PDA

View Full Version : Bloody Disgusting's Top 20 Horror Films of the Decade

_____V_____
12-19-2009, 08:33 AM
In reverse order, here goes...

Honorable Mention - Frailty (Lionsgate; April 12, 2002)

20. Cloverfield (Paramount Pictures; January 18, 2008)

19. American Psycho (Lionsgate; January 21, 2000)

18. The Devil’s Backbone (20th Century Fox; September 2, 2001)

17. May (Lionsgate; January 13, 2003)

16. Paranormal Activity (Paramount Pictures; September 25, 2009)

15. Battle Royale (Tartan; 2000 Japan)

14. Audition (Lionsgate; 2000 Japan)

13. Drag Me To Hell (Universal Pictures; May 29, 2009)

12. Inside (Dimension Extreme; April 15, 2008)

11. [REC] (Sony Pictures; 2007 Spain)

10. Saw (Lionsgate; October 29, 2004)

9. Trick ‘r Treat (Warner Premiere; October 6, 2009)

8. Dawn of the Dead (Universal Pictures; March 10, 2004)

7. 28 Days Later (Fox Searchlight; November 1, 2002)

6. The Ring (DreamWorks; October 18, 2002)

5. Session 9 (USA Films; August 10, 2001)

4. The Mist (Dimension Films; November 21, 2007)

3. The Descent (Lionsgate; August 4, 2006)

2. Shaun of the Dead (Focus Fetaures; September 24, 2004)

and

1. Let the Right One In (Magnolia Pictures; March 10, 2009)

(Bloody Disgusting writers collaborated on a list of some of the best films this decade. The entire list was given to the Bloody Disgusting staff who then built their own Top 20 lists. Each film was given a point value. #20 received 1 point, #19 received 2 points, and so on all the way to number 1, which received 20 points. The numbers were tallied and the result are the top films listed. The bonus film had tied with #20 and the tie was broken by the number of actual votes.)

Hmm...as you can see - no Ginger Snaps, no HOTC/TDRs, no Blade II, no Grindhouse?! no Final Destination?! no Dog Soldiers??? Maybe they left out Pan's Labyrinth because it bordered more on fantasy than horror...

And Saw ranked so high?! The Ring at #6???

Makes you wonder.

VampiricClown
12-19-2009, 08:43 AM
Blech...That list is no good.

fortunato
12-19-2009, 07:49 PM
It's somewhat decent, I guess.

roshiq
12-19-2009, 10:50 PM
No Orphanage?...No Eden Lake!?!...No TCM remake!??!..damn! this list really sucks!:D

Anyway, it's actually tough to make a list that can please everyone. In almost every list with this sorta title would have some "non-deserving" entry. Overall, this is not a bad list except entries like Paranormal Activity & Dawn of the Dead remake.

And no hard feelings guys but I think considering Raimi's DMTH as one of the best of this decade is bit exaggerating also.

psycho d
12-20-2009, 04:15 AM
It's a decent list actually, just not what i would have picked. i'd say that 70 percent of that list is at least a contender. Ashe.
d

The Mothman
12-20-2009, 12:17 PM
This list isn't actually all that bad.

maldito_x
12-31-2009, 12:54 AM
there's no excuse for pan's labrynth being left off, and paranormal activity deserves to be in the top 5. i guess its ok, not great though, no wonder u left that forum

The_Return
12-31-2009, 07:35 AM
Nice to see Session 9 ranked so high.

Despare
12-31-2009, 08:01 AM
I can see the first Saw ranked so high, easily. Maybe you're suffering from SIA (or sequel induced amnesia), a common problem in which multiple sequels of varying quality make one forget how great the first movie in a series was.

bwind22
12-31-2009, 08:21 AM
About half those films would make my top 20, half wouldn't.

Battle Royale isn't horror.

May, Audition, Let the Right One In, Session 9, and The Descent would all probably make my list for most over-rated horror films of the decade.

