PDA

View Full Version : Best Game System

Demon Seed
02-14-2004, 06:39 AM
The Nintendo Gamecube is my favorite. I hate the Playstation controllers, and the way it takes so long for everything to load

Arioch
02-14-2004, 02:27 PM
I would agree with you on the loadtime. I havent really been playing many games these days as i dont have free time quite like i used to.

But i imagine this game system war, as all the past ones, will be one with games. Its gonna be about who can get the better game companies, sony or nintendo. But honestly i think Xbox isn't even a contender for much longer, and talk about horrible controllers.

Sam The Egg
02-14-2004, 03:59 PM
Super Nintendo. It had the benefit of graphics better than big squares, but they didn't rely much on "ADD MORE GRAPHICS!!!" Syndrome, and just went with gameplay. Not to say all the SNES games were good and all the new 3D games are just graphics fests, just that a lot of the time they tend to rely too much on graphics. I don't need a 30 minute cut scene between levels.

kpropain
02-15-2004, 02:55 AM
I have to agree with Sam on the graphics thing, but as far as new systems go I have to say PS2 best all around system with the best games, and I happen to like the feel of the controllers myself. Like Arioch said talk about crappy controllers man the x-box controllers suck. But that's all just my opinion.

bloodrayne
02-15-2004, 12:39 PM
I'd have to say that the Game Cube Is probably the best system so far...The controller configuration is better than any others I have played...The available games for the system are some of the best, too...BloodRayne, BloodRayne Extreme, Eternal Darkness, Gaunlet Dark Legacy, Legacy Of Kain, Blood Omen II, Bloody Roar, and all of the Resident Evil and Zelda games, just to name a few...Plus, no waiting to download between levels and scenes:)

I do however, wish that they had the Silent Hill, Nightmare Creatures, Shadowman and Alone In The Dark games for the Game Cube System...That way we wouldn't have to deal with Playstation at all

Cult_King
02-25-2004, 02:10 PM
I got me a ps2 and x-box. I like ps2 for games like MGS:SOL but x-box just pwns with halo and project gotham racing. They fixed the controler problem, and for all you people complaining about controllers and hav gamecubes well gamecube has the worst fucking controller I've ever seen and I can never get used to it, but x-box has a nice and simple controller and it's not too big like some dumbasses will say, unless your hands are like 2 inches wide.

Killer Clown#1
02-25-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by bloodrayne
available games for the system are some of the best, too...BloodRayne, BloodRayne Extreme, Eternal Darkness, Gaunlet Dark Legacy, I love Gauntlet but I have to disagree on your system of choice. Xbox is my favorite, oh and Arioch they have smaller controllers now:)

Cult_King
02-25-2004, 05:21 PM
I love how small the change was and how much better it made the controller ( they just moved the white and black buttons under the four letter buttons instead of on top)

spoon
02-27-2004, 06:15 PM
ps2. i'm ready to sell my xbox. sux.

Cult_King
02-27-2004, 07:41 PM
Then you my friend are an IDIOT! Oh and a media whore since your just doing this to be like all the cool kids who think Microsoft sucks and Bill Gates is evil.

cheebacheeba
03-01-2004, 05:01 PM
Really depends on the whole timeframe we're talking about.
A gamecube isn't really a fair comparison to an nes, huh?
ok...so, I'm just gonna mention my favourites, past and present, and say why for each.

Nes - sheer amount of games this system pounded out in it's years made it suit almost anyone.
Favourite games - legend of zelda, mario 3.

Sega master system - not as many games, but most of them were excellent quality.
Favourite games - wonderboy in monsterland, psycho fox, aztec adventure, cyborg hunter, action fighter, phantasy star series

Sega Genesis (megadrive) - I think it gets my vote over the snes due to the more "grown up" feel of the majority of the games.
Favourite games - Streets of Rage 3, Flashback, zombies (same as snes zombies ate my neighbours), Revenge of Shinobi, beyond oasis, x-men 2, earthworm jim.

Sega Game gear - It came out before the gameboy, had way better graphics, and was in colour years and years before the gameboy colour came out. The games were sega, which I love...
Favourite game - Land of illusion, shinobi.

