutely loved the scene with Eminem and Ray Romano, it could possibly be my favorite cameo of all-time.

4. Up
It's a Pixar movie, of course it would be great! Though I felt it a step down from last year's Wall-E, this is easily my second favorite Pixar movie. Walter is a character I wanted to follow through the entire movie and beyond. Dug has also officially taken the position of favorite movie dog, sorry Sam from Dog Soldiers. This one was much more wacky than Pixar's other movies as well (dogs flying airplanes). But the heart and soul remain intact and the film ends in something that will warm yours.

3. Trick 'R Treat
Well, after all these years and "Damn you, Roderick Usher for telling me about this so early"s later, I finally got to see it. Well worth the wait. It filled me up with all of the wonder and goosebumps Halloween gave me when I was a little kid dressing up as Batman to go out for candy and to see all of the witches and pumpkins and ghouls. While nothing will replace John Carpenter's Halloween (first film I ever remember seeing) in my heart as the representative for the scariest night of the year, this is a very, very, very close second.

2. Inglourious Basterds
The members of this forum have already said everything that could possibly said about this movie, so I'll agree with the great reviews and simply add: Yes, Quentin, this is your masterpiece. Oh, and give Waltz the Oscar.

1. A Serious Man
Only the Coens can tell a story about a Jewish physics professor and his family in 1967 Minneapolis and make me feel like I'm there. The film is clearly made with a perfect mixture of love, creativity, and skill. After a movie starring George Clooney and Brad Ptt they took the risk and made this film with a cast of unknowns (A very big welcome to Michael Stuhlbarg, I look forward to seeing much more of you). This is my favorite movie of the year and I can't wait to put the DVD in my collection right next to Burn After Reading.

Anyway, folks. Share yours.

ferretchucker
12-20-2009, 10:11 AM
In no particular order;

Zombieland
Watchmen
Trick 'r Treat
Star Trek
Xmen Origins: Wolverine
Drag me to Hell
District 9
The Men who Stare at Goats

missmacabre
12-20-2009, 11:16 AM
I'm thinking of more movie's I've seen this year now, so I'm gonna keep editing this post. Currently organizing. Maybe blurbs later.

Martyrs
Start Trek
Inglourious Basterds
Drag Me To Hell
The Hangover
Paranormal Activity
Zombieland
Watchmen
Trick-r-Treat
Coraline

Other movies I saw:

District 9
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Terminator Salvation
Saw VI

Movies I want to see:
(Huuuge list. With all the homework I've had no time for the love of my life, movies. For my reference more than yours, but reviews or advice would be nice.)

The Burrowers
UP
Dead Snow
Evangelion 1.0
Had a chance to see this in theaters, but ended up bogged down with projects. Would have been quite the experience.
(500) Days of Summer
Is this as pretentious as I think it will be? Joseph Gordon-Levitt makes me want to see it but it's probably a typical indie flick.
Dead Girl
I've read good reviews both here and at Rue Morgue. Seems to be more than worth my time.
Thirst
Had really been looking forward to this one, and heard some awesome reviews here and on youtube.
Julie and Julia
I'm a sucker for a Meryl Streep movie, and my Mom suggests it.
Ponyo
OMGOMG so cuuuttte ^^ Miazaki is a genius and makes perfect movies.
Grace
Whip It
It's about roller derby. I have wanted to be a roller derby girl for years but there's no team near me. Obviously this movie appealed to me.
Antichrist
Nine I'll probably go see this soon. Fucking musicals get my money any day.

_____V_____
12-20-2009, 06:42 PM
This could be a fun short project, if everyone wasn't so busy with Christmas right now.

ChronoGrl
12-20-2009, 06:49 PM
This could be a fun short project, if everyone wasn't so busy with Christmas right now.

And here I thought that YOU were Mr. Listastic. ;-P

No kidding. Was going to start this thread, but need to sit down and go through movies that were released this year. The ones last January I generally associated with the previous year.

I've started my "list" so far - Hopefully will complete it by the end of the week. Seeing people's pics help me remember.

Good choices so far.

