PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for keeping warm

Vodstok
12-12-2008, 09:07 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping a house warm with A no electricity and b no woodstove? the ice storm last night knocked out half the power in our town, and every hotel room has been booked so we are stuck in a cold poorly insulated house with no means of heating it. Any ideas are welcome.

Roderick Usher
12-12-2008, 09:08 AM
lots of fucking!

Vodstok
12-12-2008, 09:27 AM
lots of fucking!
unfortunately, due to my stance against incest, pedophilia and beastiality, that will only work for one member of my household. I still have my daughter, 2 dogs and a rabbit to warm up. :)

newb
12-12-2008, 09:42 AM
unfortunately, due to my stance against incest, pedophilia and beastiality, that will only work for one member of my household. I still have my daughter, 2 dogs and a rabbit to warm up. :)

take a 3 hour ride to R.I......I have 3 couches.

Bring lots of beer

mikeyjay88
12-12-2008, 10:17 AM
Blankets! or you could go sit out in your car with the heater on. Thats what truckers do in the winter.

urgeok2
12-12-2008, 10:35 AM
friction.

rub things ...

urgeok2
12-12-2008, 10:37 AM
wait a sec .. how do you participate on an internet forum with no electricity ?

a slowly draining laptop on an aircard ?

missmacabre
12-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Put blankets over all your windows and doors. On your walls even, to insulate a little better. Do you have a small propane camping heater? You could go buy one of those maybe, but you would have to keep the house fairly ventilated. Use lots of blankets and drink lots of tea if you have a gas stove to heat the water. Hot water bottles even to keep warm.

urgeok2
12-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Put blankets over all your windows and doors. On your walls even, to insulate a little better. Do you have a small propane camping heater? You could go buy one of those maybe, but you would have to keep the house fairly ventilated. Use lots of blankets and drink lots of tea if you have a gas stove to heat the water. Hot water bottles even to keep warm.

trust a canadian to know :)

Vodstok
12-12-2008, 10:54 AM
wait a sec .. how do you participate on an internet forum with no electricity ?

a slowly draining laptop on an aircard ?
at work :)

The_Return
12-12-2008, 11:36 AM
Put blankets over all your windows and doors. On your walls even, to insulate a little better. Do you have a small propane camping heater? You could go buy one of those maybe, but you would have to keep the house fairly ventilated.

Does anyone else see the hilarity of this?

I'd watch out for Miss Macabre, Vod - I'm pretty sure she's trying to kill you.

Despare
12-12-2008, 11:39 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping a house warm with A no electricity and b no woodstove? the ice storm last night knocked out half the power in our town, and every hotel room has been booked so we are stuck in a cold poorly insulated house with no means of heating it. Any ideas are welcome.

Lots of blankets and soup, my power went out yesterday and although it's back on I have no heat. Alternator in my car went Saturday, Furnace yesterday, and I'm hoping that's all this week.

If you're going to grab a propane heater get one called the "Buddy Heater", it has a low oxygen shut off in case there's too much CO2 production.

Roderick Usher
12-12-2008, 02:01 PM

prude........

novakru
12-14-2008, 02:58 PM
Get 2 kerosene heaters.
Since you have a drafty house, you probably won't even have to keep a window cracked.

Psycom5k
12-14-2008, 03:48 PM
Does anyone else see the hilarity of this?

I'd watch out for Miss Macabre, Vod - I'm pretty sure she's trying to kill you.

Lmfao I noticed that one too.

my power just came on last night but no cable or internet until earlier today. Everything in this house is electric and the only source of heat that we had was a fireplace in a drafty living room.

Pssst MM is trying to kill you..... :D

Phalanx
12-14-2008, 04:24 PM
so we are stuck in a cold poorly insulated house
That's your answer.
Buy (?more?) insulation, helps massively.
Door snakes.
Keep the blinds drawn.
Goose down blankets 'n stuff.
If you've got a fireplace light it up, or block it.
Candles. Sounds like it wouldn't do too much but they DO generate heat.
Portable mini-bbq things? No smell after the gas is lit...would do a few hours...and your cooking.
You can also buy those chemical heatbag things? I don't know what they're called, but they work amazingly for a few hours...you just bend this metal thing inside them, they solidify and really heat up...reusable too.
There you go, looked 'em up: http://www.ricalsimporium.com/Heat%20Pack.htm

Odin
12-15-2008, 08:46 AM
Well I guess you'll be investing in some better insulation in the future :)

My two cents, if you're in a drafty house with poor insulation, I would say trying to heat it would be... well not pointless, but difficult?

So I would go for the rugging up option... Just put on three layers of socks, pants, and jumpers :D

And drink lots of hot soup/tea/coffee/cocoa, what ever you like.

I have no idea how effective this is (probably not at all and nothing more than a fire hazard, so I don't think you should do it, this is more just for interests sake) I heard from my grandmother once that people in the warehouse where she worked used to keep warm by lighting a big candle under a terracotta pot. Apparently it warmed up the pot and it radiated some heat...

Angra
12-15-2008, 09:01 AM
A. Take a stick.
B. Take a stone.
C. Rub them together repeadetly.

Easy-piecy.