PDA

View Full Version : Laptops???

missmacabre
05-19-2008, 06:14 AM
Starting in September I will be taking a New Media Web Design course. it includes how to make web pages, using different applications like dreamweaver to do so, How to edit and create graphics using Photoshop and Corel Draw, aswell as making games and animations with Flash. After that course there is an optional year of programming and computer engineering.

I know there are some of you out there who do programming and web design, (Or even if you just know a lot obout computers.)

What should I be looking for in a laptop? Iknow I'll need a pretty huge flash drive, probably 4GB for moving my work once it's done, but what do I need to get to that point?

Please help me out, I don't want to spend my money on a computer I'll just have to upgrade the crap out of..... or would that be cheaper? I'm basically not getting anything from OSAP so this is all my hard earned money and I want to use it the best I can.

Ferox13
05-19-2008, 10:40 AM
None of those programs are that intensive really.

Are you talking about PC or MAc. Most graphic design courses/Graphic design agencies tend torwards using Macs.

Personally I used a PC but i was really in the minority when I was in college.

If you are going the PC , then most 'decent' laptops would work fine.

I'd get one with a seperate Graphics card though and if you're running vista I'd say go for 2gig of RAM.

I'd also get an external Hard drive too - these are very cheap these days.

Then all you need it the software and a nice optical mouse.

missmacabre
05-19-2008, 12:47 PM
I want a PC. I don't care who uses macs but I personally don't like them.

I plan to get a 2gig, aswell as a duo core processor because I'll most likely be running a few things at once. What kind of graphics card do you suggest? The laptop I'm looking at has an Nvidia Geforce graphics card. I've heard it'll do, but won't run WoW or anything. Since I'm no MMo fan, I couldn't care less anyway.

As for an optical mouse, I have a wacom tablet with a mouse that you can use. That will suffice, yes?

urgeok2
05-19-2008, 01:04 PM
what you should be looking for in a laptop ... is a desktop.

unless you have no alternative - because of space restrictions and/or travelling - i cant recommend laptops to anyone. i hate them.

i work in IT support and know 1st hand that laptops have an insane failure rate over deskops worse than 20 to one. the lifespan is 3 times longer too.

the harddrive isnt cooled enough and they fail like clockwork.

plus they cant be upgraded easily .. .the memory is more expensive, as are the harddrives, etc.

i could write a much longer note about this ... but it sounds liek you have your heart set on a laptop.

if you're doing graphics mainly - people always say get a mac.

if you're getting anything else you might as well get a dell.

missmacabre
05-19-2008, 06:27 PM
what you should be looking for in a laptop ... is a desktop.

unless you have no alternative - because of space restrictions and/or travelling - i cant recommend laptops to anyone. i hate them.

i work in IT support and know 1st hand that laptops have an insane failure rate over deskops worse than 20 to one. the lifespan is 3 times longer too.

the harddrive isnt cooled enough and they fail like clockwork.

plus they cant be upgraded easily .. .the memory is more expensive, as are the harddrives, etc.

i could write a much longer note about this ... but it sounds liek you have your heart set on a laptop.

if you're doing graphics mainly - people always say get a mac.

if you're getting anything else you might as well get a dell.

Yeah, Derek's laptop failed really quickly but I figured it was just because he plays a lot of games. I will look into getting a desktop, and maybe I can rent a laptop from the school. Some schools do that so I hope mine does. I just don't want to be stuck hand typing notes. I would definately like something I can upgrade so maybe a desktop is a better idea. Thanks Urge.

novakru
05-19-2008, 09:36 PM
Don't get a HP Pavilion dv6000:eek:

Ferox13
05-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Urg is correct.

I assumed you had to get a laptop.

I did my degree in Wales (Graphic Design) and because the travelling I had no choice. I did fine in with my laptop and it has way lower specs that anything you'll have now plus I was doing video editing on it too.

You'll pay a lot less for a more powerfull machine if you go the Desktop route - its also easier to upgrade and ends not to fuck up as much.

The I'd also try to as familarise your self with the Mac OS - if you intend to make a career in the Graphics field than 90% of the companies you will work for will you Apple gear. If you plan on going freelance than tis not such a problem.

That being said I work as a Designer and I use a PC but I could make the switch to Apple fairly quick.

As for the Graphics card - I'm not too familar with the latest specs on them - i have Nvidia Geforce graphics card.(and I used to play wow LOL) - but you just need to avoid a machine that has an on board Grpahics processor or shares the ram.

Also screen size - believe or not if you're working on large graphics - a laptop screen can get very cluttered and its a bit of a pain not seeing all the design at once (or a lot of it) - Hell I hate editing video on a single screen desktop never mind a Laptop....

Anyway best of luck and I'm sure you'll love it.

ManchestrMorgue
05-19-2008, 10:37 PM
A desktop is likely going to be cheaper and more reliable than a laptop for the reasons that the other guys mentioned. Basically, with a laptop you are stuffing a lot of the same gear (well not exactly - they tend to use lower power components etc, but close enough) as you would in a desktop, but it is jammed into a case with relatively poor airflow and heat dissipation.