Angra
12-31-2009, 08:45 AM
I guess Bloody Disgusting doesn't watch a lot of asian movies, coz to me this decade has been the best asian decade ever, horror wise.

Where the hell is "A Tale Of Two Sisters"???

RACISTS!!! :mad:

I have absolutely no problem with nr. 1 tho. :)

ChronoGrl
01-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Decent list... I don't necessarily agree with all of it, but aside from The Ring, I think that those are all good films...

Definitely missing:

The Grudge (original and remake)
The Signal
FEAST
Audition
Ginger Snaps
Ginger Snaps: Unleashed
Slither
28 Weeks Later
Ils
Tokyo Gore Police

REALLY glad to see Inside, Session 9, and May on there. Fantastic films. I don't really think that The Mist belongs there... As for Saw, I think it was pretty iconic and influential. Not my favorite, but I would say it belongs there.

I would say that the most disappointing part for me is that I've seen all of those... I need more movies to add to my Netflix queue.

The Flayed One
01-02-2010, 08:49 AM
ANY list without Ginger Snaps on it, be it for decade or of all time, is mine enemy.

I agree with about half of it. Then again, I imagine that's about the ratio of our top 100.

As for Saw, it seems easy nowaday to forget how awe inspiring and genre changing the original movie was. I'm not going to call anyone who says they weren't shocked and pleased with the (at the time not overdone) twist ending a liar; but if you weren't shocked and pleased at the twist ending, you're a liar. Saw was an incredible breakthrough for the genre in that it was one of the first majorly franchised movies in two decades. Whether or not it deserves to be as high on the list based on the movie itself is debatable (I would have put it slightly lower, but not much.) I don't think anyone can disagree that it deserves to be on the list, however, and probably very high up.

Ferox13
01-02-2010, 12:03 PM
As for Saw, it seems easy nowaday to forget how awe inspiring and genre changing the original movie was. I'm not going to call anyone who says they weren't shocked and pleased with the (at the time not overdone) twist ending a liar; but if you weren't shocked and pleased at the twist ending, you're a liar. Saw was an incredible breakthrough for the genre in that it was one of the first majorly franchised movies in two decades.

I was very dissapointed with it..

I remember seeing the trailer in the cinema and the idea of making these ppl go thru these self damaging ordeals looked really original. I think i was conned into thinking it was a bigger budget slicker film and they definally made good use of their name star to make it look that way....

I thought one of the 2 guys chained at the beginning was the killer because his he was 'acting' scared (as opposed to acting badly)....

If I realised it was a low budget horror i might have been more forgiving of the acting etc.....that being said it wasn't a bad film and its effect on future 'horror' has been huge..

iSeymore
01-11-2010, 08:20 AM
No Orphanage?...No Eden Lake!?!...No TCM remake!??!..damn! this list really sucks!:D

Anyway, it's actually tough to make a list that can please everyone. In almost every list with this sorta title would have some "non-deserving" entry. Overall, this is not a bad list except entries like Paranormal Activity & Dawn of the Dead remake.

And no hard feelings guys but I think considering Raimi's DMTH as one of the best of this decade is bit exaggerating also.
@ Roshiq: I agree! The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) was awesome, and bloody and disgusting at the same time!

@ Topic: I think that the SAW movies and both Hostel Parts I and II were awesome movies that were both bloody and disgusting. I also think The Hills Have Eyes I and II (Remakes) should have been added and the same with the Wrong turn trilogy. :\ Hahaha.

UngodlyWarlock
01-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Not a bad list. I'm glad to see Inside on there, but surprised Martyrs was on there in some capacity.

