PDA

View Full Version : Industrial Rock

William
03-31-2004, 06:57 AM
Is anyone here into industrial rock? It's my favorite genre, but I don't know many industrial rock bands. If anyone could help me out here, it'd be much appreciated.

I know of godhead, because they're one of my favorite bands (which you should check out if you haven't heard of them before-and don't judge them from the Queen of the Damned soundtrack, that song just sucked ass).

I also like NiN and Tool (which some may not consider industrial rock, but it's my favorite band, so eh...).

Other than those 3, I have no clue what else is out there.

Arioch
03-31-2004, 07:03 AM
Its NIN for me all the way. Far and away my favorite band. Stabbing Westward is kinda in that genre, a little more rock than industrial but plenty of both. It depends on how much industrial you want really.

There are bands like KMFDM, Pig, Skinny Puppy, Two, Twelve Round, Marilyn Manson (early manson, lets not kid ourselves here), and the like. But its all kinda relative. Im more into the rock/industrial feal than really layered synths and drum loops of HARDCORE industrial, via pig or skinny puppy, but hey thats just me.

BTW although i wouldnt really consider them industrial, im a big tool fan aswell. Eulogy OWNS!!!

William
03-31-2004, 07:11 AM
Thanks, I'll check some of those out. I've heard of Stabbing Westward before, I used to have a CD of theirs WAYYY long ago, but I can't remember a damn thing about how they sound. I'll check them out first :)

Yeah, Tool is awesome. I think Maynard is the best vocalist ever, but that's my opinion.

If you haven't heard it yet, you may want to check out this:

Deftones (Ft. Maynard from TOOL)-"Passenger" It's kickass.

Arioch
03-31-2004, 07:16 AM
Oh yeah, i remember that track. He totally outshines Chino (isnt that his name?:confused: ) on that track.

Its a shame that hes such an asshole to his fans because Maynard really is a great vocalist.

William
03-31-2004, 07:23 AM
Not sure. Maynard is an asshole to his fans? lol What happened? I want to hear about this

Arioch
03-31-2004, 07:33 AM
oh man, he is THE asshole to his fans. He even goes as far as to play shows with his back to the crowd the whole show. Ive heard multiple accounts of fans trying to talk to him backstage and he wont even speak to you. Hes very into the rockstar persona, its just bullshit to see him treat his fans that way, when they are the only reason he is there in the first place ya know?

Still a kickass singer tho lol.

William
03-31-2004, 07:46 AM
Damn...that just changed my views on wanting to see him in concert...It's someone like that that'd make the whole thing not worth seeing.

LilMissScareAll
05-09-2004, 08:45 PM
Godhead is great!! I don't think ANY of their songs suck. :p They're great guys, too...by far the nicest celebs I've ever met.

jay o2 waster
05-10-2004, 06:41 AM
fear factory

jay o2 waster
05-10-2004, 06:43 AM
fear factory, they actually are more industrial metal

Arioch
05-10-2004, 07:35 AM
fear factory, they actually are more industrial metal

Agreed.

skinnypuppyvi
05-12-2004, 09:56 AM
Godhead? really?
no disrespect to anyone who likes them havent made one good song.
if you want good industrial music listen to bands like: Skinny Puppy, Tweaker, Switchblade Symphony, 16 Volt, Velvet Acid Christ, Suicide Commando (If you like Hellraiser listen to this, lots of Hellraiser samples), Ministry, and also not industrial but close and great Butthole Surfers.

Depeche Mode, The Cure, and Muse other great music if you like industrial. Again, not industrial but amazing.

Arioch
05-12-2004, 05:20 PM
Depeche Mode, The Cure, and Muse other great music if you like industrial. Again, not industrial but amazing.

Agreed. All GREAT fucking bands....Depeche mode is a personal favorite tho...

skinnypuppyvi
05-12-2004, 09:50 PM
Skinny Puppy and Tweaker on tour spv.de

The CURE, Muse, mogwai and many more on tourhttp://www.spv.de http://www.thecure.com

Amalthea
05-13-2004, 03:53 AM
I loved to listen to Skinny Puppy, Ministry and Front 242 as I was a kid.
Now I prefer more dark ambient/industrial music from record companies like Brainwashed, but the artist names and songs is so difficult to remember!

skinnypuppyvi
05-14-2004, 05:56 AM
I went to check out brainwashed. The Dresden Dolls are on there, i never heard them before today they are really, just fucking amazing.

