PDA

View Full Version : Officers Sickened By Filth

bloodrayne
02-12-2004, 11:41 PM
House raided by police sickens officers

Police operation targeting one of Rotorua's most notorious criminal families has revealed a house so filthy, it made officers physically sick.

Operation Hook, carried out over the past week, focused on criminals who target tourists.

Seven people have been arrested for burglaries, thefts from cars and stealing cars, following raids on several houses in Ngongotaha, 8km north of Rotorua.

One of the houses was so dirty police called in Rotorua District Council health officials and Child Youth and Family.

Children aged between five and seven were living at the house and police described their living conditions as "child abuse".

A "small mountain" of rubbish bags had been left to pile up at the back door, Detective Sergeant Dennis Murphy said.

The bags contained rotting food and "black, indescribable filth" that had left hardened police officers used to dealing with gruesome scenes retching and gagging.

"We can only imagine the effect it was having on the people living there, as well as the neighbours."

It appeared the occupants couldn't be bothered putting out the rubbish for collection, Mr Murphy said.

"The state of this house has nothing to do with a lack of income or money. There are plenty of low-income families around that can keep their places spick and span."

Police went back to the property a few days later and it had been cleaned up.

The council's principal environmental health officer, Alan Culpan, was reluctant to discuss the issue.

As well as the seven people arrested during the police operation, at least four more arrests were likely, police said.

Ten vehicles alleged to have been either stolen, or with stolen parts attached to them, were found, as well as a large amount of other stolen property.

"They are a group of criminals who work for financial gain and are specifically targeting tourists. This type of offending really affects Rotorua's reputation as a tourist spot," Mr Murphy said.

sleepaway
02-14-2004, 02:52 AM
That's just nasty. How people live in filth is beyond me. I think what I was picturing in my mind was worse than the written desciption but didn't like the bit about the black filth that had hardened! Gross. People are indeed strange.