PDA

View Full Version : wes craven and horror

naomi1
01-06-2009, 03:23 AM
i am doing a film studies research project about how wes craven may have influenced the horror genre, making it how modern horror is today. does any of you get hooked on wes cravens horrors... or are they just like the same old ones u seen. would you agree he has changed the horror genre slightly for instance doing films like a nightmare on elm street and scream. Do you generally like the films wes craven directs snd is he an important film maker to you, for instance directing a lot of the films u watch. A bit varied i know but anything on this topic and you input on it would be great.
naomi :)

kpropain
01-06-2009, 04:20 AM
This thread might be helpful...

http://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25952

scissorhands
01-15-2009, 01:55 AM
I've stated previously on the boards that I became fascinated with horror after watching Scream.

Whatever you think of his work or his attempts to disown horror over the years he's one of the most interesting thinkers in the genre- he's displayed some great ideas both in scripts and interviews.

Doc Faustus
01-20-2009, 11:16 AM
He is, but he's an underachiever. Last House on the Left shows a hermeneutic genius not nearly seen in Scream. The idea of taking the Virgin Spring and making it into one of the most vicious grindhouse films is brilliant. The idea of making a slasher comedy that is barely funny or violent is not. You want to see an intriguing meditation on the genre? See Opera. Want to see a watered down popcorn dead teenager movie with bad acting see Scream. He could have been a contender, instead of a bum which is what he is. Red Eye is a joke. Someone's trying to kill the secretary of Homeland Security? As I've said before Cillian Murphy trying to stop us from getting cameras in public restrooms for Republicans to masturbate to is not horror.

Monster76
01-20-2009, 04:01 PM
no matter what you think of the man, Wes Craven has changed the face of horror multiple times. In doing so, he has moved the genre in different directions (not always in good good directions) and hollywood and other filmmakers have followed.

Doc Faustus
01-21-2009, 05:21 PM
I don't deny his influence, I just believe that he hasn't lived up to his potential.

tachii
01-28-2009, 09:33 AM
which would you consider to be the high points of his career?
/

tangledforest
01-31-2009, 06:57 PM
I have liked a few of his older original movies quite a bit. I think now his movies are completely lacking and are disappointing. He just recently filmed the movie 25/8 in my hometown in Connecticut. Hopefully this one turns out to be a little better.

tachii
02-02-2009, 02:53 PM
some of the non horror stuff he has done since isn't bad i just wish he had stuck to his roots :(