PDA

View Full Version : R L Stine's Goosebumps - The Movie

_____V_____
11-18-2008, 09:04 AM
November 17, 2008

Columbia Pictures and Original Film are teaming to bring the 1990s literary series Goosebumps to the big screen.

The project is based on R.L. Stine's popular book series, which beget games and an animated TV series.

According to The Los Angeles Times, Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski (Problem Child, Ed Wood, Agent Cody Banks) have been hired to pen the screenplay adaptation.

Original Film's topper Neal Moritz informed the paper, "We're trying to make this a big family movie. ... Young kids will find it fun-scary versus scary-scary, and it'll also have an adult component."

pinkfloyd45769
11-18-2008, 11:11 AM
This is very cool news for my lil one:)

hacelikewhoa
12-03-2008, 10:17 AM
awesome

:)

fortunato
12-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Didn't Rod try to get this bid?

Roderick Usher
12-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Didn't Rod try to get this bid?

yup

the producer hd no idea what my partner and I were trying to achieve and didn't know any of the classic GOOSEBUMPS tales we were trying to reinvent

missmacabre
12-03-2008, 12:08 PM
yup

the producer hd no idea what my partner and I were trying to achieve and didn't know any of the classic GOOSEBUMPS tales we were trying to reinvent

seriously!? I hate it when people get involved with projects and don't know their source material. I would have liked to have seen your movie though.

Vodstok
12-03-2008, 12:21 PM
the writers they chose dont have the best pedigree, but listening to them on the Ed Wood commentary, they get into their stuff, do their homework... Maybe they will do it justice.

fortunato
12-03-2008, 02:27 PM
yup

That really bums me out. I thought your guys' pitch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eQWxSh9-gM
was fantastic. It set up a really cool, creepy, old-fashioned scary mood and feel that I thought would have been perfect for a Goosebumps movie.

Too bad, really. Having been a big-time ardent Goosebumps fan growing up, this could have been a huge deal. The one that gets made is probably going to end up being a total disappointment.

AmericanManiac
12-03-2008, 05:32 PM
I loved goosebumps!!! :D Should be pretty cool to watch

Freak
12-03-2008, 05:41 PM
I'll watch it.Have the whole collection of the original Goosebumps books.Even have one of the misprinted copies as well.

Sorry you didn't get the job Rod.

The Mothman
12-14-2008, 08:37 PM
was an avid fan of both the books and the show back in the day.

Odin
12-15-2008, 09:03 AM
Interesting! I hope this turns out well...

I was also a huge fan of the Goosebumps books, I read the entire first series, had a cardboard cut-out of Curly, glow in the dark Goosebumps boxers, pogs, hologram cards, and various other merchandise.

I found it harder to find the "Give yourself Goosebumps" books, but I read which ever ones I could get my hands on.

I lost interest in the books when "Series 2000" came out though.
I think I was just too old for them by then.

DeVuL
01-12-2009, 10:55 PM
I dig it... I used to read those damned books all the time! Gives me something to do with my little sister anyhow! *smile*

SodaGirl
01-15-2009, 12:03 AM
I will definitely watch it for nostalgia, the same reason I pop in my "Are Your Afraid of the Dark" DVDs from time to time. I loved Goosebumps and still have a lot of the books buried somewhere in the basement!

creepycrawler23
01-26-2009, 12:07 PM
How are they gonna do this? Goosebumps is a series of individual sci-fi/horror short novels. What's the movie gonna be about? There must be hundreds of those books.

archivesofthedead
01-26-2009, 05:37 PM
I'm glad. My kids love the books and the movies. I know I did when I was younger.

_____V_____
09-16-2010, 09:16 PM
Chances are, if you were born in the last 30 years, you’ve either heard of or read one of R.L. Stine’s Goosebumps books. The series, which features horror stories for kids, contains over 150 books which have sold over 300 million copies worldwide. The only bigger young adult publishing franchise is Harry Potter.

Columbia Pictures picked up the film rights in 2008 and have just announced a screenwriter to kick-start the book series as a potential live-action franchise: Carl Ellsworth, the writer behind Disturbia, Red Eye and The Last House On the Left remake.

It’ll be produced by Neal Moritz of Original Film and Deborah Forte of Scholastic Entertainment, who currently publishes the books.