Gameboy/colour - definately deserves a mention - even though graphically basic, it was handy, a little more protable than a gamegear or lynx, and had a lot of great games.
Favourite games - Donkey kong (gameboy version rocked) mario land 2 : 6 golden coins, avenging spirit, bomberman quest.

Sony playstation 1 - Although ps2 has continued this systems legacy quiet well, the ps1 threw games in your face unlike anything that had come before it. It set the standard for other systems. Great variety of games also.
Favourite games - nightmare creatures 1 & 2, crash team racing, driver, MK trilogy, clock tower, overboard.

Gameboy advance SP - it looks great, it's very portable, you can actually see the screen, and it's bought back alotta oldskool 16bit games along with an increasingly impressive array of it's own games.
Favourite games - car battler joe, the hobbit, fortress, medal of honour : infiltrator

Out of the current top 2, I have to say I prefer ps2. Not because I hate microsoft.....mainly because of 2 things -

1: The ps2 simply has many, many more games, and is backwards compatible with ps1, there's even more games for ya.

2: The majority of the games that are on xbox are either already on ps2 and/or pc, and even most of the supposedly "xbox exclusive" games have ended up coming out on pc, in superior form.

And I also gotta mention that I had an xbox, and got rid of it upon realisation of the abovementioned issues. That, and I hated the xbox's chunky-ass'd bitch of a controller...

AAAAND I'M DONE.

swiftdeath
03-01-2004, 05:14 PM
Well, I tried to play an Xbox, but the stupid controller on that thing has so many buttons. The Game Cube and the PS2 solve the button problem and are both pretty easy to use. The graphics on both are really nice. My best vote, is a tie between the Game Cube and the PS2, although the PS2 has more of the RP games I play.

Killer Clown#1
03-01-2004, 05:15 PM
Having played Spawn on the game cube I can honestly say the graphics for the game are 75 percent better on Xbox, a big diffirence.

cheebacheeba
03-01-2004, 05:28 PM
killerclown, graphics aint shit to me - I still regularly indulge in emulated 8-16bit games...why>? Because they rock.
I doubt xbox looks quiet 75% better than ANY system out....thats a little too high a figure, I have compared the xbox and ps2 in terms of graphics, and true, the xbox won, but only by about 5% - considering the ps2 came out what, 3-4 years before the 'box, that aint too great.
I don't despise xbox, I just feel as though it doesn't have enough good points about it, I'll wait for the pc versions for MOST of their games, pc is the only thing that really looks vastly better than any console.

bloodrayne
03-02-2004, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by cheebacheeba
Favourite games - legend of zelda, mario 3.
Cheeba...If you like Zelda...You have to have a Gamecube to play Windwaker...Did you like Majora's Mask, btw?

Killer Clown#1
03-02-2004, 03:28 AM
killerclown, graphics aint shit to me - I still regularly indulge in emulated 8-16bit games...why>? Because they rock.
I doubt xbox looks quiet 75% better than ANY system out....thats a little too high a figure, I have compared the xbox and ps2 in terms of graphics, and true, the xbox won, but only by about 5% - considering the ps2 came out what, 3-4 years before the 'box, that aint too great.
I don't despise xbox, I just feel as though it doesn't have enough good points about it, I'll wait for the pc versions for MOST of their games, pc is the only thing that really looks vastly better than any console. It wasn't an actual figure I know, I was just trying to emphasize how big the diffirence was. I like playing games on pc also but my computer isn't anything special so the only game I enjoy playing on my pc is Aliens vs Predator.

cheebacheeba
03-03-2004, 06:33 AM
No, I never played it (for 32-bit, I was a ps1 boy), but reviews seemed to like it, and the pics I've seen look alright too.
I did play through "ocarina of time" at a friends place, that was cool. Thought it kinda woulda been cooler if they kept him grown up in the next one tho...guess the franchise'll never let the guy grow up.
My favourite zelda games I've previously played thru are
*Legend of zelda (nes)
*A link to the past (snes)
*Ocarina of time (n64)

I've recently STARTED playing the gameboy colour versions of zelda (ages & seasons), and so far, theyre pretty playable.