However desktops are not portable. You can't take them to a lecture and type notes etc. You also can't use it at the library or to a friend's place.

Obviously the best way is to get a good desktop, and a lower-end laptop to do the things that you need portability for. This is what I have, but this is also the most expensive option.

As far as graphics cards go, for the type of things that you say you need it for, you don't need a very impressive graphics card. The higher end graphics cards benefit from mainly improved 3D graphics capabilities. Just don't get on-board graphics because this uses system memory for its graphics.

If you don't want to play games, then something like the 8600 series from NVidia (they have desktop and laptop versions) would be fine. If you want to play games, try the 8800GT if you go desktop. Good performance, but quite inexpensive.

Get at least 2 gigs of memory if you are going Vista. If you plan to use Photoshop intensively (several large photos open at once), 4 gigs wouldn't go astray (and memory is really cheap now).

Ferox13
05-19-2008, 11:30 PM
If you plan to use Photoshop intensively (several large photos open at once), 4 gigs wouldn't go astray (and memory is really cheap now).

Can a 32 bit Vista machine see 4 gigs of Ram?

I'm sure 2gigs would be fine - I've never had trouble with that in photoshop and since its a Webdesign course, the graphics will be at screen res not 300 dpi.

ManchestrMorgue
05-20-2008, 12:35 AM
Yeah a 32 bit Vista machine can address 4 gigs of RAM. But that is 4 gigs in total. So graphics card etc will mean that of system RAM you won't see the whole 4 gigs. Probably 3-point-something.

But I agree, you don't need more than 2 gigs for most things. But if you have multiple apps open at once or work with several large photos, you can exceed 2 gigs. And an extra 2 gigs for a desktop costs what? $30?

missmacabre
05-20-2008, 07:05 AM
Okay so I am definately getting a desktop now haha
I'll be working part time during school so if I get a desktop now, then pay tuition, buy books etc. whatever is leftover is going towards a cheap laptop for note taking and working on the go. I don't really need a great graphics card because I don't game a lot (although Derek's trying to get me hooked on WoW.)

As for the MacOS. I've tried using it, and I know how but I just don't like it. I'm too used to Windows. Thanks everyone. :)

Ferox13
05-20-2008, 07:10 AM
Cool - best of luck

(although Derek's trying to get me hooked on WoW.)

yeah don't try honest just say no :p

PSF
05-20-2008, 11:01 AM
Good choice...

I have an advent laptop and it sucks.... the sound has never worked and the IT guys said that i'd have to reinstall everything or something like that and I cba with the hassle. Although I don't know that much about computers, so i could just be unlucky...

Vodstok
05-20-2008, 03:28 PM
I have an alienware laptop, and I love it. However, i would caution against them because i have had this thing in the shop three times and i am going on a fourth.

I do web developement and programming, my machine has 400 gig hard drive, though i do most of my work on a 4 gig flash drive. i also have a 1 tb backup to be safe. i typically have 1 or 2 virtual machines running, remote desktop or two to company owned servers, several browser windows, several instances of visual studio, bittorrent (downloading iron chefs) and usually playing a movie or show. that is with a 2.2 ghz amd 64 and gigs of ram and vista ultimate.

Screw macs, pc performance is so ridiculously high these days that the performance advatage that macs had in the past is negligible, plus a lot of the companies that produced mac only software make it for the pc these days too.

PLus, in recent years, macs have started getting targeted with spyware and viruses. so as much as i like justin long, he can stick his one sided mac commercials up his ass.

Ferox13
05-20-2008, 09:48 PM
Screw macs, pc performance is so ridiculously high these days that the performance advatage that macs had in the past is negligible, plus a lot of the companies that produced mac only software make it for the pc these days too.

The reason I mentioned Macs wasn't to do with which was a better machine but the fact that if you are working for a Design company the majotity of them use Macs (well at least here in Europe but i've got the same impression from Americans I've talked to).

Personally, I use a PC bu I'm a graphic designer in a TV station not in a Grpahic Design company and I pretty much can use what i want...All Vodstok says about performance of PC vs Mac is true.

Vodstok - do u work fom home or an office enviroment?

Vodstok
05-21-2008, 03:28 AM
The reason I mentioned Macs wasn't to do with which was a better machine but the fact that if you are working for a Design company the majotity of them use Macs (well at least here in Europe but i've got the same impression from Americans I've talked to).

Honestly, i just saw an opportunity to take a jab at macs and ran with it :D

Personally, I use a PC bu I'm a graphic designer in a TV station not in a Grpahic Design company and I pretty much can use what i want...All Vodstok says about performance of PC vs Mac is true.

Vodstok - do u work fom home or an office enviroment?
home. we dont have a lot of room, so having a laptop lets me work in the bedroom, living room, kitchen wherever i need to be. the 17" widescreen makes it easy to look at. great gaming machine too :)

I worked in an office for 5 years, now i have spent 2 working from home.