PDA

View Full Version : Pirates of the Caribbean 4

_____V_____
09-25-2008, 10:26 AM
September 24, 2008

Johnny Depp is the main man at the Mouse House.

Depp has agreed to reprise his role as Captain Jack Sparrow in a fourth "Pirates of the Caribbean" pic and play Tonto in a bigscreen adaptation of "The Lone Ranger," both produced by Jerry Bruckheimer.

He will also star as the Mad Hatter in Tim Burton’s version of "Alice in Wonderland."

The roles come after Depp helped Disney earn a combined $2.6 billion at the box office with the three pics in the "Pirates" franchise, also produced by Bruckheimer.

"Alice in Wonderland," skedded for 2010, will be shot using 3-D and performance capture technology similar to that used for "Beowulf."

Depp’s casting deals closed a full day Wednesday at the Kodak Theater, where Walt Disney Studios chairman Dick Cook touted the Mouse’s upcoming slate of pics during a showcase event for exhibitors, media and other industry insiders.

Toons provided the company’s other big news.

Disney-Pixar’s "Cars" has proved such a major moneymaker for the Mouse House that Disney is moving the release of the sequel up a year to summer 2011.

In addition to shifting the date for "Cars 2," studio also announced that it will produce a series of animated short films starring Mater and other characters from the first feature.

Shorts will air on TV, including the Disney Channel, and in theaters in front of films.

The Walt Disney Studios Showcase has essentially turned into a splashy, ShoWest-like event in Hollywood for the company to parade out stars and screen extended clips for a couple thousand attendees in various sectors of the biz to promote its future projects.

Last time it held the showcase was in 2005, also at the Kodak.

In addition to Depp, who took the stage dressed as Jack Sparrow while wearing the Lone Ranger mask, this year’s event also featured the cast of "High School Musical" plus Dwayne Johnson, Miley Cyrus, John Travolta and Robin Williams. Adam Sandler appeared in a pretaped sequence with the studio chairman. And Cook even had a conversation with the four-legged star of "Beverly Hills Chihuahua."

Bruckheimer and Nicolas Cage announced a third 'National Treasure.' Although talkshow queen Oprah Winfrey wasn’t present, it was announced that she will voice the mother of the princess in hand-drawn toon "The Princess and the Frog," set in New Orleans.

Cook called the upcoming pics for the rest of this year and 2009 "the most creative slate of films in Disney history" and showed sequences from "High School Musical 3: Senior Year," "Bedtime Stories," "Race to Witch Mountain," "Hannah Montana: The Movie," "Old Dogs," "The Princess and the Frog," Robert Zemeckis’ "A Christmas Carol" and Pixar’s next pic, "Up."

The_Return
09-25-2008, 10:29 AM
I was beyond disappointed with the 3rd one...but I'd be willing to give it a watch, if not just for Capt. Jack.

Roderick Usher
09-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Lame

I'm not falling for the banana in the tailpipe

illdojo
09-25-2008, 02:26 PM
Lame

I'm not falling for the banana in the tailpipe

*Stereotypical white person voice*
You're not gonna fall for the banana in the tailpipe?

newb
09-25-2008, 06:48 PM
I'll admit...the third wasn't the best ....but it was very watchable....I'll give # 4 a watch.

Depp hasn't let me down yet.

novakru
09-25-2008, 07:16 PM
Dammit

Now what am I going to have to pay for the combined DVD?:mad:
I mean the trilogy is $60! Jeez

nightmare_of _death
09-26-2008, 05:19 AM
Sounds great! I liked the pirates movies and am looking forward to the next installment. I'm also a big Tim Burton fan,and looking foward to his adaptaion of Alice in Wonderland.

urgeok2
09-26-2008, 05:23 AM
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd239/open68/Graduation/P4020045.jpg

Porcupiney
09-26-2008, 09:33 AM
Dammit

Now what am I going to have to pay for the combined DVD?:mad:
I mean the trilogy is $60! Jeez

http://www.netflix.com/

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

http://www.slysoft.com/en/clonedvd.html

Screw Disney.:)

_____V_____
07-31-2009, 07:33 PM
Disney is on the verge of putting Rob Marshall in as director of a fourth installment of “Pirates of the Caribbean,” a move that puts the film on track for a 2010 production start, with Johnny Depp back as Captain Jack Sparrow.

There hasn’t been a director at the helm of the pirate ship since April, when Gore Verbinski stepped out to focus on a movie version of the vidgame “Bioshock” for Universal.
Though that film’s lost some momentum, Verbinski has moved on to other directing and producing projects.

Marshall_flemnew Producer Jerry Bruckheimer and Disney have been meeting with a number of directors in recent weeks, because the studio wants to pull the “Pirates” film together and have Depp star in it before he does “The Lone Ranger” for the producer and the studio.
While Marshall’s involvement wasn’t immediately confirmed, sources said things look good enough that the studio has begun casting new characters that will appear in the picture.

