PDA

View Full Version : Marvel renews deal with Paramount

_____V_____
09-30-2008, 06:45 AM
September 29, 2008

"Iron Man" helped Marvel Studios dominate at the B.O. this summer — and now the superhero has also helped the comicbook giant lock up a more lucrative film deal at Paramount Pictures.

Marvel Studios has renegotiated its distribution pact with Par, under which it will now pay out 8% of its film grosses to the studio for its next five films, rather than the 10% it previously ponied up for "Iron Man."

The 8% is also what DreamWorks Animation pays Par to release its toon titles and what Lucasfilm forks over for the "Indiana Jones" franchise.

Deal comes on the heels of DreamWorks’ exit from the studio, which leaves a hole of six films per year in Paramount’s release schedule. Influx of Marvel product will help fill that gap.

Those upcoming films include "Thor," which Kenneth Branagh has been confirmed to direct. It centers on the hammer-wielding Norse god and is skedded for release on July 16, 2010.

Slate also includes "Iron Man 2," which bows May 7, 2010, and brings back Robert Downey Jr. as billionaire Tony Stark, as well as co-stars Terrence Howard and Gwyneth Paltrow. A third "Iron Man" is also planned.

Second installment, to again be helmed by Jon Favreau, had previously targeted April 30, 2010. New date now puts it up against Disney and Walden Media’s "The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader."

Marvel has also skedded "The First Avenger: Captain America" (May 6, 2011) and "The Avengers" (July 15, 2011).

Ability to negotiate more favorable financial terms for itself comes after Marvel successfully launched its film division this year with the release of "Iron Man" and "The Incredible Hulk," through Universal; the pics went on to earn a combined $824 million worldwide this summer.

Marvel is expected to earn up to $140 million from its films this year, the company said in a corporate filing.

A continution of Marvel’s deal with Par had always been expected. Pact also covers all windows, including homevid. The DVD for "Iron Man" bows today, Sept. 30.

Doc Faustus
09-30-2008, 08:19 AM
September 29, 2008

Those upcoming films include "Thor," which Kenneth Branagh has been confirmed to direct. It centers on the hammer-wielding Norse god and is skedded for release on July 16, 2010.

Can't stand that man. Why do I have a sinking feeling that arrogant jackass has cast himself as Loki?

Vodstok
09-30-2008, 08:55 AM
Can't stand that man. Why do I have a sinking feeling that arrogant jackass has cast himself as Loki?
I know nothing about him beyond a bunch of former friends watching every single shakespeare piece the man did. They too were all arrogant jackasses, so their esteem doesnt speak highly of anyone to me.

However, the movie schedule sounds freaking incredible :)