PDA

View Full Version : Remakes of RKO films

phantomstranger
10-21-2008, 01:03 PM
Fickman, Twisted Remaking Four RKO Horror Pics
Source: Variety
October 21, 2008

Andy Fickman has made a deal with Roseblood Movie Company and Twisted Pictures to godfather four remakes from RKO's horror heyday, including three that were produced by horrormeister Val Lewton, says Variety. Fickman will direct at least one of the films.

Roseblood is the horror/thriller division of RKO Pictures, and Twisted is the horror division of Evolution Entertainment, financiers and producers of the "Saw" series. The companies will co-finance the films.

The remake properties are the Jacques Tourneur-directed I Walked With a Zombie (1943); the Robert Wise-directed Bela Lugosi-Boris Karloff starrer The Body Snatcher (1945); the Mark Robson-directed Karloff starrer Bedlam (1946); and the John Farrow-directed Lucille Ball-John Carradine starrer Five Came Back (1939).

RKO chairman Ted Hartley is producing the remakes with Twisted's Mark Burg, Oren Koules and Carl Mazzocone. Jonathan Marshall is executive producer.

neverending
10-21-2008, 01:08 PM
Bah. Bastards.

fortunato
10-21-2008, 01:17 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Puke bomb.

The Flayed One
10-21-2008, 03:12 PM
Why? Seriously.

Doc Faustus
10-21-2008, 05:44 PM
That tears it! I'm gonna write Nosferatu goes Hawaiian.

fortunato
10-21-2008, 05:56 PM
That tears it! I'm gonna write Nosferatu goes Hawaiian.

Yikes!
The horror of Honolulu!
The menace of Maui!
The kindred of Kaua'i!

Can't wait.

The_Return
10-21-2008, 06:47 PM
This is sick sad and wrong.

Who in God's name could play Cabman Gray like Boris Karloff?

neverending
10-21-2008, 07:51 PM
This is sick sad and wrong.

Who in God's name could play Cabman Gray like Boris Karloff?

That was one of Bela's finer performances as well. But nobody today cares. It will star Keanu Reeves and Jim Carrey.

Bastards.

And instead of subtlety and atmosphere for I Walked With a Zombie we'll get a bloody zombie gorefest. Whoopie.

novakru
10-21-2008, 08:19 PM
Maybe they will marry the awesome special effects of todays' technology and the amazing, dark atmosphere of the classic horror films and finally redeem the reputation of destroying the great movies in a slapdash 'remake' into : refining these works of art for a new generation of horror fans and still have complete, utmost respect to the original writers, directors and actors.

I can dream:mad:

neverending
10-21-2008, 10:08 PM
Haha.. that was hilarious.

fortunato
10-21-2008, 10:22 PM

He's right.
That was really funny.

The Photographer
10-22-2008, 05:36 AM
Normally im more likely to support a remake of a 70 year old film then I am a 20or 30 yr. old film but in this case im more pissed off then honestly ever before. Todays society doesnt know how to recreate the atmosphere and terror that a Lewton or any other RKO film ever did. Im sure they'll pick the most rediculous director to do it. They should offer Scorcese he may not fuck it up but its unlikely.

The_Return
10-22-2008, 07:37 AM
I guess we can always cross our fingers and hope for "in name only" remakes like House of Wax or Ghost Ship - I mean, neither of them were great (at all), but they were far enough removed from the source material that they don't shit all over the originals.

Here's hoping...

novakru
10-22-2008, 09:33 AM

Well I'll be damned.
Someone not ignoring me.

Anyway, I was wondering why RKO?
Why not some of the Metro Goldwyn Mayer classics?
Contracts up?

jenna26
10-22-2008, 09:48 AM
the Robert Wise-directed Bela Lugosi-Boris Karloff starrer The Body Snatcher (1945)

:mad:

It doesn't surprise me, but I don't have to like it. I'm afraid of what they are going to turn this into. I usually give most remakes a chance, but I am often so very disappointed I might have to just pass this one up completely.

Well I'll be damned.
Someone not ignoring me.

You're being ignored? I'm sure its not intentional. :(

novakru
10-22-2008, 10:17 AM
You're being ignored? I'm sure its not intentional. :(

I love you Jenna:)

I just recently realized that I put more of your recommendations in my movie queue than anybody
Chrono is a close 2nd:cool:

But I am seriously wondering about the RKO contracts...that's alot of movies being remade of 'classics' no less by one company...you know?
I bet there's a great back story to that.
Or maybe it happens all the time and this is just everyday hohum Hollywood stuff...

neverending
10-22-2008, 10:23 AM
Well, those RKO flicks have a lot of respect from fans of classic horror buffs. They're probably hoping the name recognition alone will pull in the fans. What they keep failing to realize the fans who remember those films, or have any awareness of them, are not going to appreciate the remakes.

RKO was well known for their horror films. MGM not so much.

novakru
10-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Well, those RKO flicks have a lot of respect from fans of classic horror buffs. They're probably hoping the name recognition alone will pull in the fans. What they keep failing to realize the fans who remember those films, or have any awareness of them, are not going to appreciate the remakes.

RKO was well known for their horror films. MGM not so much.

Makes sense.
Maybe there should be a petition.
I'll check out the OFFICIAL:D RKO website .
It would not only save these films (probably not)
But send a message as well.(probably not)