PDA

View Full Version : Saving the planet

pinkfloyd45769
04-30-2008, 06:04 PM
Do you think organic is better?Are you guys going green?It seems these days everything and everyone is doing it.Are you guys buying reusable bags for the supermarket or just picking paper or plastic?I care about global warming and all that but i wonder why is it such a craze now.I bought an organic made tee shirt and it felt really soft...until i washed it.I'm just not sure i'm really into all of it.I leave the water running when i brush my teeth,i dont always turn the light off when i leave the room,and i really dont recycle.What about you?

Rayne
04-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Well, my thing is all about saving money

So..

I don't leave water running (unless it's while cooking, washing vegetables and chicken, things like that)

I ALWAYS turn off lights when I leave a room

I get my groceries in plastic bags, then reuse those bags for other things at home

I do NOT buy organic produce or other items because they're more expensive

I reuse some glass jars, plastic jugs (The big Hawaiian Punch jugs with the sturdy handles are perfect for iced tea), and other items

When my kitchen towels get raggedy, they become scrub rags (those are used instead of paper towels)

When the kitchen sponges get replaced, the old ones are used for the floors and tubs...Until they are eventually demoted to the toilet

Posher778
04-30-2008, 06:17 PM

So..

I don't leave water running (unless it's while cooking, washing vegetables and chicken, things like that)

I get my groceries in plastic bags, then reuse those bags for other things at home

I reuse some glass jars, plastic jugs (The big Hawaiian Punch jugs with the sturdy handles are perfect for iced tea), and other items
I figured all the bulbs would just shatter when you entered a room...

Rayne
04-30-2008, 06:19 PM
I figured all the bulbs would just shatter when you entered a room...OH..and I use 40watt bulbs...Except in the kitchen

pinkfloyd45769
04-30-2008, 06:22 PM
Good tips,i do some of those.I really can't find a difference between organic and plain old tomatoes(example) other than the price.

Rayne
04-30-2008, 06:31 PM
Good tips,i do some of those.I really can't find a difference between organic and plain old tomatoes(example) other than the price.
And, in the summer...I grow tomatoes...I can never get enough tomatoes :)

I make tons of fresh salsa with them, too

pinkfloyd45769
04-30-2008, 06:33 PM
I love canned tomatoes,i eat those all winter.Where i live its all tomatoe farmers,so we always have tons of them.

Rayne
04-30-2008, 06:35 PM
I love canned tomatoes,i eat those all winter.Where i live its all tomatoe farmers,so we always have tons of them.

Canned tomatoes are perfect for amazing chili and vegetable soup

That reminds me...I think the chickens are ready to come out of the oven...I'll catch you guys in a bit :)

novakru
04-30-2008, 07:09 PM
I recycle everything I can
I reuse everything I can
I am in the middle of replacing all my bulbs to those swirly funky looking bulbs and am always yelling at everyone in my house to turn the damn lights off.

I unplug everything, especially computers and TVs when not in use
I buy organic , and I buy local

We are going to be replacing floors soon and I hope to get bamboo which is a sustainable resource, but of course this will be dictated by price

I use all natural cleaning products

There's more that my household does to make things cleaner, healthier for the planet and I am SURE there is alot more we could do

I think it's very important to do as much as we can, I wish I could afford to be ALOT more enviromentally caring -but like alot of Americans, I can only do what the paycheck allows me to do.

urgeok2
05-01-2008, 12:16 AM
i thought the 'organic' thing was about eating healthy - more than being 'green'

as far as being environmentally friendly goes - yes - we recycle - we have the good bulbs everywhere, we do whatever we can where we can.

the human race has been nothing but a disease on this planet. we have done more damage than a thousand years of a locust plague could ever hope to do.

everyone needs to do their part and start thinking about the future - instead of their own little time spent here.

newb
05-01-2008, 03:08 AM

So..

When my kitchen towels get raggedy, they become scrub rags (those are used instead of paper towels)

pretty much word for word here

Phalanx
05-01-2008, 04:05 AM
I go with organic for the entirety of my fruit/vegetable shopping, and some of my meat shopping.
Mainly about knowledge and quality.
*Organic has less hormones/chemicals used in the growth process - which means less unnecessary shit floating around in your system.
*My local organic market turns out cheaper than the supermarkets with produce of far inferior quality by comparison.
*A lot of organic produce is grown hydroponically, which means that their availability is insured practically year-round.
*Quality wise, it always seems better - the veggies are crisper, more boldly coloured and stronger flavoured. Try an organic vs normal tomato, and tell me different. I'm well aware of how to identify quality points of produce, and they're met perfectly.

Environmentally? I assume it's better for the earth, but that's not my predominate reason...A fortunate side effect of wanting to eat better things though I suppose.

I try to recycle, and don't generally overuse chemicals.
We'll more often than not purchase enviro-friendly shopping bags too, which we'll later reuse as garbage bags.

hammerfan
05-01-2008, 04:13 AM

So..

When the kitchen sponges get replaced, the old ones are used for the floors and tubs...Until they are eventually demoted to the toilet

Ditto. I have some canvas bags that I've bought for grocery shopping, but I ALWAYS forget to take them to the store! I re-use the plastic bags, tho - they're great for cleaning the litterbox. I use kitchen sponges until they start to smell mildewy, then they go in the trash. And I'm constantly yelling at my housemates to turn off lights. When my nephew has a day off, we invariably come home from work to every light in the house turned on. One time I asked him if he was afraid of the dark :D

The Mothman
05-01-2008, 04:18 AM
the planet is fucked, there's no doubt about it, but i still do my part in trying to help. i vowed to never own a car a few days ago.

ManchestrMorgue
05-01-2008, 06:40 AM
Pretty much all the fresh fruit & vegetables I buy are organic.

A number of pantry items are too (eg tomato sauce/ketchup, tinned tomatoes, lentils, tea, etc).

I do like to get organic meat, but it is a bit hard to get good organic cuts locally.

Don't leave water running.

Grow some vegetables, and avoid pesticides etc.

Get plastic bags at the supermarket (actually have supermarket items delivered so they come in bags). I try to reuse them as bin bags etc.

Recycle most things I can; have a compost heap in the yard.

Try to buy things that are produced with labour forces that are not exploited (although this can be really hard for some items).

Have those energy efficient lightbulbs.

Try not to eat much in the way of processed foods.

But fail when it comes to driving cars that are not the most fuel efficient, and driving pretty much everywhere/don't use public transport.

pinkfloyd45769
05-01-2008, 03:50 PM
I'm ashamed of myself! I will try harder!!!!

Phalanx
05-01-2008, 03:53 PM
You'd better...:mad:

Despare
05-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Not much admittedly, I'm getting rain barrels to catch rain which we'll use to water our plants. *shrug* I suppose that's more for aesthetics than anything else though.

amc420vt
05-02-2008, 07:18 AM
i have noticed that alot of products are going 'green' which is cool in my book. theres definatly alot more we could do to help the environment.
i too reuse plastic bags from the store.
turn the water off when i brush my teeth.
turn lights off.
unplug things.
use environmental safe cleaning products.
i have actually switched cat litters, because the cat litter with the colored stuff in it, doesn't break down when it is thrown away. i read about it somewhere, and thought, hey, why not switch.
i also try to save bottle caps from sodas etc. because those sometimes end up in the ocean, and can kill animals.
if everyone did simple little things, we are one step closer to a better planet.
go plant a tree.