PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of the Dead

crimson_blood
03-23-2004, 03:16 PM
Has anyone seen the new Dawn of the Dead? I thought it was pretty good...not as good as the first, but it wasnt really like it much at all, so its hard to compare. The propane bottle exploding was ridiculusly overdone...and i dont know how they knew what boat was the guys...but other then that, i thought it was good.

Vodstok
03-23-2004, 05:12 PM
I actually think this one was better. Not as original, granted, but better made, better characters, better acting. Sorry.

Dont get me wrong, the original is one of the greatest classic movies of all time.

vampire queen
03-23-2004, 05:20 PM
The original is my all-time fav......or, at least was until I saw the new one!

Divest
03-24-2004, 07:23 AM
I thought it was well done, personally. I thought it was going to be cheesy and really, really boring, but luckily my $8 (price of a movie ticket out here) was well invested. I had only one gripe though, and that was about the whole "baby' thing. I thought that was a bit ridiculous.

EDIT: Shit, I just remembered something else too; they never explained why the zombies were walking the earth.

HomerSimpson
03-24-2004, 02:00 PM
I thought it was a pile of shit. Fucking boring as hell. Can't touch the original, except for the good zombie make-up. In my opinion, the bad points out-weighed the good points. Hated the horrible CGI propane explosion and shitty dialogue. Give me the original ANY day.

But it's a good thing that it made money though, the horror genre could use all the help it can. Hopefully, the success of the film will open doors and helps other horror and zombie movies get made.

KRUGERKID13
03-24-2004, 04:04 PM
Liked it quite a bit. Not as good as the original not even as gory which suprised me but all in all a good film.

Did not like the fast zombies

crazy clown
03-24-2004, 04:36 PM
i thought that it was a pretty good film. better than the last zombie movie tha came out (house of the dead).

Sam The Egg
03-24-2004, 04:40 PM
Hey, it's the new Freddy vs. Jason! 5 Dawn of the Dead threads per member of the board! Fun times!

crimson_blood
03-24-2004, 05:33 PM
yeah, i thought it was great...but yeah, the propane tank was dumb, the baby was dumb, and no, i didnt like the fast zombies, i mean, they are dead...i dont think ill be movin too quick when im dead, ha..

bwind22
03-24-2004, 10:54 PM
Dawn of the Dead (romero) has always been one of my favorite horror movies. It's right there with the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre for me, so going in to this movie I wasn't sure what to expect. I didn't wanna set my expectations too high and the be hugely let down.

I'm happy to say I wasn't. This movie was every bit as intense and as brutal as it should have been. The acting is great, the gore is almost stomach turning (even for a very avid horror fan), the only thing I had any beef with was the rapid moving zombies. They should have been slower, they're dead right? Romero's zombies were always slow and stiff in their movement. Oh, well. The quicker zombies did add a few startling moments.

All in all, great movie. Highly recommended! Two thumbs up.

Killer Clown#1
03-25-2004, 03:34 AM
It was dramaticly neccesary for them to be fast. But I also think it's because most of the zombies were freshly bittin. That little girl I don't think ran

Macabre_Maiden
03-26-2004, 09:14 AM
Unforunately, I have yet to see the original... The new one, however, I saw last night. I'm always up for a good zombie picture and I wasn't disappointed. I liked the way the director shot a lot of the scences- really interesting camera work. And seeing surburbia destoryed in the beginning was very cool indeed.

The music was good, too. The Johnny Cash song at the beginning was totally out-of-place which made it perfect. Oh, I loved the slow version of Down With the Sickness that played when the survivors were having fun/amusing themselves. That was great!

During the end credits though, I didn't like how they continued the story. It seemed tacked on and unnnecessary.

Bay Area $avage
03-26-2004, 10:42 AM
I thought it was shit. It had lots of potential, but very, very quickly went downhill. I found too many things wrong with it to like it. Great zombie make-up though, some decent FX but I'll stick with the original.

Evisceration
03-26-2004, 07:55 PM
Haven't seen it due to busy lifestyle. For my next english paper we have to see a movie and do a review. I'm going to compare the new and original one for the paper.

I can't wait to see it, Maddox approved of it, so it must kick ass.

Jason Hodder
03-27-2004, 03:56 PM
i was actually hoping that it would suck badly since I loved to original. Happily I was wrong. I didn't have any idea that James Gunn, of Troma fame, wrote it till I read the article in Fangoria. That got me a little hyped since I love Gunns work in Tromeo & Julliet, and yes I even liked the first Scooby-Doo.

I didn't think I would like the fact that the zombies could run but that made the movie intense, plus how do we know if the living dead can run...no one has ever comes back to life for us to know this. We have to suspend disbelief.

I thought that this was one of the best horror movies I have seen with in the past few years. I thought this one could certainly stand on its own since the only thing the two movies had in common were, they both took place at a mall.

Speaking of the mall, the only thing I didn't like was how fast they made it to the mall. I liked the fact in the original that they took their time getting there.

