PDA

View Full Version : Freaks

Signs515
01-19-2004, 06:36 PM
Damn, I'm surprised nobody ever talks about this movie around here. This movie is sooooo creepy, all I can say is gooble gobble gooble gobble :). The sad part is it's so hard to find and I haven't seen it in such a long time, anyone else see this movie who could give more insight on it than I can?

avenger00soul
01-19-2004, 09:39 PM
Great film. Tod Browning doesn't get enough praise.

Every time I watch Freaks, I think I'm watching a perfect Tales From the Crypt episode.

knife_fight
01-19-2004, 09:58 PM
Freaks is brilliant. In fact, it's kind of a bonding point for my girlfriend and I because it's the first movie we watched together and it was my first gift to her as well. I love this movie more than Frosted Flakes. I would like to know what happened to all the "freaks" after the movie was shot. It was banned for a long time, right?

avenger00soul
01-20-2004, 08:18 AM
It was banned for something like 30 years in the UK. Tod Browning was also blackballed by the studios for a long time.

Dr.Kelvinstein
01-20-2004, 09:07 AM
Tod Browning was definitely the king of macabre scenarios, but his direction is usually pretty lame. He hardly ever moves the camera. And everything vampiric in Dracula took place off screen. Plus, remember the possum and armadillo in Castle Dracula? WTF? And the vampiric cockroach who has its own itty bitty coffin? Or maybe it was supposed to be big cocokroach with a bog coffin. Who the hell knows. The only time the camera ever moves is when it pans onto Dracula and the three brides, and DP Karl Freund said he snuck that in one day while Tod was off set.

Remember the goofy ending in Mark of the Vampire where Lugosi turns out to be an actor playing a vampire in order to trick the bad guy into confessing? Again, WTF? All that movie needed was Scooby Doo.

avenger00soul
01-20-2004, 09:10 AM
I can forgive the offscreen action because of the day and age. You're right about not moving the camera enough though.

komi
01-22-2004, 03:36 AM
good but not great

sleepaway
02-03-2004, 02:37 AM
I love this movie! The DVD version in the UK went a bit wrong and didn't even have the movie on it, I had like 3 copies and gave up. I will have to see if it's been re-released.

Robert Neville
02-19-2004, 09:45 AM
Ah, revenge makes the sweetest movies. And when you can include pinheads, dwarves, bearded ladies, dog faced boys and the like, it can only make it better. And has been stated earlier in this thread, I do wonder what happened to the cast. In today's world Freaks would be so unPC that no one would touch it. Well maybe Wes Craven would.

Shade
02-19-2004, 10:19 AM
Freaks is the definition of classic in my book.I love this movie an it's the only older movie I wouldn't mind being redone...though I seriously doubt it ever will be...nor do I think anyone could really do a good job of it.

fan-o-horror
02-24-2004, 08:11 PM
"Freaks" was very influential to me. I only recently saw it, but it changed my views of horror films. I was very suprised to hear all of the controversy surrounding the film when they played it on TV a few months ago. As I was watching it I felt let down but after I started thinking about the concept surrounding the movie it almost became romantic. The idea, not the movie. The movie is incredible and I would suggest everyone watch it.

Gore fest gerb
02-25-2004, 09:32 AM
It was remade in the 60s or 70s Cant' remember what it was call but as soon as I fined out I will tell you but I can say it was a load of crap I think it was made for the drive in b-movies. It could have been call freaked but like I said I will tell you as soon as I fined out.

Gore fest gerb
02-26-2004, 08:34 AM
From what I said above the remake of freaks if was called SHE-FREAK and it was a drive in b-movie.....

swiftdeath
03-12-2004, 04:42 PM
Freaks was a good movie. It kind of seemed like the story Hop-Frog.

Gore fest gerb
04-04-2004, 08:19 AM
Can Any one tell me if freaks is on dvd yet?

Cereal Killer
04-04-2004, 08:06 PM
Freaks is freaky.

. . . it was like a car accident, I didn't want to, but I just had to.

Good movie, absolute classic, but well--freeaakky.

Gore fest gerb
04-05-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Cereal Killer
Freaks is freaky.

. . . it was like a car accident, I didn't want to, but I just had to.

Good movie, absolute classic, but well--freeaakky. I asked if it was on dvd not bloody freeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaakkkkkkkyyyyyy

Cereal Killer
04-06-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Gore fest gerb
I asked if it was on dvd not bloody freeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaakkkkkkkyyyyyy

What in God's name is munching on your nads?

Then ignore my comment, douche-nozzle, because it wasn't directed primarily at you. I don't "bloody" care what you asked.

Do some damn research if you're so antsy to know.

Randall_Flagg
04-06-2004, 10:51 PM
For the time it was made, this film is a classic!

And yeah, banned for years over here... The censors don't know shit!

