PDA

View Full Version : A Question For All of You

Haunted
02-16-2004, 08:10 AM
I was talking to my dad, recently, and the subject of horror movies came up. Now, he is really put out by my joy in a good scary movie. So, he put a question to me: What kind of people make horror movies?" Now, I know that it's a question asked by conservative types that don't understand the finer things in life. So I ask you, what kind of people make horror films? How would you describe someone like Romero, Craven, Carpenter, and so on?

sleepaway
02-16-2004, 08:21 AM
Intelligent, inventive and Entertainer.

Vodstok
02-16-2004, 08:28 AM
Creative and cynical. I have found that many good horror authors/screenwriters have a very cynical strak about society and so on. All of romero's films were basically about conformity and government control, if you dig deep enough.

in other cases, i'm sure it is just venting of frustration.

Lastly, some people just want to make you jump and spill your popcorn :)

BudMan
02-16-2004, 08:29 AM
Rich.

Visionarys, especially the three you mentioned. I think they were all pioneers in the horror genre.

sleepaway
02-16-2004, 08:31 AM
Check out the commentary on Cabin Fever. Eli Roth's parents explain it brilliantly. People who make horror movies tend to be simply the nice guys and horror is just a way to vent all the anger they don't express in real life. And for a lot of people they just fall into the horror movie business because it's cheap to make a horror movie!

PsychoticPanda
02-16-2004, 12:45 PM
Eccentric, creative.

Sam The Egg
02-16-2004, 04:43 PM
Pretty okay, from what I hear from them on commentaries

otis
02-16-2004, 06:10 PM
I like what you said about cabin fever. That movie is one of the best horror movies that has came out since the 70/80's.

Rotting Eye
02-16-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by otis
I like what you said about cabin fever. That movie is one of the best horror movies that has came out since the 70/80's.

CABIN FEVER?!!? That movie was terrible.. but ok..

otis
02-16-2004, 06:21 PM
What was wrong with it???!!!

I thought that movie, all together, was brilliant. The acting, sound effects, score....

Rotting Eye
02-16-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by otis
What was wrong with it???!!!

I thought that movie, all together, was brilliant. The acting, sound effects, score....

Everything, it should never have been made.

Sam The Egg
02-16-2004, 06:30 PM
if Shawn from Boy Meets World dies in it, it's alright with me

otis
02-16-2004, 06:40 PM
Boy meets world was shitty, but Tapanga(I think that is how you spell it) is fucking hot. I am into those pointless gore movies, maybe you're not. You probably like Jeepers Creepers. I hate that movie. But whatever tickles your taco.

GorePhobia
02-16-2004, 06:42 PM
holy hell ur sig is long sam

Sam The Egg
02-16-2004, 06:49 PM
Long, but hilarious. Just like my penis, minus the hilarious part.

otis
02-16-2004, 06:57 PM
Wow, that was one of those thread closing statements. How am i supposed to respond to that one?

cheebacheeba
02-17-2004, 02:45 AM
I'm not gonna bring their intellect into it, because
a: People shouldn't be judged on intellect alone
b: In all honesty, I myself WATCH THE MOVIES, aaand that's about it.
How I would describe them....
Entertainers, Storytellers, rollercoaster equivalents, the scratch to the itch of those who like to delve into darkness.....
I'm all out.
And haunted, slap yo' daddy for me...

sleepaway
02-17-2004, 03:39 AM
Cabin Fever seems one of those love it or hate it movies. Each to their own. I was surprised to hear so many people don't like it though.

Boy Meets World actually got kinda funny near the end. I am sure you are all pleased to know it's coming to DVD soon!!! :D

DarkwingMantis
02-17-2004, 07:06 AM
I feel that they are story tellers just the same as any other movie maker. They just decide to tell their story in a different field than say Ron Howard or Sophia Coppola. its just a shame that for the most part Horror movies have been skipped over by the awards ppl.

Say, thats another good thread. I think Ill start it

Dr.Kelvinstein
02-17-2004, 11:44 AM
Most serious horror filmmakers are anti-establishment, especially Romero, Carpenter, and very early Craven (Last House, Hills). Making a horror film is a great way to scream "Fuck you" to all the square johns of the world.

avenged_soul
02-17-2004, 04:10 PM
horror writters are the kind of ppl who your rents warned you aboot. they were the little kids who used magnifying glasses to burn the ants feelers off, hehe im one of em! not really i just wish i were that brilliant, i write small storys eryone i kno says i should send them into king so he can d wateva w/ them, but i dont kno!? mabye i will, and mabye i'll leav e em for my kids to have.

Ritualistic
02-17-2004, 05:23 PM
People that make horror are just fans of the genre ... like all of us.. Well Umberto Lenzi hated horror movies.. Ha ha .. Just "normal' people I say...

Leslie Daher
02-19-2004, 10:01 AM
visionaries, yes! unique, different, may be even haunted or disturbed, challenging, and thoughtful.