PDA

View Full Version : What makes a horror movie a classic horror movie?

Leslie Daher
04-02-2004, 11:02 AM
Opinions...

what makes a movie a classic? what ingredients are needed? take your favorite horror pic...what makes it so unique to you? color, scenery, great characters???

Darth Bane
04-02-2004, 11:05 AM
What makes you wimper? I know. Do you?

Steve_Hutchison
04-02-2004, 12:07 PM
If there was a straight answer to that, I think there would be many more of em. I belive the only thing that persists in every classic is that they are ahead of their time. Then again, we all mis the 80's so much, I'm not even sure I want horror movies to be ahead of their time, especially when I see all this shitty CGI.

AmarylandPsycho
04-02-2004, 12:35 PM
I agree,
Classics are classic because they're pioneers in the horror genre. They've done what no movie to that point has done. I like hellraiser because its take on humanity as the true monsters. My buddy says Tits being chased by a monster makes a classic.

SFF
04-02-2004, 12:59 PM
I think anything that has a fresh and original concept makes for a classic horror film. For Example: In Evil Dead, we saw the men being terrorized by the possesed females. I like the fact that it wasn't the usual, steriotypical "Female being scared shitless" crock of shit. Only braindead morons use the same blueprint over and over to tell their story. Once again, it's about ORIGINALITY.

Thaide
04-02-2004, 01:04 PM
If a horror film can continually scare you if you watch it more than once or can withstand the test of time then it is a classic. If can scare people now as much as it did 10 or 20 years ago, then its a classic.

Vodstok
04-02-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by SFF
Once again, it's about ORIGINALITY.

I must agree with you completely on this one. It's that little extra something that makes something a classic. It's why Freddy Vs Jason was something people waited 15 + years to see, and now that it is oput, it isnt and never will be a classic. It's just limp "more of the same"

Classics are made by people with huge balls

SFF
04-02-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Vodstok
I must agree with you completely on this one. It's that little extra something that makes something a classic. It's why Freddy Vs Jason was something people waited 15 + years to see, and now that it is oput, it isnt and never will be a classic. It's just limp "more of the same"

Yeah, Freddy VS Jason is one of the many reasons I hate to watch new movies. I can honestly say that I have pretty much lost all of the respect I once had for Robert England. He no longer resides on ANY of the pedestals I once placed him on.

BudMan
04-02-2004, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Thaide
If a horror film can continually scare you if you watch it more than once or can withstand the test of time then it is a classic. If can scare people now as much as it did 10 or 20 years ago, then its a classic.

Right on. When's the last time a horror movie actually scared you?
Well there ya go.

Actually..that would make a good topic in itself.

Vodstok
04-02-2004, 01:22 PM
I was white-knuckled and in a cold swaety all the way through the new Dawn of the Dead.

Of course, i do have zombiephobia, but they still did a great job.

Steve_Hutchison
04-02-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Vodstok

I partially agree. Tehre has only been a couple of VS. in horror movies and not since a while. Without F VS. J, there would never be an A Vs. P and whatever's more to come. It could be a classic for that reason. Like I read just now in the thread, it takes balls do try something like that : mixing two classic characters and 2 very different feels.

McDonnyDude666
04-06-2004, 05:57 AM
A movie that is the first attempt of a movie genre or kind like that like TCM and Psycho and Night of the Living Dead they where some of the first slasher and zombie films of the times plus good directing and good acting.

xDarthxBanex
02-13-2007, 07:58 PM
What makes you wimper? I know. Do you?

By now......Obviously not.

can't get enough gore
02-14-2007, 12:56 PM
I agree,
Classics are classic because they're pioneers in the horror genre. They've done what no movie to that point has done. I like hellraiser because its take on humanity as the true monsters. My buddy says Tits being chased by a monster makes a classic.

i probably piss off alot of people cause i keep talking about TCM but that had made a big impact because how scary it was people vomiting,football teams losing cause they saw the film the day before etc. that pretty powerful