Gore fest gerb
04-09-2004, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by Cereal Killer
What in God's name is munching on your nads?

Then ignore my comment, douche-nozzle, because it wasn't directed primarily at you. I don't "bloody" care what you asked.

Do some damn research if you're so antsy to know. Soz if I pissed you off Got it on dvd now after years of looking had it on video but got no video machine now. Soz

Living/Dead
08-08-2004, 09:36 PM
Just thought I'd point out that tommorrow Freaks is finally being released on DVD, Tod Browning's classic that pretty much got him thrown out of the movie business. Sadly the nearly 30 minutes of footage that was lost years ago still hasn't been obtained, there is however a documentary on all of the real sideshow performers who were featured in the movie.

http://www.brightlightsfilm.com/32/32_images/freaks1.jpg

Dr.Kelvinstein
08-09-2004, 08:57 AM
Just got mine in the mail. Packaging is pretty cool, but haven't watched the extras yet.

valblood
08-15-2004, 04:02 AM
This is a natural horror film, one which on the face of it doesn't rely on scares as much, but utilises the disadvantages of being the main characters in the film.

Controversial at the time and still thought-provoking, it raises the issue of existence.

Anyone else got any views on this film?

KRUGERKID13
08-16-2004, 12:18 PM
todd brownings amazing

gnarly
08-25-2004, 05:12 AM
its was cool how that guy runs around on his hands
and how the worm man can roll a joint with his mouth

feral cat
08-25-2004, 05:07 PM
This was banned for years in many countries! It pretty much ruined Todd Browning career!

It is creepy though and sad because the characters are real!

rakechan
08-26-2004, 04:06 AM
I love 'Freaks'- It's terrible that it pretty much ruined Todd Browning's career, and he wasn't alive when it started to be regarded as a cult classic, which is a shame.

It's a horror film which wasn't really made to be a horror film, I think. Browning had quite a background with carnivals, and was friends with some of the cast before the film was made, so it's great to see someone who's kind of an insider showing the sudience the world of the freaks, because the majority of other freak films are void of the sensibility this film has- it shows the freaks to be characters in their own right, rather than merely obscene creatures. It was waaaay ahead of it's time :) ... I'm rambling again, aren't I? ;)

Robert Neville
09-08-2004, 09:42 AM
I wouldn't consider it a horror movie. I would consider it a revenge movie. Yes, it does show the abnormalities that can happen to the human body, but horror? Freaks is about a happy family of, well, freaks, who go about their carnival business. This business is interupted by greed. The greed turns to action. The action then turns to revenge on those who caused the damage. The original ending does show some horror, ie torture and mutilation. This original ending has been added to the newly released DVD. This one's a must see for fans of great cinema.

Modestas
09-21-2004, 10:14 AM
Someone knows about this movie? Is claimed, that this movie is one of the best horror ever! The fact is: it was made in 1932-33 and it hasn't colours: only black and white. if someone knows it, pls say your opinion, it is worth to get this movie?

Modestas
09-21-2004, 10:27 AM
http://www.darkwebonline.com/top100horror4.asp
View some facts of this movie, it looks very promising.

tachii
09-22-2004, 11:41 AM
long time since no mention of this feature! i thought it was a bit dull. although i did like how that bitch finally got what she deserved in the end.

tachii
09-22-2004, 11:46 AM
great movie, haven't seen it since i was fifteen though
the natural stuff if the sickest shit

Rebel Yell
09-24-2004, 07:43 PM
Creepiest horror I have ever seen. I love it with all of my cold black heart.

rakechan
09-25-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Robert Neville
I wouldn't consider it a horror movie. I would consider it a revenge movie. Yes, it does show the abnormalities that can happen to the human body, but horror?

I dunno, I'd say it's horror, but not from the abnormalities it shows, but from the way it depicts the darker side of human nature (ie- the vengeful side) after all, the majority of (good) horror is about the darkest recesses of the human psyche, rather than just showing guts and gore? I always think that way, any way...

however, I'm not entirely certain whether it's cleo who's the cause of the horror because of her greed and disgusting scheming, or whether it's the shocking way the freaks take their revenge! :confused:

nine9
09-25-2004, 02:32 PM
I've never seen it , but it is a favorite of my brother's 'Andyk'...........I reall wish I could find it, or they would at least put in on tv again. Used to put many horrors on late night, now hardly ever......guess everyone is too much into reality shows. :rolleyes:

tachii
09-27-2004, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by rakechan
I dunno, I'd say it's horror, but not from the abnormalities it shows, but from the way it depicts the darker side of human nature (ie- the vengeful side) after all, the majority of (good) horror is about the darkest recesses of the human psyche, rather than just showing guts and gore? I always think that way, any way...

however, I'm not entirely certain whether it's cleo who's the cause of the horror because of her greed and disgusting scheming, or whether it's the shocking way the freaks take their revenge! :confused:

totally agree with

gothicvamp1888
10-11-2004, 02:46 AM
just watche the movie and totally enjoyed it

gothicvamp1888
10-11-2004, 04:52 AM
it is a classic, if u look past the black and white (altho in my opinion B+W films kick ass, especially horrors) and look within the story, u find a true tale of terror, made in 1932 and runs for 64 mins, definately worth checking out.

