PDA

View Full Version : Alright I'll Admit It, Clive Barker Owns

Arioch
01-23-2004, 12:18 PM
After not liking much of his movies (hellraiser series, lord of illusions, etc) but needing a new horror writer to read. I picked up the books of blood (volumes 1-3) and must say, now that im almost done with the first volume. He really does own. I really enjoy his writing style and the poetic flow of his literacy. He genuinly disturbed me a few times. Great recommendation guys thx.

bloodrayne
01-23-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Arioch
After not liking much of his movies (hellraiser series, lord of illusions, etc) but needing a new horror writer to read. I picked up the books of blood (volumes 1-3) and must say, now that im almost done with the first volume. He really does own. I really enjoy his writing style and the poetic flow of his literacy. He genuinly disturbed me a few times. Great recommendation guys thx.

I knew you'd love "Books of Blood"...;) I'm really glad you decided to give Barker a chance...For the record...I personally didn't care for "Sacrament"...Too far afield for me...Just my opinion...:)

avenger00soul
01-23-2004, 01:13 PM
Good to hear Arioch.

heapodd
01-26-2004, 09:24 AM
I'm convinced and will be making a trip to my local bookshop in the next few days. For the novice to C.B., what do you suggest I start with - 'The Books of Blood' or something else? A few suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers

avenger00soul
01-26-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by heapodd
I'm convinced and will be making a trip to my local bookshop in the next few days. For the novice to C.B., what do you suggest I start with - 'The Books of Blood' or something else? A few suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers

I'd start off with The Books of Blood, The Inhuman Condition, Cabal, or The Hellbound Heart.

bloodrayne
02-03-2004, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by avenger00soul
I'd start off with The Books of Blood, The Inhuman Condition, Cabal, or The Hellbound Heart.

Damn...Took the words right out of my head...again:)

sleepaway
02-04-2004, 03:03 AM
My whole family were obsessed with Cabal when it was first published! And I really liked Coldheart Canyon but I don't think many others did.

dabruce16
02-08-2004, 09:10 PM
the thief of always is one of teh best books i have ever read. give that one a shot, it might not be as gruesome as most of his stuff, but regardless it is a great read.

Egekrusher
02-10-2004, 09:13 AM
My all time favorite book is Imajica. Everyone should read this book.

horrorfellow
03-10-2004, 11:56 AM
Books of Blood natch, but as I recall The Great and Secret Show was a wild trip!

brownzombie
03-31-2004, 12:44 PM
I liked Coldheart Canyon

Cerberus
04-01-2004, 11:41 PM
It's too bad that some of his better books weren't made into movies

abbycomix
04-05-2004, 01:54 PM
I liked Coldheart Canyon and just read Books of Blood, I thought it was great! Hellbound Heart was my first by him and I think its a good intro to Clive.

Randall_Flagg
04-06-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by sleepaway
My whole family were obsessed with Cabal when it was first published! And I really liked Coldheart Canyon but I don't think many others did.

I loved 'Coldheart Canyon', but my favourite will always be 'Weaveworld'

What a story!

bloodrayne
04-11-2004, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Randall_Flagg
I loved 'Coldheart Canyon', but my favourite will always be 'Weaveworld'

What a story! I just gave Weaveworld to my guy...I hope he likes it as much as you did:)

bloodrayne
04-11-2004, 01:07 AM
BTW...Has anyone read "Forms Of Heaven"?...It contains 3 screenplays written by Barker...It's a little difficult to find

jay o2 waster
05-02-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Arioch

Clive barker does own though

zwoti
05-02-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by bloodrayne
BTW...Has anyone read "Forms Of Heaven"?...It contains 3 screenplays written by Barker...It's a little difficult to find

just one of my autographed collection....my fav would be subtle bodies but i'm biased towards the books of the art.

have you read incarnations?

bloodrayne
05-02-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by zwoti
just one of my autographed collection....my fav would be subtle bodies but i'm biased towards the books of the art.

have you read incarnations?
My that IS impressive...And yes, I have read it.....Colossus...Frankenstein in Love...The History of The Devil (more like "Dark Humor", with the Devil on trial), this one was excellent...The first two were a bit lacking

zwoti
05-02-2004, 11:48 AM
another good book to read is shadows of eden. it traces clive's life back through his days with the dog company.

Arioch
05-20-2004, 05:47 PM
I lost my Books of Blood, and i was 2 short stories from finishing all 3 of them....:(