PDA

View Full Version : The Last Man On Earth

Robert Neville
02-19-2004, 10:01 AM
I'm sure most of you, since you're on a horror board, know this classic Vincent Price movie. For those who don't, it's based on the most excellant book "I Am Legend" by the wonderful Richard Matheson. A tale of lonliness, heartbreak, inner demons, and, get this, vampires. The novel, written in 1954, is a commentary on the "We're going to end up destroying the world" idea that was prevelant in the US circa the 50's. Matheson has stated the movie did stray a bit from his novel, but it's way closer to home than the piece of shit called "Omega Man". 'Last Man on Earth" is now available on DVD in widescreen as a double feature with "House on Haunted Hill". Now how can you miss with that?

horror_master
12-07-2004, 08:27 AM
I watched that yesterday it was a great movie.

phantomstranger
12-07-2004, 01:02 PM
I love this movie. One of Price's best roles. Kind of reminds me of "Night Of The Living Dead" a bit. But is still a great movie. Very spooky.

jay o2 waster
12-07-2004, 06:33 PM
absolute classic, i can't seem to get enough of it

FilthyCannibal
12-10-2004, 12:58 PM
agreed

yourlastmistake
12-17-2004, 07:22 PM
When I first saw this movie it took me a while before I realized the people were actually turning into Vampires and not Zombies.
First,the people were coming down with a mysterious illness and dying. Then they would rise from the dead and wander around in a lethargic state. Not to mention they were very weak. I don't recall them ever trying to bite anyone either.
With that said, I still recommend it to any fan of classic horror. I own a copy it myself on DVD.

zwoti
12-20-2004, 03:45 AM
good film....shame my dvd version isn't widescreen :mad:

urgeok
12-20-2004, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by zwoti
good film....shame my dvd version isn't widescreen :mad:

most arent as far as i know.

the reason people are getting to know this film now is because of all of the public domain cheapo DVD horror boxsets coming out now.

I think its great though .. despite the fact that no care goes into putting these on DVD (no restoration, etc) they still give us some good exposure to older classics that were hard to find before.

Gojira
01-13-2005, 10:04 PM
Growing up in the 60s and 70s I saw the Omega Man but being a fan of Vincent Price I must confess I have never seen The Last Man on Earth.

Tat2
01-15-2005, 08:11 PM
Fantasic VP movie. Glad to hear that it is available on DVD. I'll be picking this one up, without a doubt.

ClassicHorror
01-22-2005, 05:18 AM
I think its the Night of The Living Dead of vampire films. Good move.