Worst zelda ever - zelda 2 on nes...just hated it, I remember thinking that this sucked bigtime, on account of liking the first one so much...anyone notice that game was also almost exactly like rambo 3 on nes?

Mine was new in feb, true, that's obviously the main reason I would say it looked just a lil better than the consoles...heh-heh
man, I don't hate the xbox or anything, it's good enough games (most shared by ps2 yeah, and "most" of the others being on pc...I've played enough of 'em), and you're right, it does have a slight edge graphics, and I'm guessing - loading timewise?
I just really dig the ps2, as I loved so many ps1 games too.
That AND when I bought both xbox and ps2 at the same time about a year back, I was so used the the ps1
control that when I felt the size of the xbox control, I just thought FUCK THIS SHIT, and took it back.

Vodstok
03-03-2004, 12:06 PM
The best gaming system is a powerful PC. Nothing better.

Killer Clown#1
03-03-2004, 12:20 PM
Ocarina of time should make it's way into the hall of fame, an outstanding game.:)

cheebacheeba
03-06-2004, 05:10 AM
vodstock - at this point in time, I agree.

clown - I almost agree with you on that one, the game TOTALLY changed the look, style of game, and play/combat system, yet still managed to "feel" like a zelda game. I liked it a lot.
Hall of fame...? dunno about that. It WAS good though.

Back to the gba for a sec, I've already mentioned this as a good point, but thought about it some more....and it's a good point for more than one reason. The oldskool games thing....not only is this cool to be able to play some of the stuff I spent my early teens playing, but I think it's awesome that y'know, the kids of today get to play 'em too....the 16-bit and 80's-90's arcade era was IMO the best.
The system has some excellent old games like double dragon, mario world, final fight, earthworm jim and blackthorne (still waiting for flashback....)and breath of fire 1 & 2, and I'm actually quiet impressed also with the amount of (WORTH PLAYING) new titles out there, such as: Golden sun 1 & 2, Advance wars, the new castlevania titles, sonic advance 1 & 2...and many more.
Very good system.
For those that can afford one, I'd reccomend it. For those that cant, I'd reccomend talking to your local pirate, to see if he can get you an emulator and collection of the first 1300 gba titles on cd, like I did...true, there was only 368 games left after I eliminated the duplicates and non-english titles, but still well worth the $10 AUD I paid for it....you guys can pm me if you can't find anyone else to do it for ya, I guess....

btw - what the fuck is a wonderswan?]

also, anybody ever play an atari jaguar? they were GOING TO come out here a few years back, I thought they looked great, but they never started selling 'em....what was this cool-ass looking system like?

William
03-11-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Sam The Egg
Super Nintendo. It had the benefit of graphics better than big squares, but they didn't rely much on "ADD MORE GRAPHICS!!!" Syndrome, and just went with gameplay. Not to say all the SNES games were good and all the new 3D games are just graphics fests, just that a lot of the time they tend to rely too much on graphics. I don't need a 30 minute cut scene between levels.

I have to agree here. Hands down, the Super Nintendo is the best video game system there is. It had the best selection of games, in my opinion and rather than relying on graphics, it relied on gameplay like Sam said. Most of the games today are derived from the old school games anyway.

Also, if you're an RPG fan like me, the SNES is your system.

Vodstok
03-11-2004, 11:21 AM
PC :P

cheebacheeba
03-11-2004, 11:41 AM
In it's day, SNES did have the lead in terms of rpg's...
However, each of the two competing systems at that time (SNES & Sega Genesis) had nowhere near as many rpgs as their respective predecessors, especially the n.e.s.
Pc's definately got the most nowdays, yeah.

William
03-11-2004, 12:04 PM
Yeah, but I also mean as in the quality of the RPGs themselves. Classics like, Final Fantasy IV and VI, Breath of Fire 1-2, Lufia 1-2, Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Earthbound, Tales of Phantasia, Illusion of Gaia, Secret of Mana...just so many.

