PDA

View Full Version : The Flash

massacre man
07-16-2008, 06:48 AM
I was able to ask producer Charles Roven about the current status of the big screen adaptation of The Flash while I was at the press junket for The Dark Knight.

“We had hoped to be able to get a new draft going before the writers’ strike and we weren’t able to,” Roven admitted. “And since the writers’ strike, we just haven’t been able to find the right creative compatibility between what we’re looking for and a writer and you know, we’re a little bit dragging our feet, we’re just waiting to see what’s going to happen with this actor’s strike, you know.”

It has since been reported that DC is taking Warner Bros to task for the current state of their upcoming film properties, so it wouldn’t surprise me if the project is all of a sudden given the fast track.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/07/15/the-flash-still-in-development/

So, trying to start up a discussion, what would you like to see from the film, who should play him? All that jazz.

The_Return
07-16-2008, 06:58 AM
Even though I dont like him as an actor, I think Ryan Reynolds is pretty much the obvious choice. Too bad he's currently butchering Deadpool...

Honestly though, I dont see the need for a Flash movie. His villains are super, super lame. The only kind of cool one that I know of is a half-assed merge of Joker + Riddler. LAAAAAAAAAME

massacre man
07-16-2008, 07:26 AM
Even though I dont like him as an actor, I think Ryan Reynolds is pretty much the obvious choice. Too bad he's currently butchering Deadpool...

Honestly though, I dont see the need for a Flash movie. His villains are super, super lame. The only kind of cool one that I know of is a half-assed merge of Joker + Riddler. LAAAAAAAAAME

The villains were the problem I had. Maybe they can make up one or something.

Since Ryan Reynolds probably won't do it (I didn't really want him to either), my choice would be Doogie fuckin' Howser. He did his voice on New Frontier.

The_Return
07-16-2008, 07:29 AM
The villains were the problem I had. Maybe they can make up one or something.

Since Ryan Reynolds probably won't do it (I didn't really want him to either), my choice would be Doogie fuckin' Howser. He did his voice on New Frontier.

I think that would just turn the whole movie into a joke, courtesy of Harold and Kumar. I doubt that he'll ever be taken seriously again, hah.

massacre man
07-16-2008, 08:55 AM
I doubt that he'll ever be taken seriously again, hah.

It's The Flash...

The_Return
07-16-2008, 09:22 AM
It's The Flash...

Damn you and your good points!

massacre man
02-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Oh my. I can't believe nobody thought of this before. :D

Ready for a wild rumor? How about Neil Patrick Harris being pursued to play DC comic book superhero The Flash? The last we had heard, Ryan Reynolds was in the running (get it?) for the role, but with the upcoming Wolverine movie it seems like his superhero destiny may be tied up as Deadpool.

But this, if true, is pretty much out of left field.

The Flash has been on again, off again and now on again with the recent addition of a screenwriter. We first mentioned it back in 2004 when David Goyer was supposedly going to write the script (he went on to write a little movie you may have heard of: The Dark Knight). Then there was nothing heard for three years until the announcement that Goyer was not writing the movie, but that Shawn Levy was attached to direct, then comedy director David Dobkin. That news quietly faded away and nothing was heard until earlier this month, when word surfaced that Dan Mazeau was attached to write the screenplay.

Now comes possible “insider” news that Neil Patrick Harris and possibly Scott Porter (according to ThinkMcFlyThink.com) are being looked at to play the Scarlet Speedster. Scott played the young Rex Racer in Speed Racer and has a recurring role on Friday Night Lights.

And of course who doesn’t know who Neil Patrick Harris is? For a 35 year old guy, he seems like he’s been around forever… starting out years ago as Doogie Howser, M.D. and then appearing in Starship Troopers (yes, he was in that). After that he bounced around doing one-shot appearances in TV episodes and a lot of cartoon voiceover work including Justice League and Spider-Man.

But what brought him back into popularity was his wild character in Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle, which led to a leading role on the sitcom How I Met Your Mother.

Anyway, it’ll be interesting to see if this pans out - no doubt he could pull it off if he buffed up and I think he’s got the acting chops to do it.

Again, keep in mind this is FAR from confirmed - but what do you think about the possibility of Neil Patrick Harris as The Flash?

http://screenrant.com/the-flash-neil-patrick-harris-vic-5435/

fuglystick
02-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Oh my. I can't believe nobody thought of this before. :D

Ready for a wild rumor? How about Neil Patrick Harris being pursued to play DC comic book superhero The Flash? The last we had heard, Ryan Reynolds was in the running (get it?) for the role, but with the upcoming Wolverine movie it seems like his superhero destiny may be tied up as Deadpool.

But this, if true, is pretty much out of left field.

The Flash has been on again, off again and now on again with the recent addition of a screenwriter. We first mentioned it back in 2004 when David Goyer was supposedly going to write the script (he went on to write a little movie you may have heard of: The Dark Knight). Then there was nothing heard for three years until the announcement that Goyer was not writing the movie, but that Shawn Levy was attached to direct, then comedy director David Dobkin. That news quietly faded away and nothing was heard until earlier this month, when word surfaced that Dan Mazeau was attached to write the screenplay.