FreddyMyers
01-15-2010, 10:16 AM
Pretty solid list, besides a couple of em but im schocked that ginger snaps and the orphanage isnt on there. I would have had orphanage as #2! I think they nailed it by putting let the right one in as #1. That was seriously one of the best movies ive ever seen. Heard theres an american version of it coming out. Please say its not true.

wufongtan.
01-16-2010, 12:01 AM
A lot of people here seem to like let the right one in. I missed at the movies and sort of been dismissing it at the video store. I always thought it would be cheesy. Guess i might have to go watch it. See what all the fuss is about.

mlauzon
01-27-2010, 09:22 AM
I still can't believe that "Drag Me To Hell" even made the list, it was a bad movie, and made for young teens and not for adults; SotD is more of a comedy than a horror movie, so IMHO it shouldn't've made the list.

mlauzon
01-27-2010, 09:46 AM
I know that, you know that, Bloody Disgusting however, doesn't know that! The problem with that list as well, is it's movies that got theatrical releases, I don't think there is a straight-to-video release on that list.

I wonder what kind of top 20 list of horror movies for the decade that members of Horror.com can come up with that were either released theatrically or straight-to-video.

mlauzon
01-27-2010, 10:14 AM
A top * list doesn't necessarily have to be favourites, it could just be a list of what is good, what is bad, etc.

DeluzioNFX
01-30-2010, 04:18 PM
ANY list without Ginger Snaps on it, be it for decade or of all time, is mine enemy.

I agree with about half of it. Then again, I imagine that's about the ratio of our top 100.

As for Saw, it seems easy nowaday to forget how awe inspiring and genre changing the original movie was. I'm not going to call anyone who says they weren't shocked and pleased with the (at the time not overdone) twist ending a liar; but if you weren't shocked and pleased at the twist ending, you're a liar. Saw was an incredible breakthrough for the genre in that it was one of the first majorly franchised movies in two decades. Whether or not it deserves to be as high on the list based on the movie itself is debatable (I would have put it slightly lower, but not much.) I don't think anyone can disagree that it deserves to be on the list, however, and probably very high up.

+1 for ginger snaps

mlauzon
01-30-2010, 04:25 PM
Ginger Snaps was a great movie, the sequels not so much, however, my favourite character from Ginger Snaps: Unleashed had to be Ghost! I saw both movies at advance screenings, however the screening for the first one a few of the cast were in attendance and if I remember correctly the writer was there and a few producers.

Doctor Loomis
01-30-2010, 08:01 PM
there's no excuse for pan's labrynth being left off, and paranormal activity deserves to be in the top 5. i guess its ok, not great though, no wonder u left that forum

paranormal sucks, and is highly overrated tbh

mlauzon
01-31-2010, 02:20 AM
paranormal sucks, and is highly overrated tbh

I agree, and also saw it before the hype, the movie was still shit and I can't believe there's going to be a PA2 coming out.

Razorghost
01-31-2010, 11:14 PM
I still can't believe that "Drag Me To Hell" even made the list, it was a bad movie, and made for young teens and not for adults; SotD is more of a comedy than a horror movie, so IMHO it shouldn't've made the list.

GRRRRR I know seriously what the fuck is with these morons putting SotD in EVERY FUCKING horror movie list !!

What part of HORROR MOVIE are they not getting?????

It's CLEARLY a comedy!! and to put it in a list with session 9 and saw, paranormal act you know movies that are actually horror movies is just absolutely FUCKING RETARDED!!!

This SotD being mentioned in best horror movie lists has become a real pet peeve of mine.

Ferox13
02-01-2010, 01:33 AM
GRRRRR I know seriously what the fuck is with these morons putting SotD in EVERY FUCKING horror movie list !!

What part of HORROR MOVIE are they not getting?????

It's CLEARLY a comedy!! and to put it in a list with session 9 and saw, paranormal act you know movies that are actually horror movies is just absolutely FUCKING RETARDED!!!

This SotD being mentioned in best horror movie lists has become a real pet peeve of mine.

Its a comedy horror film - as already mentioned zombies clearly put it in the horror genre....

Rayne
02-01-2010, 02:22 PM
I agree, and also saw it before the hype, the movie was still shit and I can't believe there's going to be a PA2 coming out.