_____V_____
12-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Might as well put mine on here too...

01 - District 9
02 - Inglourious Basterds
03 - Avatar
04 - Up
05 - Zombieland
06 - Watchmen
07 - Star Trek
08 - Coraline
09 - Moon
10 - Knowing

massacre man
12-20-2009, 09:23 PM
I thought Knowing was your #1, __V__, I was about to drop my jaw and let it type a bunch of gibberish on my keyboard!

massacre man
12-20-2009, 09:27 PM
The Burrowers
UP
Dead Snow
Evangelion 1.0
Had a chance to see this in theaters, but ended up bogged down with projects. Would have been quite the experience.
(500) Days of Summer
Is this as pretentious as I think it will be? Joseph Gordon-Levitt makes me want to see it but it's probably a typical indie flick.
Dead Girl
I've read good reviews both here and at Rue Morgue. Seems to be more than worth my time.
Thirst
Had really been looking forward to this one, and heard some awesome reviews here and on youtube.
Julie and Julia
I'm a sucker for a Meryl Streep movie, and my Mom suggests it.
Ponyo
OMGOMG so cuuuttte ^^ Miazaki is a genius and makes perfect movies.
Grace
Whip It
It's about roller derby. I have wanted to be a roller derby girl for years but there's no team near me. Obviously this movie appealed to me.
Antichrist
Nine I'll probably go see this soon. Fucking musicals get my money any day.

See Up now, damn it! And 500 Days of Summer, I don't know how to compare it to other indie movies, I think I knew better than to actually watch one. But I did like 500 Days.

_____V_____
12-20-2009, 09:27 PM
I thought Knowing was your #1, __V__, I was about to drop my jaw and let it type a bunch of gibberish on my keyboard!

Would have given even Nic Cage a serious stroke too. Nah, I think I ll let you two live. For now. :D

massacre man
12-20-2009, 09:39 PM
Would have given even Nic Cage a serious stroke too. Nah, I think I ll let you two live. For now. :D

Wow, I am way too tired to be online right now, I did a double-take and had to read that twice because I read that stroke part wrong. I'm going to bed. Haha.

Ferox13
12-21-2009, 12:19 AM
I'm thinking of more movie's I've seen this year now, so I'm gonna keep editing this post. Currently organizing. Maybe blurbs later.

Whip It

Must look for this - some ppl I work are sponsoring a team - They're trying to get a league off the dround..I'll prolly end up doing design for them..

roshiq
12-21-2009, 02:33 AM
Best Horror films of 2009:

Trick-r-Treat
Zombieland
Antichrist
Grace
Halloween II
Drag Me To Hell
Orphan
Dread
Triangle
My Bloody Valentine 3D

Honorable Mentions: Deadgirl, Donkey Punch, Hush, Kill Theory, Vertige / High Lane, The Uninvited, The House of the devil.

Best Non-Horror films of 2009:

District 9
Inglourious Basterds
Mother (Korean)
Up
Watchmen
Moon
Coraline
Star Trek
Where the Wild things are
Knowing

Honorable Mentions:Black Dynamite, Observe and Report, State of Play, Taken, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans.

Movies haven't seen yet:
Avatar, The Collector, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Gomorrah, Giallo, Pontypool, A Serious Man, Sorority Row, Thirst, Up in the Air, The White Ribbon

Worst of the year:Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, 2012

Anyway, there are still 10 more days left of 2009, I'll update the above lists if I can get to watch some of the other recommended & acclaimed films of the year.

bwind22
12-21-2009, 01:43 PM
-Top 10 of 2009-
Zombieland
Inglourious Basterds
Drag Me to Hell
Star Trek
Watchmen
Coraline
Friday the 13th
Blood: The Last Vampire
Observe and Report
The Hangover

-Honorable Mentions-
I Love You, Man
The Last House on the Left
Monsters vs. Aliens
Up
Underworld: Rise of the Lycans
Trick r' Treat
X-Men Origins: Wolverine

-Worth a watch-
Crank 2: High Voltage
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
Bruno
Funny People

-Pretty Bad-
Terminator: Salvation
Fighting
Know1ng
My Bloody Valentine

-Terrible-
The Haunting in Connecticut
Push
Year One
Miss March
The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard
Adventureland
Notorious
Aliens in the Attic
Paul Blart: Mall Cop
Land of the Lost
Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li
Hannah Montana: The Movie

Despare
12-21-2009, 06:18 PM
Whip It

Still have to see this, one of my friends says I "HAVE TO" because her friend has a small spot in it. While they were doing some filming here they used a local team in the movie.

Angelakillsluts
12-22-2009, 04:27 AM
Zombieland
District 9
Inglourious Basterds
Star Trek
Coraline
Trick r Treat
Nine
A Serious Man
Precious
Paranormal Activity

ChronoGrl
12-24-2009, 06:38 PM
Here's what I have so far... "So far" because there are a LOT of movies that I have yet to see... But of the movies that I've seen...

Inglourious Basterds
Up
Observe and Report
Coraline
Trick 'r Treat
Surveillance
Watchmen
Julie & Julia
Paranormal Activity
Drag Me To Hell

Runners Up:

Jennifer's Body
The Hangover
Zombieland

The_Return
01-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Here's my tentative list, keeping in mind that there are still A LOT of pretty amazing looking movies from '09 that I've yet to see.

