PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever get anything published

meetthecreeper
01-29-2004, 04:25 PM
OK by no means am I Stephen King or the like but I am in the process of writing a serial killer horror novel. I intend for the book to be done about mid to late summer. I want to know if anyone has ever written anything and tried to get it published? I am not really doing this for money or anything but more for myself and to maybe get some notice. I plan on sending a couple of pre edited copies to people that I consider to know something of horror and get their opinions good or bad. But my main question is how does one go about contacting publishers, is it similar to the recording industry where things can not be unsolicited? Just curious if anyone knows.

Vodstok
01-30-2004, 11:44 AM
check out this thread:
http://www.horror.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=37474#post37474

ESB was very helpful.

Vodstok
02-16-2004, 04:35 AM
I'm thinking of maybe posting ohter people's stuff on my site, to generate more hits and to get other people some exposure.

I'll look into copyright protection so that anyone who i acvtually post doesnt have to worry about anyone stealing their stuff. Let me know if anyone is interested.

sleepaway
02-19-2004, 03:41 AM
Unfortunately not.

Does a horror poem count online??

Does a drawing in a MASK comic count?!!!

You need a literary agent in general. But if someone important or in the business reads your stuff and likes it the skies the limit.

pbenvin
02-25-2004, 08:54 AM
My novel, "Obstruction: Interference" is being published by Publish America, and is nearing its final stages now. I'll be earning royalties in percentage increases of 8%, 10%, and 12%. I have also had numerous short stories published, most recently "Suffer" by Alien Skin Magazine. I never have nor will I ever seek the help of an agent. Why pay someone to do what you can absolutely do yourself. If anyone would like help with their writing, or even ask some questions, drop me a line and I would be more than happy to help.

Vodstok
02-27-2004, 04:27 AM
:) cool.

Unfortunately, if i get my way, I will be writing screenplays, and %99.999999 of film companies will not touch you with a 10 foot pole without an agent. So i will have to deal with them SOMEday..

williemeikle
02-27-2004, 05:13 AM
Hi

I'm a horror writer, over 150 stories and 3 novels published, 4 more novels on the way.....that's just to show you I kinda know what I'm talking about :)

- The trick to getting published is:
a) Write....write a lot
b) Send stuff to publishers....and keep sending stuff until somebody takes notice :)

- When dealing with publishers, follow their rules. That means getting hold of their guidelines....most have them available on line.

- Watch out for scammers. There's a lot of them about. Some will try to get you to pay them large amounts of money to read your work and publish you. If you're happy with that, fine, but I ignore them. IMHO authors get paid, they don't pay to get published.

- Study the market. A great source for horror writing markets is http://www.ralan.com , who'll tell you who is looking to buy at the moment, and where to get the guidelines

- For example guidelines have a look at http://www.khpindustries.com where you'll find my current publisher and a fairly standard set of independent horror press guidelines.

[- Don't give up. Believe in yourself, and you'll get there someday

Willie Meikle

Ultimamk
02-27-2004, 08:55 PM
I'm currently working on my book, the story is straight and I'm working on the first draft. I might be done in like a year or two if I'm lucky and 6 years if my history of bad luck persists. (The fact that I'm in school doesn't really help either...)

FAIRYDUST
03-21-2004, 10:52 PM
You can self publish if you want to try that route. I'm writing horror story that deals with fairies and vampires. Yes, send the hate now. One of friends was like "You can't write that story it's not possible."

Vodstok
03-22-2004, 04:37 AM
I hope you told them to go to hell. Anythign is possible. One of these days i would like to write a dark fairy story, since my fiance is such a huge fairy fan (you have never seen so much tinkerbell stuff :)), and the plot i came up with could work very well. Stick with it, I would be interested in any excerpts, if you have any. Sounds cool :)