PDA

View Full Version : Time to Brag

The_Return
05-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Ok, so I try my best to be a modest person - I really do - but today I just have to blow my own horn.

As many of you know, I'm deeply involved in theatre. Acting is my #1 passion, but I've recently caught the directing bug as well. This weekend, I took the first play that I've directed - a production of William Mastrosimone's "Bang Bang You're Dead" - to the New Brunswick Provincial Competitive High School DramaFest. Schools from across the province come and present plays of all shapes and sizes over the course of 4 days...its a huge event. As well as directing, I also took it upon myself to play the lead role, which made for twice as much work.

We had tons of hardships leading up to the show...cast members dropping out, teachers threatening to pull the plug, cast members who didn't know all their lines (myself included)...it was a hard road, but damn did it pay off.

We performed on Saturday morning to a packed auditorium. It was a small theatre - would only have held about 100-150 people, but still. Right from the start, the show went better than it ever did in rehearsals...the entire cast of 11 was in top form and we all gave the performances of our lives.

When the lights came up after our curtain call for the adjudicators to give a public evaluation of the show, I saw that there were very, very few people in the audience with dry eyes. It's a play that has the potential to be incredibly moving, and judging by the amount of tears that I saw, we more than pulled it off.

Well, the judges LOVED us - they gave us a few little picky notes of stuff to improve for next time we perform it, but they really couldn't find any negative points.

The award ceremony was later that day.I unfortunately couldn't be there as I had to be in another play that afternoon, but suffice to say: we cleaned up.

I personally won awards for Outstanding Lead Actor, Outstanding Student Director, and Outstanding Choice of Material. My entire cast won a Special Adjudicators Mention for Outstanding Ensemble Work and Outstanding Use of Set. My stage manager / lighting girl won for Outstanding Lighting, plus a special award from the Tech Director of the festival for her professionalism, which is one of the biggest awards that they give out.

I also won something else...the Alvin Shaw Award, which is given to the student who they think shows "the most professional potential". It consists of $250 cash-in-hand, plus a $1000 scholarship to the University that hosts the festival (St. Thomas University). Basically, I'm currently considered the most promising young actor/director in my province, which is a HUGE honor.

So, yeah...needless to say, I'm a little pumped. Just wanted to share this with everyone here! :D

Zero
05-11-2008, 06:35 PM
You ROCK - congrats Return - i'm sure lots of hard work went into these awards

cactus
05-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Congrats, Return! That's pretty damn awesome.

newb
05-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Yeah...good going Return.....way to make people cry...heartless bastard.

No really...congrats dude....your heart is in theater....keep up the good work;)

alkytrio666
05-11-2008, 06:53 PM
Wow! Congrats, Andrew, I know you've worked hard for this.
Go celebrate!

GorePhobia
05-11-2008, 06:56 PM
Damn dude that is pretty awesome.

Congrats on all your hard work and I am glad it paid off for ya!

neverending
05-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Having spent decades of my life deeply involved in theatre I know how hard you had to work for this. Hearty congratulations. Keep up the great work.

_____V_____
05-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Awesome!

I knew you were gonna kick some serious ass, Andrew. And I am happy as hell that you swept all the awards.

Have a beer on me, and keep going! :)

Elvis_Christ
05-11-2008, 11:55 PM
That's really fuckin' cool dude! Well done :D

Geddy
05-12-2008, 02:26 AM
That's awesome, good job!

Vodstok
05-12-2008, 04:07 AM
That is amazing, completely amazing. I have absolutely nothing sarcastic to say about that; never ever give up, you have a gift. :)

Dante'sInferno
05-12-2008, 04:24 AM
Awsome!Good job return!

hammerfan
05-12-2008, 04:40 AM
Congratulations!!!!