Thor
05-14-2004, 10:59 AM
How About God flesh I know they've hung it up they were great "Streetcleaner" awesome low end heavy, or if you're into more dancy stuff you might try the "Pure" Lp. it is also heavy but more dance oriented, there's Front Line Assembly, Pitch Shifter "Submit" is really the only thing I would consider listening to from them though. Minestry "The Land of Rape and Honey" or "The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste" Malhavoc "The Release" if you can find it it was available by Epidemic records outta Scarborough, Ontario. and involved many Chainsaw Massacre samples through out the record. I dig Skinny puppy but had drawn the line at "Rabies" do they have anything else that sounds similar? If any one has any imput it would be greatly appreciated, thanx

Thor
05-14-2004, 11:00 AM
How About Godflesh I know they've hung it up they were great "Streetcleaner" awesome low end heavy, or if you're into more dancy stuff you might try the "Pure" Lp. it is also heavy but more dance oriented, there's Front Line Assembly, Pitch Shifter "Submit" is really the only thing I would consider listening to from them though. Minestry "The Land of Rape and Honey" or "The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste" Malhavoc "The Release" if you can find it it was available by Epidemic records outta Scarborough, Ontario. and involved many Chainsaw Massacre samples through out the record. I dig Skinny puppy but had drawn the line at "Rabies" do they have anything else that sounds similar? If any one has any imput it would be greatly appreciated, thanx

LilMissScareAll
05-23-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by skinnypuppyvi
Godhead? really?
no disrespect to anyone who likes them havent made one good song.

That's YOUR opinion. Yes, most of the bands you mentioned are good, but Godhead is my favorite band...I love their music, and they care alot about their fans, which means alot to me. Most bands I like don't know or care that I exist, but Godhead actually took the time to meet me personally. I love those guys.

HappyCamper
06-20-2004, 11:10 PM
I'm a huge Ministry fan. I think I have all of their albums except for maybe two or three. I saw them live for the first time about a year ago, they absolutely kicked ass! I was a little disappointed with their newest album, but it's still decent.

skinnypuppyvi
06-21-2004, 05:52 AM
That's YOUR opinion. Yes, most of the bands you mentioned are good, but Godhead is my favorite band...I love their music, and they care alot about their fans, which means alot to me. Most bands I like don't know or care that I exist, but Godhead actually took the time to meet me personally. I love those guys.

Its not all about caring about fans, but actually making good music.
Shit I'm sure Michael Jackson cares about his fans but you dont see him making to much good music. Yeah okay "I will be there" was ehh. But my point is not to put down Godhead or your likes in music but to simply convey the point that You should not base your opinions on music because of how nice people are. I think that opinions should be formed after a great deal of listening to that music. Sure you may have been listening to Godhead for months probably years and you have formed your opinion about them. But you so blatantly say that you like them because they are nice. I am in no way saying that your opinion is wrong but at least dont base it on that.

I honestly do not believe that music is about the fans, it is about the art.

skinnypuppyvi
06-21-2004, 05:55 AM
Anyone Like the new Skinny Puppy CD. "The Greater Wrong Of the Right" Amazing.

Just saw them live with Tweaker. Wow What an amazing show. I am glad i was able to catch this amazing show if you have a chance go to it.

Thor
06-22-2004, 10:33 PM
Does it sound anything like the "Rabies" Lp. ???
if it does I'll definitely give it a chance.

juda666
06-24-2004, 04:50 AM
i like ministry
rammstein (fave)
kmfdm
front 242
laibach
die krupps
misery loves co

Vodstok
06-24-2004, 10:43 AM
Ministry had some good stuff.
Marilyn Manson, circa Antichrist Superstar rocked
ANy NIN. Any at all Trent is THE man.
Not industrial, but i have a soft spot for older Metallica.
I miss Helmut, they had some good shit
Tool is good, Schism is an incredible song.

