PDA

View Full Version : Pavlov's Radio

urgeok2
05-14-2008, 11:17 AM
This is an old subject - probably done before - I've definately had the discussion with friends about it many times ..

Are there some songs that trigger in you some very clear memories/images/emotions from a very particular time and place.

specific things - not just 'such and such a song makes me sad' but something that acts as a time machine to a place so clearly you suddenly remember it as if it was yesterday ?

I just heard one for me - which made me think of this - and i have a few others ..

- Elton John - Benny and the Jets. took me back to when i was 13.
it's autumn, i have a crush on Janet Flickweert and i'm starting to get those scary but cool unfamiliar feelings that come from the awakening awareness that there is something exciting about girls. not sexual yet - but right on the cusp. I don't remember why this song is so strongly associated with those feelings - but it came to me in a rush with the opening notes (and canned applause that starts the song)

- Paul Simon - Kodachrome. i hear this song and I'm 12, sitting in the tree fort i built on the farm we had for one brief year. I can see the tree fort clearly - and even smell the old books and comics i kept in it (that the mice ate)

- Echo and the Bunnymen - The Cutter - I hear this song and i can taste a bagel with liver pate and thinly sliced Havarti cheese on it. I bought it visiting my girlfriend in university and while there i bought a bunch of albums. i listened to this one when i returned home - and was eating the food mentioned above before going into work on the midnight shift.

i have others that remind me of certain people .. i'm just wondering if anyone else has stronger associations - specific ones like mine ?

Mr. Grady
05-14-2008, 11:34 AM
Oh yeah - lot's of these. I can't always remember the specific songs, but older adult contemporary will trigger flashes of memory being in the back seat of my parent's car when they had the radio on. I wasn't even big enough to see over the seats nor out the window very well. The green vinyl interior of the Pontiac is as clear as day.

Synchronicity, from the Police. I'm a high school teenager out in Toronto Canada on a class trip. Feels hip & free to be away from oversight in a large metropolitan area with the headphones on- a steady breeze is in the air - I can feel it under the right circumstances - headphones help.

Post College post-breakup depression. She left me & moved to the big city. Elvis Costello has me wallowing in the self-pity for at least a month. Many of those songs put me right into the same emotional state - but at least now I don't have to stay in it.

Smells are even stronger triggers than music. In college I conducted an interview with Anthony Kiedis from the Red Hot Chili Peppers. He stood about 2inches from my face, and the smell of Marlboro reds was so intense that I had a strong flashback to my childhood, feeling face to face with my enormous and tremendously intimidating grandfather. The sensation was so strong I actually got disoriented and had some difficulty speaking for about 30 seconds (an eternity for bigmouths like me)...back from the dead to frighten me one last time. Whoa...

Doc Faustus
05-14-2008, 11:44 AM
Van Morrison, Into the Mystic- It's right out of some piece of shit Sundance Channel movie. It's three days til graduation. My best buddy and I have just stayed at Denny's til 1 am talking with friends. We're scared to death about the future and this song kicks on. He coasts along, but then swerves the car to avoid hitting something blurry. A coyote's just crossed our path. He asks "what does a coyote mean?" because I've always been the one who reads dreams and omens. I tell him "don't get fooled. Don't stray." He stays and smokes an eighth a day. I go off to school. We end up never talking again because there doesn't look like there's anybody underneath the fog of pot smoke. I miss him every time I hear that song. I can't help but think of high school and coyotes.

pinkfloyd45769
05-14-2008, 06:30 PM
It happens to me all the time.Incubus takes me right into the situation so deep that i can even hear the conversation that was going on at the vey second.I love when it happens,ahhhhhhh...the good old days:)

Dude Guadalupe
05-14-2008, 11:37 PM
My whole life has been dominated by music so I got a few.

Beloved by VNV Nation - As much as I hate the clubby unn tss unn tss shit, it was the first song Rayne and I ever danced to and it gave me a new respect for VNV Nation, I think I will always remember it.

