PDA

View Full Version : Oldboy & Lady Vengeance?

Staal
05-28-2009, 02:50 AM
I recently became familiar with some of the works of Chan-Wook Park recently. I ordered Three Extremes off amazon and really enjoyed dumplings.

A few guys from another forum recommended me to get a hold of Oldboy. So I did, and I recently had to purchase Lady Vengeance as well.

Any of you guys familiar with these movies? I know they're not classified as horror, but Oldboy scared me better than most horror movies.

So, what do you think? :)

And is Sympathy worth getting a hold of as well?

E: Why was this moved to Japanese horror? I'm quite sure he's Korean?

Elvis_Christ
05-28-2009, 03:02 AM
Why was this moved to Japanese horror? I'm quite sure he's Korean?

That's a good point. Guess it should really be titled Asian horror.

Oldboy was pretty cool. I've got Sympathy For Mr Vengeance but have yet to watch it. He's doing a horror film that being released pretty soon too.

neverending
05-28-2009, 03:15 AM
Yah this forum is pretty much for all Asian cinema. I love Oldboy, haven't seen the other.

Staal
05-28-2009, 03:39 AM
You ought to check out Lady Vengeance as well.

I think Oldboy, Lady Vengeance & Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance is refered to as Park's "Vengeance Trilogy".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0762073/
Is this the horror flick he's doing?

I also see on IMDB that he's about to remake Lady Vengeance. Not sure why really.

That's a good point. Guess it should really be titled Asian horror.

It's actually quite offensive to mix up nations. The Vietnamese kids I went to school with surely did not like to be refered to as Chinese. :P

Elvis_Christ
05-28-2009, 03:44 AM
It's actually quite offensive to mix up nations. The Vietnamese kids I went to school with surely did not like to be refered to as Chinese. :P

Yes it is. I was gonna make a joke about it but thought better of it for a change :)

Angra
05-28-2009, 04:50 AM
Yes it is. I was gonna make a joke about it but thought better of it for a change :)

Sucker.

That's not the HDC style, mr. softy.

Elvis_Christ
05-28-2009, 06:08 PM
Sucker.

That's not the HDC style, mr. softy.

Well I did kinda overdo the dumbass comments yesterday :)

ChronoGrl
05-30-2009, 12:10 PM
I recently became familiar with some of the works of Chan-Wook Park recently. I ordered Three Extremes off amazon and really enjoyed dumplings.

He actually did the second short film, "Cut," which I thought was phenomenal ("Dumplings" was good, and my favorite of the three was Miike's "The Box").

Glad that you enjoyed Oldboy. It's one of my favorite films of all time and (though Angra will disagree with me :p ) I absolutely believe that it is a horror film. I think that its intensely Gothic tragic themes bring the concept of human "horror" to a fantastic escalated climatic level in a way that I have not seen any other film do. I also think that he has a fantastic sense of humor and creates works of beauty out of pure tragedy.

I feel as though all fans of cinema (not just horror fans) should become familiar with The Vengeance Trilogy. All three movies have vivid characters and are examples of incredible, intelligent story-telling.

If you enjoyed Lady Vengeance and Oldboy, then you should definitely see Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. I have to warn you - It's not as "extreme" (in the sense of over-the-top heightened violence); it's more of a truly tragic character piece that creates a beautiful dichotomy between two truly tragic figures full of pathos. It definitely has a different tone than Lady and Oldboy; it's a bit slower, and it focuses more on the struggles of the character and less on exciting violent scenes.

That being said, Mr Vengeance was my favorite for a while, though the more I watch Oldboy the more I like it the most. It's hard to tell.

If you like the stylized filmmaking of Park and want to see something more whimsical and fanciful (non-horror - more light-hearted and charming), check out his I'm a Cyborg and that OK. It's not a perfect movie, but it's a fantastic, charming little love story.

neverending
05-30-2009, 10:21 PM
Oh, I like that one too!