PDA

View Full Version : FEARnet's Top 10 Horror Films of 2009

_____V_____
12-18-2009, 08:56 AM
In alphabetical order...

District 9

First-time director Neill Blomkamp reinvents the alien invasion genre with finesse. When aliens come down to Earth, the creatures are effectively imprisoned in government-run ghettos. After nearly 30 the years, the government tires of them and the evictions begin. District 9 seamlessly merges mockumentary and narrative styles with plenty of action and amazing monsters, making it no surprise that Blomkamp is rumored to be helming the much-anticipated Halo film.

Drag Me To Hell

When a too-nice-for-her-job loan officer chooses to get tough with a desperate old lady, she finds herself cursed and… well, dragged to hell. Sam Raimi (Evil Dead, Spider-man) brings back his signature mix of gore, comedy, and wacky action, making Drag Me To Hell the film that will wash the bad taste of Spiderman 3 out of your mouth.

Grace

Becoming a parent is scary enough. Grace doesn’t make it any easier. The indie shocker sees pregnant Madeline carrying her child to full term, despite the fact that the baby died in the womb midway through the pregnancy. The eponymous child is brought back to life upon birth, but with an appetite for blood – which mommy dearest gives in to willingly. This ride is not meant for expectant mothers.

House of the Devil

Not since the call came from inside the house has baby-sitting gone so very, very wrong. A college student takes a baby-sitting gig only to find out that her clients intend to use her in a satanic ritual. House of the Devil is a total throwback to the 1980's genre flicks, right down to the creepy vintage poster art.

Orphan

When a dysfunctional family adopts a 9-year-old in the hopes of strengthening family ties, things go horribly wrong in the best way possible. It’s kind of like The Omen meets The Hand That Rocks the Cradle. Adopted Esther isn’t the devil’s child; she is just a dark girl with a disturbing secret who teaches a lesson to anyone who crosses her.

Paranormal Activity

This decade’s Blair Witch Project, Paranormal Activity snuck out of the shadows to become the year’s most profitable film. When strange noises and a mysterious presence keep a young couple up at night, they set up a camcorder in an attempt to prove demonic activity. The film, shot in 2006 in the director’s own home with a crew of three and a budget of $15k, proves that script and imagination goes a long way.

Pontypool

This Canadian zombie flick that really isn't a zombie flick slipped in under the radar. A shock jock gets bumped from the airwaves so many times the only gig he finds is broadcasting out of a church basement in Pontypool. But when reports of extreme, flesh-eating violence amongst townsfolk come in, it is discovered that a virus is being spread through language itself. A bizarre little tale, based on the book and given a meager release with the help of IFC Films.

Thirst

Korean director Park Chan-wook brings his over-the-top violence to the horror genre with Thirst. When a priest volunteers as a test subject for an experimental vaccine and almost dies, he is accidentally transfused with vampire blood and goes from holy man to holy terror.

Zombieland

Who knew that the funniest movie of the year would be a zombie flick? This surprise hit sees a ragtag group of zombie apocalypse survivors heading cross-country in order to find a fabled oasis away from the brain-chompers. With equal parts comedy, action and gore, and the best cameo in any film in recent memory, Zombieland is a no-brainer.

Honorable Mention: Trick R Treat

Much to the disappointment of many a gorehound, this infamous flick never made it into theatres, but it finally made it to DVD. This quartet of chilling tales all have a Halloween theme, and have a cast so good it seems silly not to have had a theatrical run: Anna Paquin (True Blood), Leslie Bibb (The Midnight Meat Train), Brian Cox (Red Eye), Tahmoh Penikett (Dollhouse), Moneca Delain (Lost Boys: The Tribe), and Dylan Baker (Fido).

Ferox13
12-18-2009, 09:14 AM
District 9 is a horror film?

Is
House of the Devil any good?

siorai
12-18-2009, 01:31 PM
District 9 is a horror film?

No kidding. I guess it would be pretty damn scary having your DNA be fused with alien DNA. But it's not exactly enough to warrant District 9 being called a horror movie.

Grace? Seriously? The overall plot is pretty interesting, but the execution just sucked. I spent at least the last half of the movie desperately trying to not take note of the gaping plot holes and unbelievable acting.

fortunato
12-18-2009, 01:43 PM
Is House of the Devil any good?

Yes, it's a really fun 80s throwback. I enjoyed it, for sure.

roshiq
12-19-2009, 11:43 PM
Besides the HM: Trick R Treat, there are 9 titles. Where's the no. 10?

Anyway, I think Antichrist, I sell the dead, Dread & Deadgirl are also good contenders to make a spot in this year's Top 10 Horror.

Grace? Seriously? The overall plot is pretty interesting, but the execution just sucked. I spent at least the last half of the movie desperately trying to not take note of the gaping plot holes and unbelievable acting.

Nope. A very well deserved entry.

