PDA

View Full Version : Dear aspiring Horror filmmakers - A serious question on DvDs vs Streaming

Bleedwalls
06-23-2009, 10:50 AM
I have a site in the works that will be tied to homemade horror movies and a film fest.

As things are coming together I have began to wonder about the future of horror movie formats. (I don't know if format is the right word but its the one that suits for the moment).

Do you think that DVDs in all its forms (regular, blu ray, etc) will become obsolete in the immediate near future? Say 3 to 7 years away? The scenario I see is everyone viewing movies online through their TV...
And while that is what is already happening, I wonder if its closer than I think it is.

Or do you think it will still be worth it to release movies on DVDs as opposed to a streaming medium in 3 years?

I've always leaned towards bleeding technology to the point where it can skew my vision.

Sometimes I forget that there are still people that are running on 56k. Also factoring in is the present state of the economy. People just may put technology on hold and stick with their DVDs a bit longer.

Any comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

neverending
06-23-2009, 10:57 AM
DVDS are here for a while. People like THINGS. They like to have something they can hold in their hands. You might have noticed books still exist. Why limit your options? Offer streaming films, but sell the DVDS too. Special editions are popular too, with plenty of extra content.

horrorchic
06-26-2009, 08:54 PM
I have to agree with Neverending. Dvds are here because they are tangible. People love the idea of being the "person with the most" or having more options. Streaming is great for the now, but Dvds are still common place. People want to buy something and collect something and be able to show it off.

It's kinda funny that dvd is ever-changing too. Now with Blu-ray, you have more options so despite how expensive it is; people are still buying more and more. Even now they have ways to convert your old VHS to DVD. Soon they will be able to write Blu-ray disks from normal DVDs too. Tangible will always be around because people are tactile creations. WE HAVE TO TOUCH THINGS.