1. Up in the Air
2. Avatar
3. Inglorious Basterds
4. District 9
5. Brothers
6. Where the Wild Things Are
7. Up
8. The Informant!
9. Sherlock Holmes
10. Zombieland

Honorable Mentions:

9, Drag Me to Hell, Knowing, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Gamer

Yet to See:

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
A Serious Man
A Single Man
The Messenger
Coraline
Moon
Star Trek
Fantastic Mr. Fox
(500) Days of Summer
Antichrist
Nine
Crazy Heart
The Lovely Bones
An Education
Pandorum

...among others.

I'm sure the list will change drastically once I check out a few more of the year's offerings - I'd bet quite a few entries on my Yet to See list will find their way into my Top 10.

As for the opposite end of the spectrum, here's a list counting down to the worst garbage I had the misfortune of seeing in 2009. #5 and #4 really weren't that bad, I just wanted to round out the list.

5. The Men Who Stare at Goats
4. Public Enemies
3. The Final Destination
2. Whiteout
1. Jennifer's Body

massacre man
01-03-2010, 05:36 AM
I want to do a worst list but the only movies I recall seeing that I absolutely didn't like were Avatar and Wolverine. I avoided Jennifer's Body like the plague that is Megan Fox and I didn't see The Final Destination because my usual cutoff point on a horror series is when they resort to 3-D.

So...
Bottom films of 2009:
2. Avatar
1. Wolverine

_____V_____
01-03-2010, 06:37 AM
here's a list counting down to the worst garbage i had the misfortune of seeing in 2009

1. Jennifer's body

i avoided jennifer's body like the plague that is megan fox

bottom films of 2009:
2. Avatar

:(

massacre man
01-03-2010, 07:54 AM
At least it wasn't Wolverine!

ChronoGrl
01-03-2010, 09:30 AM
As for the opposite end of the spectrum, here's a list counting down to the worst garbage I had the misfortune of seeing in 2009. #5 and #4 really weren't that bad, I just wanted to round out the list.

5. The Men Who Stare at Goats
4. Public Enemies
3. The Final Destination
2. Whiteout
1. Jennifer's Body

Wow - Hated Jennifer's Body that much? I thought it was a blast. I was a little disappointed because the trailer showed you EVERYTHING, but that's just bad advertising. I'm going ti give it some more time and watch it again.

So I just watched The Children (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1172571/) last night and I have to add it to my Runners Up list... FANTASTIC horror film. Highly recommend it if you're looking for a quality indie horror flick.

Ferox13
01-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Wow - Hated Jennifer's Body that much? I thought it was a blast. I was a little disappointed because the trailer showed you EVERYTHING, but that's just bad advertising. I'm going ti give it some more time and watch it again.

So I just watched The Children (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1172571/) last night and I have to add it to my Runners Up list... FANTASTIC horror film. Highly recommend it if you're looking for a quality indie horror flick.

Yeah I thought Jennifer's Body was good for what it was..

And yeah the Children is a great creepy little film - hard to feel sorry for such unlikableadults though :-)

ChronoGrl
01-03-2010, 09:54 AM
And yeah the Children is a great creepy little film - hard to feel sorry for such unlikableadults though :-)

Well, I mostly identified with the blond mother (whom I think we're supposed to identify with)... And while the parents were definitely unlikeable, they weren't unlikeable to a point where I thought they "deserved" what they got... I still found it horrifying. Even if I don't like a character, I can still be horrified when they're horrified, unless their character crosses a point in their personality where I think they "deserve" what they're getting.

fortunato
01-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Didn't get to see 10% of the movies that came out in 2009 that I wanted to see, so I can't really make a list I feel totally good about, but here's something anyway.

No particular order, I guess.

Inglourious Basterds
Antichrist
UP
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Drag Me to Hell
The Hurt Locker
Zombieland was a blast
Coraline
Ponyo

friday13thfan
01-03-2010, 05:33 PM
In no order

Brothers
Zombieland
Eureka Seven: Pocket full of rainbows
The Hangover
Coraline
Friday The 13th
Adventureland
X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Elvis_Christ
01-03-2010, 05:53 PM
Embodiment Of Evil
Halloween II
Terminator: Salvation
Bronson
Watchmen
District 9
Friday The 13th
Trick R Treat
Laid To Rest
Inglorious Basterds

I've been slack and haven't got round to putting Antichrist or Hanger in the player yet but I'm sure they'll make my list.

fortunato
01-03-2010, 06:57 PM
Embodiment Of Evil

Oh, yeah! I can't believe I forgot this one. I was super impressed with this one, even with having so much riding on it.