Also not really industrial, but as far as techno goes, Prodigy is awesome.

Hate_Breeder
06-24-2004, 06:02 PM
Ministry is the fucking greatest! Sphinctour on DVD rocks my fuckin socks off. I have the Greatest Fits cd which is definetly bad ass, and my favorite song is probably Thieves or Filth Pig. Although their new song called NO W is all about how George Bush is an idiot,another favorite in my book

Arioch
06-24-2004, 07:41 PM
Trent IS the man....

Hey alex...james is going to see tweeker this weekend.... is skinny puppy opening for them? or other way around? if i had known they were playing together i might have paid the 35$ ticket price.....ugh...

skinnypuppyvi
06-25-2004, 01:14 AM
Yah! Trent is the Man.
Tweaker is Opening for Skinny Puppy.
Fucking one of the best shows I have yet to see.

And to answer the question about the new cd. Does it sound like rabies? NO. But it is an amazing album. If you liked OhGr youll like The Greater Wrong Of The Right.
NeuWorld and I'mmortal are just amazing songs, but the whole album is. so check it out.

juda666
06-25-2004, 05:37 AM
prodigy at glastonbury was one of the best gigs ever.....ive been too.....

Hate_Breeder
06-25-2004, 11:44 PM
oOOo Prodigy another very very good band in my books

Rein In Blood
07-03-2004, 06:22 PM
I like KMFDM, early Pitchshifter, Misery Loves CO., NIN, early God Lives Underwater, Ministry, Nailbomb, and Marilyn Manson.

skinnypuppyvi
07-06-2004, 01:09 AM
Damn I havent listened to God Lives Underwater in so long. There music puts me in to weird of a mood. I'm not really sure if they are industrial though. Are they? I guess they could be called that, somewhat.

graveambitions
07-12-2004, 02:16 PM
If you miscreants really listened to Industrial music you'd be listening to the likes of Throbbing Gristle, Caberet Voltaire, SPK, Einsturzende Neubauten, and Phychic TV. Go get edjumacated!

skinnypuppyvi
07-18-2004, 10:48 PM
Wow! The World really is full of ignorant fucks.
Not only do you insult people for not knowing of some bands that no one knows about, but you have extreme ignorance to say edjumacated. I would totally understand if you were trying to insult someone for there taste, but for not knowing. At least give someone advice of what some good bands are not be a dick and pretty much call them idiots for not knowing the bands that you know and like.

Arioch
07-20-2004, 03:30 AM
Wow! The World really is full of ignorant fucks.
Not only do you insult people for not knowing of some bands that no one knows about, but you have extreme ignorance to say edjumacated. I would totally understand if you were trying to insult someone for there taste, but for not knowing. At least give someone advice of what some good bands are not be a dick and pretty much call them idiots for not knowing the bands that you know and like.

Here Here!

Lucid Dreams
07-22-2004, 10:33 PM
theres a few bands that have some of the genre in their music....try some of the following::

Fear Facrory
Crossbreed
Mindless Self Indulgence
Prodigy
Throbbing Gristle
Switchblade Symphony
Circle of Dust
Epilepsy
Gwar
Machine Head
Napalm Death
Murder Inc
Neurosis
Stabbing Westward

....these r a buncha bands that i listen to...they're all good so try listeing 2 a few of them...some of them i'm sure u heard of, others i don't know...so..yaa, there ya go

graveambitions
07-25-2004, 11:45 AM
At least give someone advice of what some good bands are not be a dick and pretty much call them idiots for not knowing the bands that you know and like.
You mean REAL industrial? I direct you to my first post. Those would be something to cut your teeth on.

LilMissScareAll
08-07-2004, 06:54 AM
I honestly do not believe that music is about the fans, it is about the art.

I didn't say that it was all about caring about the fans. I loved Godhead before I knew anything about them(aside from their music, of course)...but then I met them and found that they were also great people. I'm not a complete idiot, so I know that it doesn't matter how nice a band is if you think their music sucks. But I've liked Godhead for years. And I personally don't like the idea of supporting someone who's always rude to their fans... there's just no excuse for being rude to people who are crazy about you, like I've heard some celebrities do...the least they can do is treat their fans decent if they have a chance to meet them... but I've been lucky. I've only met nice celebrities so far.