Cruelty Brought Thee Orchids by Cradle of Filth - I can't remember exactly my age at the time but everything else is clear. My two cousins and I were driving down some country road after coming from a chinese restaurant. We were on our way to a movie. My one cousin puts in the Cruelty and the Beast cd and played this track. I remember thinking "Jesus Christ, this is amazing." Been hooked on CoF ever since.

I Love the Dead by Alice Cooper - I was little and my Uncle had gotten me a concert video from the constrictor tour. I remember sitting so close to the tv that my nose was almost touching it, and when Alice put his head in the guillotine everything changed for me. I think it was at that point I really started to appreciate the darker stuff and theatrics.

That's enough for now I think.

Elvis_Christ
05-15-2008, 01:16 AM
Judas Priest's tune Victim Of Changes reminds me of a pretty dark period of my life.

urgeok2
05-15-2008, 05:19 AM
there is another song i cant listen to by a canadian band - cant remember the name of the band or song but it was grungy - and the lyrics were something like : "whatever comes and goes now"

if i do hear the song - i'm suddenly transported back 15 years or so ago - when i was sitting in a theatre waiting to see the advance screening of Tank Girl, but all i could think about was my cat that just died (that i had for over 10 years)

newb
05-15-2008, 07:54 AM
I can't name any specific dates or events [ beer killed too many brain cells for that] but there are songs that bring to mind time periods in my life. Such as America's "Horse With No Name" always brings me back to my early teen years or everytime I hear Harry Nilsson's "Jump Into The Fire" I think of seeing the movie "Son Of Dracula" with Nilsson and Ringo Starr at the drive-ins.[ hmmm...I guess I do remember an event]

ahhhhh....good ole care-free times

illdojo
05-15-2008, 09:27 AM
"Three Days" - Jane's Addiction.....When I here that song I have Acid flashbacks and think of High School.

"Hybrid Moments" - The Misfits.....Reminds me of Jr. High and when I discovered Punk Rock @ the age of 13.

"Angel of Death" - Slayer.....When I was 15... I was @ the SK8 park and dropped in on a 10ft. vert ramp and hit the bottom of the ramp and it knocked me out. While I was knocked out I could hear that song playing over the speakers.

PhilmPhanMan
05-15-2008, 09:55 AM
Interesting
I was thinking that I was an old geezer among mostly all very young, very cool people. me thinks I got it wrong. From what I am reading in this thread there are members here easily in their 40s. I'm 45. How old is everyone?

newb
05-15-2008, 11:14 AM
Interesting
I was thinking that I was an old geezer among mostly all very young, very cool people. me thinks I got it wrong. From what I am reading in this thread there are members here easily in their 40s. I'm 45. How old is everyone?

45...you old fart;)

urgeok2
05-15-2008, 11:20 AM

neverending
05-15-2008, 11:21 AM
I'll venture to say I'm the 2nd oldest one who haunts these forums.

You'll have to look elsewhere for the very young, very cool people.

newb
05-15-2008, 11:26 AM
45...you old fart;)

I didn't mean to say that I was 45.......I'm a mere couple of weeks away from the BIG one.

urgeok2
05-15-2008, 11:58 AM
besides .. young people arent cool..

they just have less wrinkles

PhilmPhanMan
05-15-2008, 12:40 PM
I'll venture to say I'm the 2nd oldest one who haunts these forums.

You'll have to look elsewhere for the very young, very cool people.

The way I see it if you're old or young & into horror, you have good taste in subversive art. So bottom line, we're all cool!!
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r31/heavyevidence/Hand_with_reflecting_globe.jpg

...actually, it's just good to know I'm not the only one that refuses to conform to the pathetic level of that dreaded social creature known as the

"responsible adult"

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r31/heavyevidence/preacher.gif

urgeok2
05-15-2008, 01:18 PM
...actually, it's just good to know I'm not the only one that refuses to conform to the pathetic level of that dreaded social creature known as the

"responsible adult"

i'm extremely responsible.
i have a job and a family - what else could i be without being a royal social fuck-up ?

i think the person you're really trying to describe is "uptight boring old person"
(which is just an uptight boring young person who got older)

novakru
05-15-2008, 05:22 PM
DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince " Summertime".
I cannot describe the feelings that song brings in me