PDA

View Full Version : James Cameron taking a shot at Forbidden Planet remake?!

_____V_____
12-23-2008, 05:47 AM
December 20, 2008

James Cameron may no longer be content with just being king of the world. Now he reportedly wants to be king of Altair IV as well.

IESB reports that the Oscar-winning filmmaker may next direct the remake of the 1956 sci-fi classic Forbidden Planet for Warner Bros. J. Michael Straczynski (The Changeling, Babylon 5), who penned the screenplay.

The site claims Cameron "may want to have first shot at bringing one of the most ground-breaking science fiction films of its time back to the big screen. Imagine the new technology he could create for Robby the Robot."

IESB points out that Cameron has been interested in Forbidden Planet since 1998, as evidenced by this article at Ain't It Cool News.

As you may know, Forbidden Planet is basically a re-envisioning of Shakespeare's The Tempest. It follows the crew of an Earth ship bound for Altair IV, where an expedition team has gone missing. When the crew arrives they find that most of the expedition team has died. Only a scientist and his daughter are still alive – not counting his obedient robot Robby. The demented doctor has created an empire on the alien world. His loathing for things foreign to the world begins manifest itself through the alien world's advanced technology, especially once love blooms between the ship's captain and the scientist's daughter.

The original film was directed by Fred M. Wilcox and starred Walter Pidgeon, Anne Francis, and a young Leslie Nielsen.

urgeok2
12-23-2008, 06:04 AM
i enjoy the origional ... but i wouldnt mind at all seeing a well done remake with todays effects. at least cameron would have the budget to do it right - including casting.

neverending
12-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Bah- humbug.

Vodstok
12-23-2008, 11:00 AM
I have to say I am a bit disappointed at the thought of his return to film making being a remake, but damn, If Cameron does it, it will be good.

I wonder if Leslie Nielson will make a cameo. I would hope for something liek this:

LN: *something sarcastic that old people might chuckle at, probably a rehashed joke from the Naked gunseries*

Anyone else: YOU"RE NOT FUCKING FUNNY ANY MORE STOP TRYING!
*BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM*

Doc Faustus
12-23-2008, 11:01 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: why doesn't James Cameron just die?

Rodus
12-23-2008, 11:04 AM
Cameron's certainly a decent director and I enjoyed the original film so this could be very interesting.

Vodstok
12-23-2008, 12:24 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: why doesn't James Cameron just die?
not a Titanic fan i gather?:)

urgeok2
12-23-2008, 12:27 PM
hell, i hate titanic .. but he's made films i do like.