I too, liked the way Down with the Sickness was used. Very funny. In fact I liked the shot of comedy every now and then. When they are on the elevator and CJ says "I like this song" after a really intense scene, it released some tension. Very well done.

I also liked the ending. I'm not going to give it away to those that didn't see it but I will say I loved the non-hollywood ending. I sat in the theater saying out loud, "please not a hollywood ending" & my wish came true.

A very well done movie from begining to end. On a scale of 1 to 5 I would give this movie a 4.

pre-codekeith
03-27-2004, 04:21 PM
As far as remakes go I have to give this a thumbs-up. IMO, most remakes don't match up, like the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The only thing they massacred in that movie was the reputation of an outstanding original. This time ... whew! Great job all around!
Sure, you wanna nit pick about the friggin propane... go right ahead, the rest of the tale certainly made up for that momentary lapse in reasoning. I thought the baby sub-plot really was suspensefull, I mean if that kid came out alive and hence with some type of genetic tolerance to "the bite" you nay-sayers would all be giving standing ovations and jabbering about "innovative plots." SPOILER- However, the kid comes out a ghoul, gets shot, etc... so there's no hope, no attachments, whatever... isn't that the underlying 'theme' (if there is one- whatever happened to just having a good friggin time at a movie??!!)
Hell, I can appreciate that I have no idea how they found the right boat, or that they need only walk over a little hill to get to the mall gripes, but all in all ...... DARE I SAY IT? ..... this was BETTER than the original!!! Oh, who am I kidding, ROTLD is still the most fun zombie flick of all time!!! Still, it beats the tar outta "Gigli"......

Jason Hodder
03-27-2004, 05:21 PM
I don't know if I liked it more then the original but I did love the movie. One of my buds liked it more then the original & he loved the original.

Another thing i found unteresting was that for the most part, the reviews were great. Entertainment Weekly gave it an A and they teand to grade very hard on movies. I know reviewers don't matter but when it gets the fans going & the reviewers going, it's got to have something to it.

Sick_As_Fuck
03-29-2004, 08:30 PM
Loved it. Can't wait for "Day".

ironic21
04-02-2004, 10:38 AM
See the original, 'nuff said!!!

Seriously though, if you have seen the original, put it out of your mind when you go in to see it, because this movie isn't so much of a remake as a revamp. It's alright in it's own right, but it's nothing compared to Romeros version. Zombies DO NOT run!!! They are dead. Stick to Romero and you can't go far wrong.

Gore fest gerb
04-12-2004, 12:49 PM
Just watched it last nite and loved it but I am not classing it as a remake it was just another zombie flick to me he just used the same name so to me it was the 4th one of the lot. I loved the chainsaw part realy nastie. Give 7 out of 10

Azrael666
04-12-2004, 01:15 PM
I'd have to say this version is average at best. In the original you get to know the characters. In this one they keep introducing new ones before they bother to flesh out the characters they already have. I just didn't care about any of them.

And what's the deal with having to be bitten to come back as a zombie? If you die any other way, you stay dead. So how did it start, then?

I did like the rooftop relationship they had with the guy in the gun shop though. That was an interesting touch.

Not really a bad movie, just not all that good.

kpropain
05-12-2004, 07:16 AM
I went in to this movie expecting to be disappointed, but must say I was impressed after it was over. While not as good as the original, it is one of the best horror films to come out in a long time.

Leper Messiah
05-12-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by pre-codekeith
As far as remakes go I have to give this a thumbs-up. IMO, most remakes don't match up, like the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The only thing they massacred in that movie was the reputation of an outstanding original. This time ... whew! Great job all around!

I agree. I liked the original better, but not by much.

This movie shouldn't even really have been a remake. It should have been an original movie because it was nothing like the original. 9/10

Steelsymth
06-07-2004, 12:16 AM
I saw this weekend at the $1.00 show and I really liked it but I didn't like the end that much. The propane trip was kind of dumb but over all 2 thumbs up

_Leatha_Face_
06-08-2004, 10:49 AM
i enjoyed since the recent zombie flicks have been pure shit, plz dont get me started on 28 days later

massacre man
06-13-2004, 02:03 PM
i know i hated 28 days later so much i just wanted to pick that movie up by its throat and just choke it

Vodstok
06-14-2004, 03:44 AM
I happen to love Dawn and 28 Days later. I still dont understand why so many people say that movie sucked. I jhavent heard any reasons other than they didnt like it.... That isnt a reason.

I'm not saying that you CANT hate it, i am just curious why.

MrShape
06-24-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Vodstok
I happen to love Dawn and 28 Days later. I still dont understand why so many people say that movie sucked. I jhavent heard any reasons other than they didnt like it.... That isnt a reason.

I'm not saying that you CANT hate it, i am just curious why. I just found 28 Day later boring. Well made but . . . ya know . . . zzzzzzzzz?

MrShape
06-24-2004, 01:45 PM
Hey, Azreal, where'd you get that avatar? I like it.