Egekrusher
08-07-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by graveambitions
If you miscreants really listened to Industrial music you'd be listening to the likes of Throbbing Gristle, Caberet Voltaire, SPK, Einsturzende Neubauten, and Phychic TV. Go get edjumacated!

Keep that British and German shit for yourself. I'll stick to my Industrial Metal, thanks.

skinnypuppyvi
08-12-2004, 01:20 AM
lilmissscareall
you last post totally agreeable. why should anyone support assholes? I apologize if you thought tha i was trying to insult you. but again my point is that music cannot be about the fans, it has to be first and foremost about the music. there are nothing but assholes in the music industry how do you think they make all there money? Unfortunately i am becoming one of the assholes. no im not saying i am a musician but close enough. you know what you like and you like it for the art, and you like godhead. i misunderstood and now i know that you like them for their music. my apologies.

i could talk your head off about this subject so i sayif you want to continue this conversation IM me (skinnypuppyvi) with AIM. if not we agree that most musicains are assholes. or we dont agree.

skinnypuppyvi
08-12-2004, 01:31 AM
You mean REAL industrial? I direct you to my first post. Those would be something to cut your teeth on.

nonono i did read your previous post and an informative one it was. but your acting as if you are go of industrial music because you know of a few bands that no ones ever heard of. i really dont think anyone is here to be insulted but to simply learn of other music that they have not been exposed to yet.

LilMissScareAll
08-12-2004, 07:01 AM
if not we agree that most musicains are assholes. or we dont agree.

I can't say whether I agree or disagree, because I've only met a few musicians and they were all nice to me... but I know there are rude ones out there. Just depends on the person. All I can say is if I met a musician that I was a big fan of and they turned out to be rude, I would be really disappointed and I wouldn't be too crazy about that person anymore...I'd still like their music but it would disappoint me and I probably wouldn't buy any of their other cd's or support them in any way, anymore. :p But that's just me.

VampiricClown
01-27-2006, 10:57 AM
I listen to some industrial:

Celldweller (New name for COD)
Circle Of Dust
Nine Inch Nails
Marilyn Manson
Razed In Black
Klank

And have a question. Circle Of Dust is labeled as a Christian/Gospel group depending on where you go. How can they possibly be Christian??? Listen to the lyrics. I mean, come on. "Easier To Hate Than Love"? How is that gospel???

noctuary
01-27-2006, 09:05 PM
I used to be majorly into industrial when I was younger. I went to the clubs and danced, threatened ravers, dressed like an extra from Mad Max, the whole nine yards. I wore a vinyl trenchcoat. That's so embarrassing to look back on. Anyway, here's some recommendations for you rivetheads:

Front Line Assembly (the best, still)
Swans
Young Gods
Numb
Cdatakill
VNV Nation (a little dancy, but still rivet)
Haloblack
Sister Machine Gun
CHEMLAB
Download
Mentallo and the Fixer
Funker Vogt
Razed in Black
Skinny Puppy (of course)

Oh, and by the way, VampiricClown... Circle of Dust is in fact a Christian band, something that most rivets hate them for.

VampiricClown
01-28-2006, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by noctuary

Oh, and by the way, VampiricClown... Circle of Dust is in fact a Christian band, something that most rivets hate them for.

? What about them is christian in the slightest? Has anyone even listened to what he says in his lyrics? "Yurasuka" is basically about how he murders his girlfriend. Someone needs to get the labeling straight. Not to mention the fact that after he changed his name to Celldweller, he uses profanity in several of his songs. And I'm not even going to go into it about the song "Frozen".

Wow. I'm actually complaining about something other than my love life.:eek:

noctuary
01-28-2006, 07:10 PM
Just for you, VampiricClown.