It is big business for Disney, as the “Pirates” trilogy grossed $2.6 billion worldwide with Verbinski at the helm.
Sources say unless things break down at the last moment, Marshall will be steering the pirate vehicle’s next installment.

Marshall, who made his feature directing debut with the Oscar-winning musical “Chicago,” most recently completed another musical, “Nine,” which stars Daniel Day-Lewis, Penelope Cruz, Marion Cotillard, Judi Dench, Nicole Kidman, Kate Hudson and Sophia Loren.
The film will be released November 25 by The Weinstein Co.

newb
07-31-2009, 07:37 PM
still willing to give it a watch....something about Depp.....he can make a movie about paint drying and it will be watchable.

maybe I'm in love:o

X¤MurderDoll¤X
07-31-2009, 07:39 PM
September 24, 2008

Bruckheimer and Nicolas Cage announced a third 'National Treasure.'

what happened to you nick, you used to be cool. :(

X¤MurderDoll¤X
07-31-2009, 07:41 PM
still willing to give it a watch....something about Depp.....he can make a movie about paint drying and it will be watchable.

maybe I'm in love:o

you might be addicted.

I used to be addicted to johnny depp, I weened myself off it by substituting him with skeet ulrich and then I was able to stop completely.

http://www.booberfish.com/blog-img/skeet-ulrich-sternotomy-scar.jpg

newb
07-31-2009, 07:47 PM
you might be addicted.

I used to be addicted to johnny depp, I weened myself off it by substituting him with skeet ulrich and then I was able to stop completely.

sorry....ain't no substitution for The Real Thang.

holy shit...that sounded gay....I ain't...really....I gots 4 kids

Despare
07-31-2009, 07:49 PM
you might be addicted.

You just wanted somebody with a similar look and much less talent? Weird...

I love Depp's pictures, from the oddball films to the mainstream. What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Ed Wood, Dead Man, The Brave (which I own and LOVE), Lost in La Mancha, Edward Scissorhands... you name it, if it had Johnny Depp in it I liked it.

newb
07-31-2009, 07:51 PM

I love Depp's pictures, from the oddball films to the mainstream. What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Ed Wood, Dead Man, The Brave (which I own and LOVE), Lost in La Mancha, Edward Scissorhands... you name it, if it had Johnny Depp in it I liked it.

there ya go....I feel better

_____V_____
07-31-2009, 07:53 PM
there ya go....I feel better

From the multiple Depp images that went through your mind at the mention of each of those films?

Psht...you are still in love. Admit it. :D

newb
07-31-2009, 07:55 PM
From the multiple Depp images that went through your mind at the mention of each of those films?

Psht...you are still in love. Admit it. :D

not sure if its love......but I do appreciate his work.

cheebacheeba
07-31-2009, 11:15 PM
I loved the first one, but think the series has went downhill from there.
Hated the third all but for a few small scenes.
Either this will fix things a tad, or just be another shitty cash in.

X¤MurderDoll¤X
08-01-2009, 02:21 AM

you didn't even read my post, jerk. I guess you were too busy drinking in that skeet ulrich picture. ;)

urgeok2
08-01-2009, 04:19 AM
not a big depp fan myself ...

a couple of things he's done here and there i like but i wont run to see his films ....and certainly not this one - other than for my kid.

the pirates franchise should have ended at #1 - before it became a franchise.

cheebacheeba
08-01-2009, 07:31 AM
Yup, couldn't agree more...unless you were talking about the Matrix.

I USED TO like Depp, and still think he's a pretty good actor. All of these deliberately over the top characters Wonka/Captain Jack/surely the Mad Hatter will be another case, kind of just wear thin for me.
It's not as though he hasn't done "unusual" characters before in not such an annoying fashion; Edward Scissorhands, Benny & Joon etc, and I used to quite like his range of films, but nowdays I couldn't be bothered with much he does.
Might check out public enemies just to see a bit more of a serious character portrayal (hoping), but even then I'll more than likely wait for the dvd.

Posher778
08-01-2009, 11:28 AM
The 3rd ended up being my favorite. I think it took everything to a whole new direction, and the amount of twists and turns just made it feel more... Piratey.

_____V_____
10-07-2009, 07:58 PM
When it was announced at last month's D23 Expo that the fourth installment in Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean franchise would be subtitled On Stranger Tides, the Web was abuzz over whether the movie would be based on Tim Powers' 1988 pirate-themed fantasy novel On Stranger Tides or if it was just ripping off its title.

The Los Angeles Times spoke with Powers yesterday, who confirmed that Disney optioned the screen rights to his novel three years ago. Powers wasn't certain until last week whether he could even talk about the deal publicly.

"I've watched all the [Pirates] movies several times, of course, and I think the clear thing they would use is the trip to the Fountain of Youth," Powers told the paper. "My main character doesn't overlap with Jack Sparrow at all [in personality or circumstance]; they're totally different characters. I suppose they might overlap the Geoffrey Rush character Barbossa and Blackbeard. The only thing I feel certain they will hold on to is the Fountain of Youth since they telegraphed that at the end of the last movie."

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides is slated for a 2011 release.