PDA

View Full Version : I Am Legend 2 greenlit!

_____V_____
09-25-2008, 10:28 AM
September 24, 2008

Warner Bros. has set in motion a prequel to the Will Smith starrer "I Am Legend."

The plan is for Smith to reprise his role as scientist Robert Neville, with Francis Lawrence returning to direct. Akiva Goldsman and his Weed Road banner will produce with James Lassiter, Smith’s partner in Overbrook Entertainment.

The studio has set D.B. Weiss to write a script that is based on a detailed outline that was hatched over the past few months by Smith, Goldsman, Lassiter and Lawrence.

The prequel will chronicle the final days of humanity in New York before a man-made virus caused a plague that left Smith’s character the lone survivor among a mutated mob in the city.

***POSSIBLE MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD***

Making a prequel was the only way to extend a franchise that grossed $584 million worldwide for Warner Bros. and keep Smith in the lead role. His character was killed in the first film, after extracting a potential cure for the virus for the scattered survivors.

***END OF SPOILERS***

Weiss at present is scripting the adaptation of Neil Strauss’ book "The Game" for Spyglass Entertainment. He’s also working on a project for Relativity, "Kashmir."

GorePhobia
09-25-2008, 12:25 PM
Doesn't really sound like it will be that fun unless it shows the people turning into the zombie creature things.

urgeok2
09-25-2008, 12:56 PM
i can honrstly say that prequels are pretty much always a lame idea.

we know where the road ends - what's the point ?

no matter how well it's done - knowing the end result lessens the impact of the film by 60% - its just pointless.

(nothing but a money grab)

jugchord
09-25-2008, 01:16 PM
I loved I Am Legend, I probably won't check this one out though.

_____V_____
02-18-2012, 04:18 AM
Arash Amel has been hired to write a screenplay for I Am Legend 2 for Warner Bros. Will Smith is on board to produce through his Overbrook Entertainment shingle, with the potential once again to star.

Akiva Goldsman, who co-wrote and produced I Am Legend, also will return as a producer.

The 2007 horror thriller starred Smith as the last surviving human in a New York cityscape overrun by monsters that survived the plague that killed most of humanity.

It is unclear how the storyline will be developed in the new project since Smith's character, Robert Neville, perished at the end of the first film. The film is not being called a prequel, which had been rumored for the past few years. But clearly Warner Bros sees more room to roam on a film that grossed $584 million worldwide.

Smith won’t commit until the script is ready and nobody has heard yet where I Am Legend director Francis Lawrence stands on the whole thing. The other quandary is this: If it isn’t a prequel, how to get past Smith’s character’s demise at the first film’s end? These of course are semantics in the tentpole game.

Smith produced Fox's recent release This Means War, and he stars in the Sony sequel Men in Black III, which hits theaters in May.

crazy raplh
02-18-2012, 04:23 AM
Say what we want but I guarantee we will all see the prequel if its released.

Guilherme
02-19-2012, 09:33 AM
Say what we want but I guarantee we will all see the prequel if its released.

It's a true.

phantomstranger
03-07-2012, 10:32 AM
all I can say is:

Aww, Hell No!

cheebacheeba
03-07-2012, 06:01 PM
He'll have figured out a way to clone himself prior to his death, and we will find that there was two different Robert Nevilles throughout the first film.
The clone (or is it) will also suffer identity issues, as his memories to the point of his creation were the same - he won't know if he's in fact the clone or the original.
To safeguard his continuing work, he'll do it again.
However, a foreign article will make it into the procedure and "evil Robert" half mutant clone will come into existence, being the major threat for this movie.
The third film will have him killing Robert 2 (or 1?) then struggling for redemption.

Mark_E_De_Sade
03-07-2012, 07:49 PM
the first one was cool

curtinparloe
03-15-2012, 03:05 PM
Will it be called "I Am Legend 2: Carnival of the CGI Animals"?

The first film was a remake that didn't need doing.

brainsickhorror.com
03-16-2012, 09:53 PM
I enjoyed 'I am Legend' up until you we're introduced to the CGI infused infected people; it totally killed the film and took away the realism. I remember sitting in the cinema and rolling my eyes into the back of my head, thinking excessive CGI has once again taken away the scares; i believe in horror sometimes less is best. Part 2 will probably be more of the same bullshit!

TheCabin
03-19-2012, 07:28 PM
the first one was cool

I think it was decent. I think the second one could be way better.