PDA

View Full Version : Technology Evolution

Dante'sInferno
05-20-2008, 03:53 PM
Computers,Internet,Vinyl,Casettes,CD's,Ipods,ipod touch,VHS's,DVD's,Blu-Ray DVD's.

Just some of the things we love today.This is a discussion for about any technology you can think of.My favorite being,DVD's and The Internet.Also MP3's.

newb
05-20-2008, 04:02 PM
meh....I won't be impressed until they actually invent "The Orgasmatron"

http://davidszondy.com/future/Dystopias/orgasmatron.jpg

Vodstok
05-20-2008, 04:05 PM
i love computers. i live in them.

The_Return
05-20-2008, 04:05 PM
The internet amazes me...probably the most important innovation of the last 30 years.

neverending
05-20-2008, 04:40 PM
When I was young one of the big concepts in science fiction was "the universal library" - a repository of ALL of humankind's knowledge, arts and thought. It would be accessable by everyone and would bring about a great renaissance.

With the internet, we're getting close- you still can't find EVERYTHING on the internet and of course it's only available to those who can afford it. We're getting closer, though.

ChronoGrl
05-20-2008, 04:46 PM

I heart early Woody Allen.

I would also settle for the machine that Robert Duvall is hooked up to at the beginning of THX 1138.

Other technology that I would like to see:

Jet packs
Teleportation

Vodstok
05-20-2008, 04:47 PM
When I was young one of the big concepts in science fiction was "the universal library" - a repository of ALL of humankind's knowledge, arts and thought. It would be accessable by everyone and would bring about a great renaissance.

With the internet, we're getting close- you still can't find EVERYTHING on the internet and of course it's only available to those who can afford it. We're getting closer, though.
even better than just the internet, Wikipedia is making the universal library concept a reality. they are literally trying to catalogue and quantify everything.

newb
05-20-2008, 04:50 PM
I heart early Woody Allen.

I would also settle for the machine that Robert Duvall is hooked up to at the beginning of THX 1138.

Jet packs
Teleportation

if we had "teleportation" we wouldn't need "jet packs"

although they would be fun

http://www.sillyart.com/images/people/animated/jetpack.gif

Disease
05-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Computers,Internet,Vinyl,Casettes,CD's,Ipods,ipod touch,VHS's,DVD's,Blu-Ray DVD's.

Just some of the things we love today.This is a discussion for about any technology you can think of.My favorite being,DVD's and The Internet.Also MP3's.

You love DVD's so much you gotta say it twice.

Vodstok
05-20-2008, 04:54 PM
if we had "teleportation" we wouldn't need "jet packs"

although they would be fun

http://www.sillyart.com/images/people/animated/jetpack.gif

that is like saying "we have space shuttles, who needs busses?"

I imagine only the wealthy will be using teleportation for years after its advent. Let them turn into insect hybrids before they get the bugs worked out :D

(no pun intended)

newb
05-20-2008, 04:58 PM

not really....they don't travel in the same atmosphere....I would never take a space shuttle downtown to do some shopping....thats just silly.

silly like zero using a jet pack

http://www.1877luvjunk.com/images/monkey_jet_pack_hg_clr.gif

Dante'sInferno
05-20-2008, 04:59 PM
not really....they don't travel in the same atmosphere....I would never take a space shuttle downtown to do some shopping....thats just silly.

silly like zero using a jet pack

http://www.1877luvjunk.com/images/monkey_jet_pack_hg_clr.gifFlying Crap Flingers!

:D

ChronoGrl
05-20-2008, 05:11 PM

I imagine only the wealthy will be using teleportation for years after its advent. Let them turn into insect hybrids before they get the bugs worked out :D

(no pun intended)

EXACTLY.

What about the common people?

Elitist.

novakru
05-20-2008, 05:19 PM
Does anyone know why my iPod keeps losing my songs and entire albums?
It's all backed up twice on my computer, I have never lost anything I downloaded there, but when I sync, it always removes something and now it won't even DL podcasts.
It stopped allowing Movies, videos, TV shows- 3 months ago.

(I have a 3rd(?) generation 8gb nano)

I bought 5 songs last night, it only downloaded 2 and wiped out an entire album.
I already asked someone to help and I did the suggestions I was emailed but no go.
If someone knows what I am talking about, I would really appreciate a suggestion.

Freak
05-20-2008, 05:25 PM
Do you think time travel will ever become a reality?

novakru
05-20-2008, 05:39 PM

I really REALLY hope not.
You see the idiots that run our world??

neverending
05-20-2008, 05:42 PM

No- or it would already be here.

GorePhobia
05-20-2008, 05:57 PM
I don't think I'd really be able to live without the internet to be honest.