Now comes possible “insider” news that Neil Patrick Harris and possibly Scott Porter (according to ThinkMcFlyThink.com) are being looked at to play the Scarlet Speedster. Scott played the young Rex Racer in Speed Racer and has a recurring role on Friday Night Lights.

And of course who doesn’t know who Neil Patrick Harris is? For a 35 year old guy, he seems like he’s been around forever… starting out years ago as Doogie Howser, M.D. and then appearing in Starship Troopers (yes, he was in that). After that he bounced around doing one-shot appearances in TV episodes and a lot of cartoon voiceover work including Justice League and Spider-Man.

But what brought him back into popularity was his wild character in Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle, which led to a leading role on the sitcom How I Met Your Mother.

Anyway, it’ll be interesting to see if this pans out - no doubt he could pull it off if he buffed up and I think he’s got the acting chops to do it.

Again, keep in mind this is FAR from confirmed - but what do you think about the possibility of Neil Patrick Harris as The Flash?

http://screenrant.com/the-flash-neil-patrick-harris-vic-5435/
The Flash will actually be pretty tricky. It will probably have to take the tone of the Spiderman films, which can quickly turn into camp if not handled well.

Casting NPH doesn't automatically designate the film as camp, either. He's a good actor, and I think he'd pull it off.

neverending
02-10-2009, 06:21 PM
The Flash TV show was excellent, and was played straight. It can be done.

_____V_____
10-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Curious to know how the recent shake-up over at Warner Bros. and DC might have affected some of your favorite, most anticipated film properties?

Well, IGN recently had the chance to catch up with The Dark Knight producer Charles Roven whose attachment to a feature version of The Flash appears to be on the ropes.

"I was involved at one point with The Flash," said Roven. "And Warner Bros. came to me and said, 'The work that you've been doing hasn't yet resulted in something that any of us, including the filmmaking team, feel could be greenlit as a movie. We're trying to accomplish something that takes into account the entire, rich DC character world, and we'd like to pull it back. That doesn't mean that you aren't going to be a part of it. We just want to take a different kind of approach. Do you mind if we try that?' If we had something that was really working…"

"Like, for example, they had something that was more or less working for them on Green Lantern, and now you have Martin Campbell directing it…But we didn't," Roven continued. "The David Goyer screenplay, that didn't work. Goyer left the project. We then embarked with David Dobkin, trying to come up with another approach. We hadn't even hired a writer at that point. So for us, we completely understood. I've been making movies with Warner Bros. for 15 years, so that was fine, but I hope one day there's a way for me to get re-involved in the project. "

None of which is to say that The Flash has been permanently hobbled, only that Roven's involvement is currently uncertain.

massacre man
10-05-2009, 09:24 PM
Geoff Johns has supposedly written an outline for the screenplay. That definitely points toward the possibility that the movie will be about Barry (:D). I just hope that he doesn't incorporate the whole Zoom killing Barry's mother thing he's doing in Rebirth. I wonder who the villain could be. Captain Cold, Mirror Master, Weather Wizard?

I hope I'm not the only one that knows what I'm talking about.

The_Return
10-06-2009, 03:34 AM
Geoff Johns has supposedly written an outline for the screenplay. That definitely points toward the possibility that the movie will be about Barry (:D). I just hope that he doesn't incorporate the whole Zoom killing Barry's mother thing he's doing in Rebirth. I wonder who the villain could be. Captain Cold, Mirror Master, Weather Wizard?

I hope I'm not the only one that knows what I'm talking about.

Honestly, IMO Flash probably has one of the lamest rogues galleries out there - no matter who they use it would need some serious tweaking.

Mirror Master could work if they made him slightly less corny...same with Cold. Trickster would be my top pick, but he could be too Joker-ish.

We'll have to see.

massacre man
10-06-2009, 07:13 AM
I'd like Professor Zoom or Heat Wave.

But Johns is supposed to do a Flash: Secret Origin that includes the start of The Rogues and I imagine he'll make them more badass, as he did with the new Black Hand origin in Green Lantern.

_____V_____
10-07-2009, 09:05 AM
The film's current screenwriter, Dan Mazeau, revealed recently on the project's current status. "Just to chime in on the latest rumors: The Flash has not been hobbled. Everything is moving forward as planned," Mazeau explained. "I'm still writing the script. Geoff Johns is still consulting. Flash fans have no cause for concern, and -- IMO -- lots to be excited about."

Flash fans, take a long breath of relief.

massacre man
10-07-2009, 09:09 AM
Flash fans, take a long breath of relief.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhh... hhhhhh. :)

Despare
10-07-2009, 09:11 AM
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ChroniclesofMoeniaArcis/news/?a=6350

There's a site with a wish list of sorts for villains and the actors who could play them. Personally I dug the short lived TV show, I don't remember it having any villains though.

massacre man
10-07-2009, 10:17 AM
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ChroniclesofMoeniaArcis/news/?a=6350

There's a site with a wish list of sorts for villains and the actors who could play them. Personally I dug the short lived TV show, I don't remember it having any villains though.

It had The Trickster, Captain Cold and Mirror Master, but that was just a nickname.