PDA

View Full Version : Filmmakers who would have made great horror movies, but never tried.

Nish
02-04-2004, 06:20 AM
Whom do you think are filmmakers who could have made some awesome horror flicks if they tried. I say Sergio Leone, he would have made a really cool close-up horror movie. Anyone else?

ProjectMayhem
02-04-2004, 10:58 AM
Interesting thread.

The man in your signature although of course we've already had From Dusk Till Dawn. And although he could still eventually make one.

I'd like to see Richard Kelly (Donnie Darko) attempt a full blown one, seeing as he's one of the best new young talents.

Sam The Egg
02-04-2004, 03:35 PM
Akira Kurosawa

Dr.Kelvinstein
02-04-2004, 10:55 PM
Anyone familiar with the "supernatural" reading of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly? I don't know who originally came up with this, but some critics and reviewers think Blondie is an angel sent to watch over Tuco and ensure he gets his share of the gold without getting killed. According to this reading, he slowly reveals his angelic identity until the end when he appears for the gunfight in pure angelic radiance (the sheep-skin vest and poncho we know from the other two movies in the Dollars Trilogy). This reading also explains some of Angel Eyes' dialogue and adds more signifigance to the scene in which Tuco beats his padre brother. And at the end of the movie did Blondie keep on riding to the town of San Miguel, somewhere along the way trading his horse for the mule he's riding in the opening of Fistful?

Monco, Eastwood's name in For a Few, is also Italian for Monk.

Nish
02-04-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Dr.Kelvinstein
Anyone familiar with the "supernatural" reading of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly? I don't know who originally came up with this, but some critics and reviewers think Blondie is an angel sent to watch over Tuco and ensure he gets his share of the gold without getting killed. According to this reading, he slowly reveals his angelic identity until the end when he appears for the gunfight in pure angelic radiance (the sheep-skin vest and poncho we know from the other two movies in the Dollars Trilogy). This reading also explains some of Angel Eyes' dialogue and adds more signifigance to the scene in which Tuco beats his padre brother. And at the end of the movie did Blondie keep on riding to the town of San Miguel, somewhere along the way trading his horse for the mule he's riding in the opening of Fistful?

Monco, Eastwood's name in For a Few, is also Italian for Monk.

Thats a pretty cool thought. I mean, The Man with No Name rarely seems to get hurt (there are exceptions, of course) and often gets saved by some nearly impossible coincidences. (The Chariots in the desert, the explosion in the hotel etc.) A man who is nearly left for dead by Tuco miraculously talks to Blondie. Pretty cool, maybe he evolved into the High Plains Drifter lol.

PsychoticPanda
02-06-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by ProjectMayhem
Interesting thread.

The man in your signature although of course we've already had From Dusk Till Dawn. And although he could still eventually make one.

I'd like to see Richard Kelly (Donnie Darko) attempt a full blown one, seeing as he's one of the best new young talents.

He did great with Donnie Darko. I'd love to see what he could do with a horror movie.

mictlan
02-07-2004, 04:37 AM
Tarkovsky. It would be talky and six hours long... but probably very scary.

What about directors who should have made more? I wish Kubrick had.

Jasonman
02-09-2004, 12:57 PM
Qeuntin could have a great horror movie becausse he is one of the best directors ever.

Killer Clown#1
02-09-2004, 01:03 PM
I would like to see what the Chiodo brothers could do with a huge ass budget.

Sam The Egg
02-09-2004, 01:46 PM
Sam Peckinpah
Peter O'Fallon
Luc Besson
Darren Aronofsky
Christopher Nolan

Dr.Kelvinstein
02-10-2004, 07:47 PM
Sam Peckinpah had two horror movies on the burner when he died. One of them, co-written by Stephen King, became the Richard Bachman novel The Regulaters. The other one was a post apocalyptic thing about a guy being chased around a mall by a hairy, gorilla-like monster. He finally ends up killing the monster and realizes it's actually a guy in a mask. He pulls off the mask and it's, gasp, himself. A bit too existential for my tastes, although Sam IS still the man.

mictlan
02-11-2004, 12:31 PM
That last one sounds too much like one of those lost Twilight Zone episodes.

Sam Peckinpah and Stephen King were going to collaborate? It seems like a bad combination to me... like having steak and dogshit tacos... no thanks, I'll pass.

Thaide
03-12-2004, 11:22 AM
I reckon John Woo could do a kick ass zombie movie, although it would be more action then horror. Still, I think it would be great.

Starchild
03-21-2004, 10:08 AM
I'd sure like to see John McTiernan doing a real horror. I think it would be a perfect mixture of horror and action.

HappyCamper
03-24-2004, 12:40 PM
I think the Coen Brothers should make a horror film.

Ann Bowman
04-03-2004, 05:14 AM
Everyone always says how they'd like to see a horror movie made from a director who directs action- I'd much rather see a horror movie made by a dramatic filmmaker, someone who considers the heart and soul of characters without just making the film a one-note CGI fest...

Sam The Egg
04-06-2004, 10:48 PM
I heard that the next Charlie Kaufman/Spike Jonze collaboration will be a horror movie