I have to admit that I didn't really like Paranormal Activity, and I was expecting something better...Or just something 'good', really...This has to be one of the most overrated movies of all-time...Perhaps the people who really like this one, are the same people who didn't mind sitting through all of Audition because the last 20 minutes were good...I'm just not one of those people.

Instead of PA2, check out P2...It gets ahold of you in the first 15-20 minutes, and doesn't let go :)...P2 is one of the most underrated movies, in my opinion.

Elvis_Christ
02-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Instead of PA2, check out P2...It gets ahold of you in the first 15-20 minutes, and doesn't let go :)...P2 is one of the most underrated movies, in my opinion.

I've picked that up at the store a few times but never given it a hire. I should check it out!

Rayne
02-01-2010, 02:30 PM
I've picked that up at the store a few times but never given it a hire. I should check it out!

Let me know if you like it :)

Razorghost
02-01-2010, 07:42 PM
It's number one on my best of the last decade list. That must piss you off.

You have to be joking!!! No seriously !!

Shaun of the Dead IS NOT A HORROR MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!

It's a spoof on zombie flicks you have to be mentally retarded to consider this a horror movie.

omg.............I can't believe some people on a horror forum consider this a horror film I honestly thought this would be the last place I would ever hear of SOTD being mentioned among horror films.

I don't care how much you like it!! IT"S STILL NOT A HORROR MOVIE!!!!!!!

Laura6
02-02-2010, 08:32 AM
I agree with 60 percent of the list...but everyone has their own opinions..I do strongly disagree with Shaun of the Dead

Doctor Loomis
02-03-2010, 09:37 AM
also what do yall expect?
it's freaking bloody disgusting. who cares about those guys.

hey! i post on that site jerk face >:|

Anthropophagus
02-03-2010, 10:39 AM
May? i dont think so

SOTD,yes its a great comedy but i agree with some in that it is not a horror film rather a horror comedy and should not be included in this list.

Drag me to Hell is ok,nothing more

There will never be a list for everyone,so i`ll just leave this list alone and stick with my own.

Doc Faustus
02-03-2010, 10:41 AM
That list is idiotic. One Miike film and they pick Audition? I've got a feeling these guys don't watch many movies.

Laura6
02-03-2010, 12:10 PM
May? i dont think so

SOTD,yes its a great comedy but i agree with some in that it is not a horror film rather a horror comedy and should not be included in this list.

Drag me to Hell is ok,nothing more

There will never be a list for everyone,so i`ll just leave this list alone and stick with my own.

I agree on Drag me to Hell...very overrated

Razorghost
02-04-2010, 12:10 AM
How old are you? :confused:

Old enough to know Shaun of the dead is not a fucking horror movie that's how old I am!!

Look I realize some nerds opinion doesn't matter but this a forum to discuss horror movies is it not? calling Sotd a horror movie is like saying Roseanne Barr is hot.

If someone asked you what's a good scary movie to watch is are you gonna recommended Sotd?? I think not!

I'm done with this Sotd bullshit, time to start talking about REAL horror movies.

Ferox13
02-04-2010, 01:01 AM
If someone asked you what's a good scary movie to watch is are you gonna recommended Sotd?? I think not!

So would you not consider EVil Dead 3 - ReAnimator - Street Trash or Brain Dead horror films either....

I wouldn't consider any of them in the slight bit scary either - they played more for laughs than scares....

UngodlyWarlock
02-04-2010, 12:38 PM
So would you not consider EVil Dead 3 - ReAnimator - Street Trash or Brain Dead horror films either....

I wouldn't consider any of them in the slight bit scary either - they played more for laughs than scares....

Totally agree. Much like heavy metal, there are many sub-genres within the over-arching main genre of "horror". One of those sub-genres is "Horror-comedy". The word horror is in there, it's a horror movie.

It's just not the kind of horror movie some prefer to watch (evidently).