NES did have a few good RPGs, mainly Zelda 1-2 and Final Fantasy 1 though.

cheebacheeba
03-11-2004, 12:11 PM
I know, but it all DID start before those...
What about Dragon warrior (and sequels)? The original earthbound was also on n.e.s, as I think it was just as good. The original zelda was BETTER for it's time, part 3 on SNES more or less copied and improved it, admittedly, I think the storyline on the third one was a little better, but the first one had the most impact with me.
I think we most likely agree that nintendo overall always had the pre-32bit edge in rpgs.

William
03-11-2004, 12:19 PM
I know, but it all DID start before those...
What about Dragon warrior (and sequels)? The original earthbound was also on n.e.s, as I think it was just as good. The original zelda was BETTER for it's time, part 3 on SNES more or less copied and improved it, admittedly, I think the storyline on the third one was a little better, but the first one had the most impact with me.
I think we most likely agree that nintendo overall always had the pre-32bit edge in rpgs.

Yeah I have to agree with you there. Sorry, I did forget about the Dragon Warrior series as well. Excellent games, I think DW1 was the first console RPG in fact...I THINK. Oh and Earthbound for NES, I think it was called Earthbound Zero. Was a decent game. Castlevania 2 was alright too, if you still consider it a RPG. Startropics, wasnt really an RPG, but I like to consider it an "adventure RPG", that was also a great game. Damn memories, now I need my NES. :(

Vodstok
03-11-2004, 06:18 PM
My favorite console RPG:

Sword of Vermillion for the Genesis. You COuld SAVE GAMES :D

William
03-11-2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Vodstok
My favorite console RPG:

Sword of Vermillion for the Genesis. You COuld SAVE GAMES :D

I played that, it was pretty interesting...but couldn't you save games on other games? :confused:

SoulEater
03-12-2004, 12:50 PM
I agree with Sam; SNES was the best, followed closely by the PSone.

knife_fight
03-17-2004, 08:59 PM
I think the first NES was the best system ever. Gameplay. That's the word we're looking for.

Also, I personally think the PS1 and PS2 are better because cartridges deteriorate over time. Anyone tried to play their Zelda 1 cartridge lately? Guess what. It doesn't save your game. Why? Cartridges are shit. I don't care if they don't have a load time or whatever, I would still like to be able to play a game I paid $50 for 10 years from now, especially if it's a great game like Legend of Zelda. You know what I'm saying...

cheebacheeba
03-18-2004, 03:21 AM
- Word

Weird Terrain
03-22-2004, 03:49 PM
Well if its about performace and such, then its the Xbox. If its about nostalgia then its the C64 or Amiga. Still have those along with the other good old systems from back then, and it really is cool to spend an evening with either Golden Axe, Secrets of the Silverblade or Ghostbusters etc. :p

bloodrayne
04-01-2004, 12:51 AM
Product Testing Update
Newly discovered, valuable information...
If you put a Game Cube disc in the microwave...It will no longer work...Neither will your microwave...Just thought that I would pass that along:)

This information provided courtesy of my son:cool:

sexybear
04-05-2004, 02:13 AM
I have to say game cube is the best. I don't go just for graphics but.. they are in fact equal to ps2 and any other out there if not better and at the price of it you can't beat. I can't even see why anyone would chose a system cause of the controller...like any system you get used of it...The only quirk I have on gamecube is with ff crystal cronicals... you need a gba for everyplayer which sucks when you're paying almost $100 a pop for them.

Randall_Flagg
04-06-2004, 11:05 PM
I'm not into lengthy cut scenes. For me it all comes down to gameplay. My favourite old console has to be the SNES, and the current one is deffo the PS2. Ok, the loading can be irksome at times, but the end result has given me hours of enjoyment!

Randall_Flagg
04-06-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by bloodrayne
Product Testing Update
Newly discovered, valuable information...
If you put a Game Cube disc in the microwave...It will no longer work...Neither will your microwave...Just thought that I would pass that along:)

This information provided courtesy of my son:cool:

LMFAO... Bloodrayne, that was damned funny!!!