PDA

View Full Version : What's your passion?

Vodstok
05-05-2008, 05:29 AM
Ok, you can have several answers to this. Passion is very important; people put out there best work when they are passionate about it. I love programming and writing, and that shows in the work i produce. Same goes for everything from food to movies. Granted, without talent, passion can lead to dissapointment, but in the end, if you enjoy what you are doing, who cares if you suck at it?

so what are all of you passionate about? What are the things you enjoy to the point where you would do it for the rest of your life, even if you never made a penny off of it?

For me, Writing is the biggest one, followed by cooking and programming.

hammerfan
05-05-2008, 05:33 AM
Saving abused and neglected animals. I always said if I win the Powerball jackpot, I would buy a big piece of land with a big house and open a shelter for cats.

Vodstok
05-05-2008, 05:46 AM
Saving abused and neglected animals. I always said if I win the Powerball jackpot, I would buy a big piece of land with a big house and open a shelter for cats.
Bree (my wife) has a goal in life of opening a dog shelter. Its my job to make enough money to get the land and house :)

of course, she also wants to go back to school and get her masters, then PHD. she already has a bachelor's in psychology. then she can open her own practice and buy it herself :)

bloody_ribcut
05-05-2008, 06:01 AM
music and art.

i like making beats, and i draw graffiti..

Geddy
05-05-2008, 06:12 AM
Film and Music for me.

urgeok2
05-05-2008, 06:34 AM
film/literatire/music/volleyball/photography/animals/toys/collectables

those are the main ones ...

in general : life. i love life.

(i dont consider family and friendship to be 'passions')

Vodstok
05-05-2008, 06:38 AM
(i dont consider family and friendship to be 'passions')
agreed, they dont really qualify as passions. A passion tends to be more external. people who are passionate baout their family are weird, they tend to be religious nuts who are either inappropriately involved with their kids, or have families of 16 kids and all they do is have kids.

neverending
05-05-2008, 07:45 AM
Music... but not just any music. From a very young age I was attracted to music that was a bit off the wall, strange, odd, experimental or unusual. Perhaps it was the weird yellow 45 I had of the Three Stooges which depicted them as trying to make a record while they were actually ON the disc getting dizzy by going round and round that's responsible. Or perhaps it was Perrey & Kingsley's In Sound From Way Out. Growing up in the 60s was great for a fan of strange audio because just about anybody who wanted to put their work on record did.

Now I'm able to share these bits of audio weirdness with people the world over with an internet radio station. It's not popular, by any means, except for the month of October when I turn it into a tribute to Halloween, but I have a great time creating something unique and creative.

newb
05-05-2008, 08:00 AM
Music... but not just any music. From a very young age I was attracted to music that was a bit off the wall, strange, odd, experimental or unusual.

hmmmm....you would never know it listening to your show
:D

music & movies for me

OH........BEER

Vodstok
05-05-2008, 08:12 AM
OH........BEER
No way... You like beer?

Same here, drinking is right up with food with me. I am over 200lbs but dont look it, and i attribute a lot of that to loving food the way the french do. i may eat like a pig, but i enjoy every bite. I have never known anyone who can honestly enjoy a fast food burger the way i would lobster and fillet mignon.

newb
05-05-2008, 08:16 AM
No way... You like beer?

meh....take it or leave it

http://i1.iofferphoto.com/img/1150441200/_i/12495530/1.jpg

GorePhobia
05-05-2008, 08:36 AM
My passion without a doubt is film. I have wanted to make movies since I was about three years old and since then I have been trying my hardest to do something with film and just get out there. It is a hard thing to do but like people have said if you are extremely passionate about something it can happen.

pinkfloyd45769
05-05-2008, 10:09 AM
I'm a loser,i have no passions in my life.I'm in the processing of finding that right now.

Dude Guadalupe
05-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Music has always been my first passion. Even if I don't play too often anymore, I'm still very passionate about it. I can, have, and will fight about music.

I guess my second passion has become writing. The more I do it, the more I enjoy it, and the more I surprise myself. I could probably see myself writing for the rest of my life.