Yes, it's a really fun 80s throwback. I enjoyed it, for sure.

Yeah...it quite beautifully captured the 80's tone overall but took bit too much time to develop the suspense at the adequate moment.

neverending
12-20-2009, 12:07 AM
Well, this is Fearnet, after all.

ChronoGrl
12-20-2009, 06:02 PM
I thought that Grace was Ok. I think that I probably would have liked it more if I didn't have high expectations based on some rave reviews it got on here.

Honestly - Loved the concept. Very Rosemary's Baby meets Ray Bradbury's The Small Assassin.

HOWEVER

I honestly think that it could have pushed the envelope more. I feel as though it was trying to be really "shocking," but didn't quite make it there. It could be that I'm desensitized, but I REALLY think that it could have pushed the envelope even more to make it a delightfully icky film.

Other than that, I would bump District 9 off the list entirely (it was really only 1/3 a good movie) and bump up Trick 'r Treat. Also, I really have a hard time believing that The Orphan was any good... Or, well THAT good.

Has anyone seen it?

With the rave reviews that movies like Mum and Dad, Martyrs, and Antichrist have gotten, I have to roll my eyes at that list a bit.

Then again, those aforementioned movies might actually have been released prior to 2009 in their respective homelands, but only made it to the US this past year. I'm too lazy to go figure it out for myself.

Also - I think there should definitely be a shout out to Tokyo Gore Police.

But, ultimately, NE is right: It's Fearnet. It'll only go after the popular horror movies and only the MOST Popular of the cult ones.

Ferox13
12-21-2009, 07:29 AM
I thought that Grace was Ok. I think that I probably would have liked it more if I didn't have high expectations based on some rave reviews it got on here.

Honestly - Loved the concept. Very Rosemary's Baby meets Ray Bradbury's The Small Assassin.

HOWEVER

I honestly think that it could have pushed the envelope more. I feel as though it was trying to be really "shocking," but didn't quite make it there. It could be that I'm desensitized, but I REALLY think that it could have pushed the envelope even more to make it a delightfully icky film.

Other than that, I would bump District 9 off the list entirely (it was really only 1/3 a good movie) and bump up Trick 'r Treat. Also, I really have a hard time believing that The Orphan was any good... Or, well THAT good.

Has anyone seen it?

With the rave reviews that movies like Mum and Dad, Martyrs, and Antichrist have gotten, I have to roll my eyes at that list a bit.

Then again, those aforementioned movies might actually have been released prior to 2009 in their respective homelands, but only made it to the US this past year. I'm too lazy to go figure it out for myself.

Also - I think there should definitely be a shout out to Tokyo Gore Police.

But, ultimately, NE is right: It's Fearnet. It'll only go after the popular horror movies and only the MOST Popular of the cult ones.

I don't see their list as that bad - I'd definally have had Trick 'r Treat up there - District 9 really isn't a horror film...

I did like Grace - it was wasn't amazing (LOL) but it was pretty solid. Weirdly I did find it quite icky too...

I absolutely loved Orphan - granted it I enjoyed it on the big screen with a bag of cans but I came out totally loving it..Its totally trashy AND I didn't get the twist either LOL..

I liked Antichrist but I can see ppl not liking it and it is hard to classify as Horror film too...

I agree that if Mum and Dad + Martyrs were eligible they should be up there - Mum and Dad is great. Its funny to see that disfunctional family done in a suburban UK setting..

I'd put the Last House remake over Paranormal Activity and Grace.

ChronoGrl
12-27-2009, 05:28 AM
I'd put the Last House remake over Paranormal Activity and Grace.

I thought that it didn't have enough peeing for you. ;)

Ferox13
12-28-2009, 02:04 PM
i thought that it didn't have enough peeing for you. ;)

lol..................

horrorchic
01-02-2010, 11:43 AM
I agree with the majority here. District 9 was a sci-fi with a very small hint of horror, though they are trying to use all the gore as "horror" in this effect; but it's not. We feel no pity for the humans that are being destroyed towards the end because they were built up to be awful.

BH14
01-02-2010, 01:59 PM
My favorite 2009 horror movie was the orphan and trick r treat coming in 2nd. Drag Me to Hell was good even though I am not into silly horror movies. I thought Zombieland was good but overrated. And Zombieland was more of a comedy/action movie than a horror movie. It didn't have any suspense and very little gore for a zombie movie. Weak plot but good actors though. Paranormal Activity was ok but I was definitely not spooked like those audience viewers. And I definitely wouldn't call District 9 a horror movie. I did enjoy that movie though. I want to see The House of the Devil when it comes on dvd or blu-ray.

kangas
01-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Orphan was OK, but not great. Drag me to Hell and Zombieland were the best horror flicks I saw last year.

Agree that District 9 has no right to be on a horror list--it's Sci-Fi for sure.

Pontypool was good but falls apart at the end. Some of the others I haven't seen yet. (thirst, house of the devil)