The Goosebumps series began publishing in 1992 and has spawned several video games, board games, a television show and much more. It’s an incredibly lucrative franchise with a very well-known brand name so there’s no doubt that Columbia would love this to be the start of a franchise.

The main question that comes to mind is, with such an enormous amount of source material, what will Ellsworth use to come up with the first story? There already is a script out there - when Columbia originally picked up the rights, Larry Karaszewski and Scott Alexander wrote a treatment - but in the Hollywood Reporter piece that broke the news, it doesn’t say if that script will be used.

Will the Goosebumps series be the next Harry Potter? Probably not. But the potential is endless. With book titles like Welcome to Camp Nightmare, One Day At Horrorland, The Cuckoo Clock of Doom, It Came From Beneath the Sink and on and on, it would be hard to keep fans out of the theater.

Weapon X
09-17-2010, 04:28 AM
Looking forward to this.

Posher778
09-17-2010, 08:46 AM
I would like to see the book about the wicked snowman put into a live action. That one scared me as a kid. Or the mudmen.

fortunato
09-17-2010, 03:39 PM
I would love to see One Day at Horrorland. Or The Scarecrow Walks at Midnight. Or Welcome to Dead House...haha.

I still wish Rod had gotten the bid on this one. His pitch was awesome.

nightmare_of _death
09-17-2010, 03:59 PM
I remember the books and the show, the show was no were near as good as the books, the show kind of sucked I remember always being disappointed like when is it going to get scary, or this wasn't in the book and so on. I hope if they make movies off the books there done right. I remember one of my favorite Goosebumps being The Beast from the East.

massacre man
09-18-2010, 10:03 AM
Slappy: The Movie. Damn it!

_____V_____
09-16-2013, 10:34 AM
Jack Black eyeing 'Goosebumps' film

Jack Black has entered negotiations for the Goosebumps movie.

The School of Rock star is in line for the adaptation of RL Stine's popular children's horror series, reports The Wrap.

Rob Letterman will direct the movie.

The Goosebumps series is said to be the second most successful book series of all time following JK Rowling's Harry Potter, with 175 books published and over 300 million sales to date.

It is unknown which of Stine's stories will be adapted for the movie.

Letterman and Black previously worked together on Shark Tale and Gulliver's Travels.

Goosebumps will be produced by Neal H Moritz and Deborah Forte with a script from Larry Karaszewski and Scott Alexander (1408).

http://www.thewrap.com/jack-black-in-negotiations-to-star-in-goosebumps-movie-for-sony-scholastic-media-exclusive/

MichaelMyers
09-16-2013, 11:48 AM
Not a positive development, IMO. This film should have a seriousness to it since the readership of Goosebumps is now too mature for a kid's movie. Little kids likely won't be familiar with the books.

Ice Pik
10-07-2013, 01:41 PM
True but all of the kids who read the book has kids of their own now which will spark the parents taking them.

I'm really curious on how they will do "Goosebumps: The Movie" Maybe like a creep show style? I've picked up a few Goosebumps movies through my time (yard sales, Pawn shops, goodwill) and my kids love them.

I saw somewhere on Comcast where they same they are doing a movie on a different R.L. Stein series.

Ehhh, I guess it's a wait and see game.

pterostigma
10-09-2013, 10:51 PM
Yes to One Day at Horrorland and Welcome to Dead House! I loved the Goosebumps books I read as a kid. Although, I thought Are You Afraid of the Dark? made for a superior TV show.

Damn Heathen
08-25-2014, 02:26 AM
Maintaining a comic thread for the movie version is a wise move, both financially and thematically. This is much anticipated to say the least and could substitute for The Monster Squad sequel I've always wanted.

The Bloofer Lady
08-25-2014, 11:13 AM
The Monster Squad...sigh. ::love::

Damn Heathen
08-26-2014, 03:26 AM
The Monster Squad...sigh. ::love::

Well, at least Dekker is writing the next Predator installment.

oz_horror
09-04-2014, 03:06 AM
Shame you didn't get the nod Rod,
but as a long time Goosebumps books I am hopeful that the movie is at least watchable - I have only recently dug all of my old books out of the garage for my 10 year old to start reading ::big grin::