PDA

View Full Version : Lets Break Down Our Favorite Songs

Arioch
04-03-2004, 03:47 AM
Ok this might sound like a gay idea at first, but hear me out. And everything else has already been discussing in this forum.

Why dont we use this thread to break down the songs we REALLY love, i mean your ALL-TIME FAVORITES. It'll be cool to look at these songs as musicians ourselves and figure out why they kick so much ass. We can also open other members up to new songs, etc. etc.

So give me some songs to download. Oh and if you could list the track times that certian parts that you like come in, it would make it much easier for everyone to follow along and know what your talking about.

Arioch
04-03-2004, 03:53 AM
Here ill go first to get the ball started.

One of my new favorite songs, and probably the hardest out of my top 10, is Opeth's "Delieverance".

What i REALLY like about this song is the DRUMS. they are fucking amazing. Id say hes ATLEAST on Dana Carey (isn't that his name?) from tool. Except this guy doesnt sound like hes over playing for the fuck of it. He makes it sound like every cymbal, every polyrythme is there for a reason, and because it enhances the song.

I dont have it on this comp, so i cant walk you to the cool parts, which you should be happy im sparing you because this song is FILLED with cool parts and is 13mins long!!!!:eek: :eek:

The only part i MUST tell you about is at 8:40 or so by the track clock. Thats probably the most complex and musically satisfying thing ive heard in a LONG TIME.

Alright any other faves we should all know about??

bloodrayne
04-03-2004, 07:27 AM
Opeth..."Harvest"

I really like this song, but there honestly isn't much to pick apart...It starts with the accoustic guitar...Then they simultaneously play the accoustic with electric, and it stays pretty even and steady throughout...A fluid, constant rhythm...Quite melodic...Awesome guitar...It only varies slightly between verses and chorus...Even the drums and cymbals stay pretty constant...

I'm usually more into the music than the lyrics or the actual singing...But, in this song...I LOVE the lyrics...This is a song about dying, and not realizing that you're gone...You look past the gates and see your funeral...The chorus is basically about that scene...and for those who commit suicide, the scene is faded because it wasn't time yet...

Into the orchard I walk peering way past the gate
Wilted scenes for us who couldn't wait
Drained by the coldest caress, stalking shadows ahead
Halo of death, all I see is departure
Mourner's lament but it's me who's the martyr

And the singer's voice is excellent...Haunting...The background vocals enhance that overall "feeling"...I love that, too

Wicked Lady
04-03-2004, 10:10 AM
OOOOHHH PLEAZE! if people picked their music apart.."the way you do" it would be less enjoyable, if you have to think about it you tend to ignore some parts. I think you need to enjoy your music as a whole...

Cerberus
04-03-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Wicked Lady
OOOOHHH PLEAZE! if people picked their music apart.."the way you do" it would be less enjoyable, if you have to think about it you tend to ignore some parts. I think you need to enjoy your music as a whole... The obvious difference between the musician and the fan;)

Cereal Killer
04-03-2004, 07:09 PM
"Atlanta" - Stone Temple Pilots

It's beautiful. I can relate to the lyrics, as I have my own Mexican Princess (even though I don't love her in that way at all). From the single guitar in the beginning to the tropical xylophone-type instrument at the end, it just makes me cry. Listen to it, now. From the album #4. It's emotional and deep and melodic and wonderful and great and terrific and kicks your ass.

Evisceration
04-03-2004, 08:04 PM
I have about a gazillion songs...but I'll mention 3.

Chimaira
Pictures In The Gold Room - 4:26
The first 3 seconds just make me want to go crazy. Especially hearing this song live, the guitars going, just...lovely. Then when the drums start in, the song is just heavy.

Then about 27 seconds in when Mark hits "Screams heard from a distance..." and the guitars all in sync.

Of course all of Chimairas drumming is magnificent, I think it's at its best in this song.

Andols=win (Even though he's not in the band anymore:mad: )

Then when Mark hits that last "extinction", love it, then it goes into the first verse again. lovely.

Opeth
Master's Apprentices - 10:32
I actually have about 20 favorite Opeth songs, but I've been listening to "Deliverance" a lot lately and this one of my favorite songs, next to "Deliverance" which Arioch mentioned already. (I like it for the same reasons also)

But the thing I like about 'Master's Apprentices' are the lyrics, guitar and drums.

"fading away
and leaving
long for sleep
closer now
lead the way into death"

Best set of lyrics in the song I think. The vocals are amazing as always. Especially on the chorus.

I love at about 5:15 when the song slows down. I love how Opeth always fucking does this. They do it well too. Then you expect the rest of the song to be all nice and acoustic...but no, Opeth must bash your fucking head in with it's amazing music.

"plunging into the deepest void
departed shell left drained behind"

Oh my fucking god...is there no mercy from how much Opeth kicks ass when it reaches 7:44?

There's no more to say on how much this song kicks your ass.

Meshuggah
Rational Gaze - 5:06
I believe this band is over looked all the time. I love their style. Always playing in 5/8 measure. They pull it off and kick ass at it.

This song is great. Skull crushing drumming, mind numbing guitars and lyrics to make you think about what you see around you.

Just by the lyrics at the begining you know this song is going to kick your ass all over the place.

"Squint your eyes to see clearly. Blur reality to make
it real."

Not to mention the song is catchy as a bitch.

Then at about 4:04, the song slows down...then starts up again.

Liek...sex.:cool:

EDIT
@Arioch, I agree with you on the 8:40 part, but I think where the song gets orgasmic is when you hit 9:39.

Arioch
04-04-2004, 10:14 PM
EDIT
@Arioch, I agree with you on the 8:40 part, but I think where the song gets orgasmic is when you hit 9:39.

Ya thats where the new guitar part is right? I thought it was about there, i just always rewind it to 8:40 or so in my car, so i can here the last of that slow part.

Its really the 9:30-End of the song that makes it for me, having gone back and listened to it much more now, i like all of the other parts, (the drumming is by far my favorite in this one), but that climax and the contrast between the parts is fucking amazing. It doesnt do ANYTHING like what you expect it to. Thats great song writting right there. And to me, the reason why grind/metal/splatter/whateverelse-core can never be that hardcore.

You can play as many beats per second as possible, its doesnt make you hardcore........or good.:rolleyes:

Loki
04-05-2004, 12:00 AM
Carnivore- "World War III and IV
- "God is Dead"
-"Male Supremacy"
Slayer-"Angel of Death"
-"Raining Blood"
-"Necrophobic'
Accept-"Balls to the Wall"
Danzig-"Mother"
-"Hunter"
Megadeth-"Hanger 18"
-"Tornado of Souls"
Venom-"Black Metal"
-"Manitou"
-"Rip Ride"
MotorHead-"Ace of Spades"
-"Road Crew"
-"Born to Raise Hell"
Misfits-(everything and anything ever written)

Arioch
04-14-2004, 01:51 AM
Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here"

I love the old sounding recording they use to start it, first of all. The guitar sound is great. I also LOVE how they start with the main riff, then come in with a solo that mimicks and responds to the main riff, thats great solo writting right there.

All of the lyrics are fucking amazing, but the lyric "We're just, two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year. Running over the same old ground, what have we found? The same old fears, wish you were here"

That gets me everytime. Songs that can stir up a certain emotion in you, whether your in that mood or not, whether you want to feel it or not, now THATS a great song right there.