Klay Scott (of Circle of Dust) explains his religious feelings. (http://www.hmmagazine.com/exclusive/circle_of_dust200306/index.php?page=1)

VampiricClown
01-29-2006, 07:25 AM

It seems like you have or were following this at some point as-well. lol

tonemeister
02-07-2006, 02:03 AM
was sisters of mercy considered industrial? not sure but i loved them. prodigy, nin, marilyn manson. will have to check out some of these others that you guys mentioned.

noctuary
02-07-2006, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by tonemeister
was sisters of mercy considered industrial? not sure but i loved them. prodigy, nin, marilyn manson. will have to check out some of these others that you guys mentioned.
Sisters of Mercy were goth, not industrial. If you loved the Sisters, check out Fields of the Nephilim, The Mission, or Southern Death Cult. These are all goth bands that are fairly similar in sound to the Sisters of Mercy.

urgeok
02-07-2006, 11:02 AM
i liked how southern death cult became death cult, then simply The Cult.

i thought they'd eventually be called 'C'

novakru
02-07-2006, 03:58 PM
You guys might like to check out the early bands signed by TVT in the 80's.
I have a CD set from them called Black Box with most of the people they first signed.......it's worth listening to,and most of the songs still stand the test of time.

Carpe Noctem
02-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Wow.

I cannot believe that the bands Fear Factory, Marilyn Manson, Deftones, Napalm Death and Gwar were all mentioned in a thread about industrial rock bands. I wouldn't put any of those in an industrial metal thread.

Amazing.

So much educating to be done, I swear.

EDIT
I also saw someone put Machine Head on here...you may aswell add Metallica on here. Jesus.

tonemeister
02-07-2006, 09:59 PM
too many sub genres......it used to be just, rock, r&b, blues, jazz. it was a simpler time way back when. LOL

VampiricClown
02-08-2006, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Carpe Noctem
Wow.

I cannot believe that the bands Fear Factory, Marilyn Manson, Deftones, Napalm Death and Gwar were all mentioned in a thread about industrial rock bands. I wouldn't put any of those in an industrial metal thread.

Amazing.

EDIT
I also saw someone put Machine Head on here...you may aswell add Metallica on here. Jesus.

Look up Marilyn Manson. It's classified as Industrial. And just for the hell of it.....

Metallica:D

Carpe Noctem
02-08-2006, 09:06 AM
I don't know where you get industrial out of Alternative/Shock...but whatever.

The only Manson album that could even be considered industrial is "Mechanical Animals". But not even the whole album can be called that.

noctuary
02-08-2006, 12:07 PM
I really don't think Manson is industrial either. It's much more accurate to call him glam rock. The only ties Manson has to industrial music at all are the (infrequently used) distorted vocals and minimal keyboards. That's it. If you listen to something like Front Line Assembly, a true industrial band, you will see that Manson is far from it.

The Mothman
02-17-2006, 11:05 AM
I got really into Nine Inch Nails latley. thats industrial right?

urgeok
02-17-2006, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by The Mothman
I got really into Nine Inch Nails latley. thats industrial right?

its all just rock and roll ...

Dante'sInferno
02-17-2006, 12:32 PM
NIN is all u need and i hope hes nice to his fans in concert...that would suck ass if he wasnt.

Hellsing
02-17-2006, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Carpe Noctem
Wow.

Amazing.

EDIT

Well frist Naplam death were part of the hardcore movement,then after there "Scum" lp they became part of a newer movement called "Grindcore"(frist song is on crass lp).Gwar are a called art rock or theatre rock for the type of shows they put on,metal-punk fused you can say.Fear factory are influneced buy industrial music buy there sound ,no power cords here.Are they industrial?I say yes,due to the crossover that a few bands have done with a hard edge sound.

The Mothman
03-02-2006, 08:25 PM
i was so close to going to se nine inch nails this spring break, but fucking they play the night before i get out of school. Im seeing dropkick murphys instead!

noctuary
03-03-2006, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by The Mothman
i was so close to going to se nine inch nails this spring break, but fucking they play the night before i get out of school. Im seeing dropkick murphys instead!
Lucky you. The Dropkicks are better. Sorry... but I really, really dislike NIN.

The Mothman
03-03-2006, 07:32 PM
ya i can see them any time in boston