That's all I do with my life really.

Dude Guadalupe
05-20-2008, 06:00 PM

Jet packs
Teleportation

Those are bad ideas

the jet pack for it's ability to turn your legs into BBQ

Teleportation kills you (a bunch of times), if you step into a teleporter you don't just get spit out on the other end, it has to assemble the particles of you. It would be easier just to assemble random particles out of the air rather than disassemble and reassemble the same ones. So what happens to the you in the first teleporter? You die. The new you has all the memories as before but the original you is dead. It would happen every time you use one.

Or not. What the hell do I know?

GorePhobia
05-20-2008, 06:04 PM
I think you watched "The Prestige" one to many times.

Dude Guadalupe
05-20-2008, 06:14 PM
I think you watched "The Prestige" one to many times.

Actually, I don't know if I've seen that one or not.

GorePhobia
05-20-2008, 06:20 PM
Oh hmmmm I suggest you check it out. It's pretty sweet.

It has Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Scarlett Johannson, and David Bowie in it and it is about two rival magicians.

Dude Guadalupe
05-20-2008, 06:23 PM
Oh hmmmm I suggest you check it out. It's pretty sweet.

It has Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Scarlett Johannson, and David Bowie in it and it is about two rival magicians.

I guess I'll have to look into that

pinkfloyd45769
05-20-2008, 06:31 PM
I love all of the "fun" technology and i love that everyday it seems there is something even better.I am amazed at the life saving technology though,.I think its great that we so many options for medical problems,things that were once life threating are simple now.I know people who have had heart surgery that think it was nothing compared to what people 10 years ago had to deal with.It kinda feels like we are safer with the tech that doctors have to work with today.
........i love the internet,without it we wouldn't have HDC,and all of you great people.<3

massacre man
05-20-2008, 06:53 PM

I don't think it will look like that.

http://www.orgazmomovie.com/orgazmo-dvd-cover.jpg

ManchestrMorgue
05-20-2008, 07:27 PM
I'm a bit of a technology addict. It keeps me poor.

Vodstok
05-21-2008, 03:34 AM
I love the potential of technology. I have long held that the industrial revolution was the beginning of "dirty" technology, that consumed from the earth and began to kill it, but it is a necesarry evil, and is (and i was correct about this 10 years ago) moving more towards harmony with nature. with hydrogen cell technology, the ability to use corn to make poklymers, and nanotechnology (not to mention advances in energy like state of the art windmills and the newer version of tidal energy), we are getting better technology without the same environmental impact.

If things continue to make the positive advances it has been, things will get better. Plus, bush is almost out of office. That is good for everyone.

urgeok2
05-21-2008, 05:20 AM
the internet is indeed the biggest technological advancement i've seen in my lifetime. tied to this is computers of course ... and mp3's, downloadable movies, etc.

i think my PSP is the coolest bit of technology i've bought - probably ever.

what i'd like to see in the future is true virtual reality - and the ability to transplant your brain into younger bodies.

(and a way to keep the brain from degrading - because there would be nothing more pathetic to be senile in a young body ... telling those awful jokes to waitresses, writing letters to the editor everytime someone walked on your lawn ...etc

ferretchucker
05-21-2008, 08:10 AM
Who need MP3?

MP4

Vodstok
05-21-2008, 09:56 AM
the internet is indeed the biggest technological advancement i've seen in my lifetime. tied to this is computers of course ... and mp3's, downloadable movies, etc.

i think my PSP is the coolest bit of technology i've bought - probably ever.

what i'd like to see in the future is true virtual reality - and the ability to transplant your brain into younger bodies.

(and a way to keep the brain from degrading - because there would be nothing more pathetic to be senile in a young body ... telling those awful jokes to waitresses, writing letters to the editor everytime someone walked on your lawn ...etc
im thinking by the time we have that technology, we will also be able to back up our brains to a hard drive, so it owuld be a simple upload, download, just like moving files and profile from an old computer to a new one.

I saw something severla years ago where they were actually trying to record skills, so in effect, you could actually learn how to fly a helicopter or martial arts, a-la the matrix.

the catch there is that they would need to make sure they include the discipline that comes with that knowledge, kind of "memory copyright protection". it owuld be frightneing for a bunch of criminals to upload the skills of say a master martial artist and the weapons skills of a navy seal, and none o fth esafety catches that people who achieve that level of skill usually have.

ferretchucker
05-21-2008, 10:24 AM
I say if you don't work for it, you shouldn't have it.

No uploadable skills please.