Doc Faustus
05-12-2008, 06:02 AM
Good work. Student directors are in a really difficult position. Support and resources are often just out of reach, troubleshooting falls squarely on their shoulders. It's tough. Good job making something of it. Bang, Bang, You're Dead is a great play with a lot to say, so it's also cool you won putting on something like that instead of obnoxious early Stoppard which usually impresses Drama Festival judges.

Despare
05-12-2008, 07:56 AM
Congrats!

I loved theater but I just didn't have enough passion for it to stick with it. I'm glad you do, I'll be looking forward to seeing you on Broadway.

Angra
05-12-2008, 08:26 AM
Proud of you, Return.

Next up Hollywood, right? ;)

ferretchucker
05-12-2008, 09:35 AM
Meh.

I once played one of fat sams gang in bugsy malone, and got a cadbury's chocolate bar off my teacher for it.

Roderick Usher
05-12-2008, 09:46 AM
People always say that hard work is it's own reward, but fuck that.

Awards and adulation rule! Way to go Return! You deserve every bit of it. Enjoy the feeling for as long as you can... then get back to work, young man!

Vodstok
05-12-2008, 09:50 AM
People always say that hard work is it's own reward, but fuck that.

Amen. People who say that are people who never do anything outstanding. Try eating a feeling of accomplishment.

novakru
05-12-2008, 11:38 AM
WOOHOO!
Congrats Return!!:)

Doc Faustus
05-12-2008, 01:16 PM
Meh.

I once played one of fat sams gang in bugsy malone, and got a cadbury's chocolate bar off my teacher for it.
Lucky. Cadbury is some of my favorite chocolate and since my family raised rabbits, their commercials led to many a prosperous Easter.

ChronoGrl
05-12-2008, 04:04 PM
I personally won awards for Outstanding Lead Actor, Outstanding Student Director, and Outstanding Choice of Material. My entire cast won a Special Adjudicators Mention for Outstanding Ensemble Work and Outstanding Use of Set. My stage manager / lighting girl won for Outstanding Lighting, plus a special award from the Tech Director of the festival for her professionalism, which is one of the biggest awards that they give out.

I also won something else...the Alvin Shaw Award, which is given to the student who they think shows "the most professional potential". It consists of $250 cash-in-hand, plus a $1000 scholarship to the University that hosts the festival (St. Thomas University). Basically, I'm currently considered the most promising young actor/director in my province, which is a HUGE honor.

WOW.

Return - That. Is. AWESOME. I was involved in competitive theater when I was in high school, so I have an idea of how difficult it can be (but I never directed, damnit, so GOOD ONYA THAT'S FUCKING AWESOME!).

Congratulations, Fuzzy Penguin. :D You honestly deserve it. Are you a high school senior? You going to St. Thomas University?

The_Return
05-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Thanks a lot guys :D

I'm still bouncing off the walls, heh.

Chrono - Yes, I'm a senior. Not sure If I'll go to St. Thomas though...I wasn't planning to go anywhere next year. I was thinking of just going there next year for the heck of it (because of the scholarship), but they dont offer one year programs and I really dont want to get stuck in something for 4 years that doesn't really interest me. They have a great Drama program, but its all extra-curricular; I'd be learning alot of theatre stuff, but none of my actual classes would be related.

I might go for the year and see what I think - cant really hurt, I guess.

ChronoGrl
05-13-2008, 03:50 AM
No, it can't hurt at all. As long as the scholarship isn't contingent on you staying there for the whole 4 years... But, as long as you're Paid In Full, why not do it for a year and then transfer (plus, it'll give you more time to research schools that you actually want to go to).

I like the idea of just trying out a college for a year... It'll help you get an idea of what you want in a college as well as what you want to major in (if you don't know already).

Then again, maybe they'll let you defer the scholarship a year - is that an option?

You have a LOT of opportunities open for you, R. That's awesome. :D

Roderick Usher
05-13-2008, 07:04 AM
With the kudos you've recieved, why not try Juliard?

friday13thfan
05-13-2008, 05:41 PM
Congratulations dude. I'm glad to hear your closer to your dream.