Elvis_Christ
05-05-2008, 03:38 PM
Music has always been my first passion. Even if I don't play too often anymore, I'm still very passionate about it. I can, have, and will fight about music.

^^ Ditto except I play heaps lately (still suck even with all the practice). Been putting together a CD of live/rehearsal stuff over the last couple of weeks its rough as fuck but should be a cool limited DIY release till we record properly. Music is just such a great form of expression/release and its been a huge part of my life ever since I can remember.

Film is my other life long passion ever since I saw The Terminator as a kid. I've always dug the escapism of being privy to another world that can shock, make you laugh/cry and yell a good ol' "Fuck yeh!" to a head exploding :)

and yeh I like to have the occasional drink or two.

The_Return
05-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Theatre - acting to be more precise. I couldnt live without being on stage, and I can't imagine trying to make a living doing anything else. I eat, sleep and breathe theatre, and I am ALWAYS in rehearsals for a play.

Currently I'm cast in 4 shows - two of them are this weekend (I'm in 2 different shows on Saturday, one of which I am the lead + I directed), and next week we're going to start getting more serious about the third one I'm in (aq stage version of The Breakfast Club), which we're performing in the summer. Then after that I'm in another play that a buddy of mine is writing + directing....he really isnt very good (I was in one of his shows a year or so back and it was horrendous), but it's still a damn good time.

I applied to the National Theatre School this year...just found out that I didn't get in, but I'm not too worried. I plan to stay around home for another year and get as much experience (theatre and otherwise) as possible.

I'm just about to finish up my first directing gig...it can't compare to acting, but I'm loving that, too. Really want to get some more directing projects off the ground...

I've never done any film work, aside from being an extra in "Sticks and Stones", a little made-for-TV hockey movie. I'd love to get more experience in that kind of acting - its totally different than what I'm used to and seems really exciting.

Film is also a passion for me...watching movies is what keeps me sane.

crabapple
05-05-2008, 07:19 PM
flying reptiles
movies
television, especially 60's and 70's television
rats and rodents, alvin and the chipmunks
seafood
art, generally
cartoons
wacky music
halloween (the holiday)
hoochie poochie

Staplez
05-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Cars. Ever since I was kid I knew all I wanted to do was work on cars. My dad was a self employed machanic when I was growing up. So I spent most of my childhood hanging out in the shop with him. I was never into toys or video games when I was young, I had tools. Theres just something about making somthing faster, stronger, cooler, etc. Making it your own. Knowing that without you it wouldnt be what it is.
Its just like anything else, its hard to explain it exactly to somebody who dosnt get it.

Ive worked my whole life to learn all I can. Now I work in a shop that restores old cars. I dont regret a second of any of it.

novakru
05-07-2008, 07:03 AM
Ok, this may be totally misinterprated but:
1. ) Death (or more correctly- Life after Death)
2.) other Lifeforms in our Universe
3.) God

I watch, read, and listen to everything pertaining to these subjects.

I want with all my soul to understand or KNOW these things, but have a gut feeling that nothing will ever tell me.

urgeok2
05-07-2008, 07:11 AM
I want with all my soul to understand or KNOW these things, but have a gut feeling that nothing will ever tell me.

i can tell you :)

novakru
05-07-2008, 08:44 AM
i can tell you :)

OK then, spill it:)

_____V_____
05-07-2008, 08:52 AM
1 - My work.

2 - A beautiful face of a woman.

urgeok2
05-07-2008, 09:24 AM
OK then, spill it:)

there is no life after death.

Grab every single bit of enjoyment you can out of every single day.
Take nothing for granted.
have fun
dont interfere with anyone elses fun.

keep doing this until you're very old and on your deathbed you can look back and think : i lived a good life ..

then you can go in peace.

i know in my heart these things are true and thats how i'm trying to live out the rest of my life ..