Vodstok
05-21-2008, 10:30 AM
i think that would fall into the same grey area as cloning, where it would be too much of a moral issue to ever gain a foothold.

ferretchucker
05-21-2008, 11:06 AM
I don't mind cloning. I think cloning could be amazing, especially if it were used for something like making children for people who had nobody else willing to have a child with them, or simply couldn't have them,

What I don't like, is the inevitable that would come with that, is they would be treated as "Lesser" and would probably be used in wars etc, if it were possible to engineer the clone as an adult.

But I just think if you haven't worked for the skill, it isn't really a skill. You have to earn it to have the right to use it.

newb
05-21-2008, 11:11 AM
I'm all for cloning

just imagine.......a whole army of newbs.........what a wonderful world it would be.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v259/rockinmule/Newb3_3-1.jpg

Vodstok
05-21-2008, 06:35 PM
Thanks, i now have steely dan playing in my head.

_____V_____
05-22-2008, 04:13 AM
Re: Time travel - It isn't possible because Time is a basic human concept. It is not measurable because it isnt an entity in itself. People have argued that it MIGHT be possible, but if you take the cause/effect scenario into the equation, it pretty much negates the whole idea.

Even if the Earth started to spin backwards (ala Superman) it just isn't possible to revert time to an earlier date.

On the tech front, computers definitely. And cellphones, PSPs, iPods and smaller handheld devices...alongwith DVDs, Blu Ray, huge storage devices like big-capacity HDDs...

Nanotech has certainly taken gigantic strides in the past 10 years or so. It is a boom of sorts, and there's plenty more to follow. Being a tech geek myself, I am happy to lighten my wallet to the self-indulgences of the latest technology.

urgeok2
05-22-2008, 05:07 AM
they seem to have hit the wall as far as processing speed goes ... getting things smaller seems to be the focus now.

i'm sure the technology exixts to make a computer the size of a watch now (or soon) it's just cost prohibitive at this time

Abominus
05-22-2008, 05:15 AM
There are some seriously interesting articles around on quantum computers. Far above my understanding, but it could lead to leaps and bounds as far as processor speeds go.

Look up quantum computers and the use of qubits in computing.

Hurray for people smarter than me, they bring the fun.

Vodstok
05-22-2008, 05:38 AM
There are some seriously interesting articles around on quantum computers. Far above my understanding, but it could lead to leaps and bounds as far as processor speeds go.

Look up quantum computers and the use of qubits in computing.

Hurray for people smarter than me, they bring the fun.
quantum computers would be amazing. if they could perfect superconducting fluids, they could make computers whose processors never heat and process at the speed of light. Video games would be like the matrix.

I have read articles about quantum teleportation, where there are subatomic particles that are linked somehow, and distance seems to have no bearing on this link, so technically, you could have 2 particles in different galaxies, and what you do to one (make it black, flip it over) happens instantaneously regardless of distance. with that, you could, in effect, download a file from the andromeda galaxy instantly.

Mr. Grady
05-22-2008, 05:43 AM
Sounds like you're on your way to a pretty cool short story or manuscript, Vodstok. Keep going with that...

_____V_____
05-22-2008, 05:47 AM
they seem to have hit the wall as far as processing speed goes ... getting things smaller seems to be the focus now.

i'm sure the technology exixts to make a computer the size of a watch now (or soon) it's just cost prohibitive at this time

Very true.

But with dual core, Core 2 duo, Quad Core chips flooding the market, I am sure we will see a ground-breaking innovation in that field too.

Its just a matter of time...we will have a superchip with blazing processing speed soon.

Vodstok
05-22-2008, 06:05 AM
Very true.

But with dual core, Core 2 duo, Quad Core chips flooding the market, I am sure we will see a ground-breaking innovation in that field too.

Its just a matter of time...we will have a superchip with blazing processing speed soon.
intel particularly is looking into making spuer multicore chips: 32, 48, 64, 128 and even 256. the problem is that without applications that are designed to use the multiple processors, you can have a million 2.2 ghz processors, and it will only run on one, so no faster.

Intel is investing a ton in teaching programmers to write multithreaded scalable programs (that means it can change how many processors it can run on all by itself) to take advantage of the technology. If anyone has ever run a multithreaded program next to a single threaded version of the same thing (i have written a few), you would be amazed at the difference. maybe ill make a sample just so people can see.

They have hit a wall with the speed of the chips, with modern technology at least, so they are stacking them next to each other now. think of it this way, if you can have, maximum, 8 cylanders in an engine, do you figureout how to make the cylanders smaller, or do you stick another engine in the car?

novakru
05-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Whatever happened to those scientists ( I have no idea who exactly "those people" are)
working on quantum physics??

Abominus
05-26-2008, 04:44 AM
They're all here in Kitchener/Waterloo plotting to take over the world.