Vodstok
05-07-2008, 04:29 PM
what if you only gain pleasyre from ruining other people's fun?

horrorobsessed
05-07-2008, 04:44 PM
Band/Music...big surprise right?

i've been in band since i was in sixth grade and it's just so much a part of my life. it annoys me sometimes and stresses me out most of the time, but picking up an instrument still calms me down and helps me get my mind on track. basically anything that involves band at my school i'm in: marching band, pep band, wind ensemble, pit orchestra, winter guard, different honor bands, and i even take lessons on my bassoon every Thursday with a professor from UE. i've met some of my best friends in band and it has helped me actually socialize with people and have fun.

missmacabre
05-07-2008, 04:48 PM
My hatred for coffee. I'm very passionate about ridding the world of coffee.

Seriously though, people. I know relationships aren't a passion but I mean to say, whatever I do I want to be making people happy. That's my goal. Seeing the smile on a kids face when they get a timbit is basically what keeps me going at work (and why i spend my tips giving timbits to kids).

Elvis_Christ
05-07-2008, 05:00 PM
My hatred for coffee. I'm very passionate about ridding the world of coffee.

Say what? I'd rid the world of a lot of things violently without my morning coffee :)

missmacabre
05-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Say what? I'd rid the world of a lot of things violently without my morning coffee :)

How about you bathe in your morning coffee. Then you would understand my plight, as I come home smelling so much like coffee that I have to scrub to get the smell out of my skin. After a while it makes you sick to smell it, nevermind drink it. If you still disagree after a coffee bath, I will assure you get a special hoard of beans before I destroy Colombia.

Elvis_Christ
05-07-2008, 05:08 PM
How about you bathe in your morning coffee. Then you would understand my plight, as I come home smelling so much like coffee that I have to scrub to get the smell out of my skin. After a while it makes you sick to smell it, nevermind drink it. If you still disagree after a coffee bath, I will assure you get a special hoard of beans before I destroy Colombia.

Ha I getcha now! I was like that with a bunch of thing when I was working a bakery

Dante'sInferno
05-07-2008, 05:09 PM
Music!

I know,so hard to guess right?!?!??!

I iz play bass.You hire me for 11 $ plz

Elvis_Christ
05-07-2008, 05:10 PM
Music!

I know,so hard to guess right?!?!??!

I iz play bass.You hire me for 11 $ plz

Not until we've had a bass off! I could do with that $11

Roderick Usher
05-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Not until we've had a bass off! I could do with that $11

hell, my 10 year-old son plays bass - get a real instrument;)

My passion is scaring people - I do it as often as possible

Dude Guadalupe
05-08-2008, 02:15 AM
hell, my 10 year-old son plays bass - get a real instrument;)

Like this one

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/DudeGuadalupe/351-Triangle-L.jpg

Vodstok
05-08-2008, 06:50 AM
i used to be VERY passionate about music. the last 2 years of highschool were almost completely dedicated to it, as wella s 2 years after. I play bass (rod you bastard, get a real job ;)). I was beyond dedicated, practicing from 2 to 7 hours almost every day.

There was almost nothign i couldnt learn by ear, i played a lot of primus, red hot chili pepper sand metallica (old cliff burton stuff), and i didnt even start until i was 15.

Then, i tried taking an AP exam in music theory to hopefully shotgun my way into Berkly in boston, only to realize that i had wasted 2 years in my school's bullshit music theory class; they were wasted, as was the 76 bucks i blew ont he exam. I got more and more disappointed with the music scene where i lived and any chance of making a living off of it. Those same years were when i really came into my own as a writer, writing my first couple of short stories (most of which were lost....), so eventually music was supplanted by writing as my true artisitic love.

jenna26
05-08-2008, 07:55 AM
Writing of course, books and film.
Also, I love dogs and cats, we rescued both of our dogs, one from a local shelter, another from a family that wasn't taking proper care of the poor little guy, the people apparently didn't believe in taking dogs to the vet, he was SO sick when he got here, and was less than a year old, it was awful. :( Turned out his tail was also broken, and the vet had to take it off after he apparently re injured it a few months ago(none of us even realized it was broken, I thought he had lost his mind, just starting chasing it obsessively one day and it continued for days). And I think I am rambling on now....;) But if I had the money and the room, I would definitely be taking more in. They need foster homes here for a few of them, which I thought about, but we just don't have the room. Lucky for my husband I guess....;)

Dante'sInferno
05-08-2008, 04:44 PM
I want to learn how to play the Theremin