Hellbound
10-11-2004, 05:38 AM
Actually banned for quite some time in this country, the UK, for whatever reason I'm not quite sure.
The director grew up on the side-show circuit and was rumoured to have had his penis cut off in a car accident, although it was never proven if that was true or not. If I remember correctly his name was Tod Browning and if you like his films then you should read up on his life story because that's just as interesting. The guy is a legend.

knife_fight
10-16-2004, 02:13 AM
I personally love this movie. Although made in the 30s, it feels like a horror comic like Tales From the Crypt because of the "ironic punishment" deal.

Monkey Do
10-16-2004, 11:15 AM
It's a superb film and one that you couldn't imagine ever being made today (at least not with real "freaks" - the PC brigade would have a fit and it would have to use CGI versions of the bloomin Basket Case 3 mob) - it isn't scary so much as a sort of twisted fairy tale with some truly despicable characters and despite it's reputation isn't as expoitative as you might think, especially considering the time it was made the "freaks" on the whole are portrayed as very human and apart from those with ulterior motives are treated as such by the average shaped characters.

Shade
10-18-2004, 05:56 AM
one of us! one of us! I love that movie. I wouldn't call it the best horror movie ever...or even horror...but it is excellent. Though the ending didn't quite add up...ironic, yes...still doesn't mean I get how it could happen. All right, dispel logic and watch the movie!

N0Hypocrites
10-25-2004, 08:59 PM
There are disfigured people all the time. I wouldn't consider that 'horrible' just like I wouldn't consider 'Freaks' to be a horror film. I'd agree it's a revenge film. Set in a strange enviornment, sure, but still a revenge film. It's what's going on in people's minds that is horrifying.
CK

dangerous'
10-30-2004, 07:05 AM
Todd Browning IS amazing.

(>';')>$<(';'<)
11-02-2004, 07:48 PM
First time poster on this site ><

i was thrilled when i saw this on the first page of the forums, i have to say it is one of my favorite shows of all time - definatly on my top ten list anyway - I have been trying to collect some tidbits of the film and have the charachature of roscoe yates from the brown derby in hollywood and a few signed photos by the guy with no pelvis and the little dwarf couple.

anyone know where i can find an inexpensive repro poster?

Jackie Brown
11-04-2004, 03:19 AM
Not really sure how Tod Browning was amazing, he set up the camera and let it sit there. Here's a question about the film though, would anyone find the movie entertaining if it didn't contain "freaks"? I enjoyed the movie but I can honestly say I wouldn't have liked it otherwise, just something to think about...

urgeok
11-04-2004, 04:38 AM
thats kind of like asking people if they'd like alien, if there werent any aliens ...

I,ZOMBIE
11-04-2004, 04:43 AM
good point made by jackie brown! if freaks contain regular people (and i say regular loosly) would anyone have cared? it was a good movie, for what it was. i still likek chanting "one of us" every now and then.

would people get offended if in a zombie movie, mentally handicapped people were my extras? send some down syndrome people in makeup storrming a old farmhouse. think of it, and ignore the naked girls in the bath tub of (pig's) blood that is the opening scene?

I,ZOMBIE
11-04-2004, 04:48 AM
pictures aliens with no aliens* uggghhhh, god that would suck. think if gieger hadn't had anything to do with it? that would be aliens with NO aliens! good point my neighbor to the north!

urgeok
11-04-2004, 05:17 AM
I juess i'm just saying that the very concept of Freaks were the Freaks.
You could apply the 'what if' logic to any genre film.
Sure it would be just another jilted lover revenge flick ....
And almost every single Sci-Fi flick would just be a western ..
And every slasher flick without a crazed killer would be a crime drama.

Freaks was a landmard film for a number of reasons .. it was daring as hell for the time and it painted a sympathetic picture of the poor unfortunates in the film. It also made them human.
Which was the point of the film .. these poor creatures were more human than the 'normal' girl.
So without the freaks .. the movie would have no point.

I understand where the question came from ... but in this case i'd have to say that they were integral to the film.

xI_dork_Ix
11-04-2004, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by urgeok

-every slasher flick without a crazed killer would be a crime drama.

-without the freaks .. the movie would have no point.

Ineresting, but I never looked at it like that. Nice train of thought there.

Jackie Brown
11-04-2004, 09:05 AM
urgeok
thats kind of like asking people if they'd like alien, if there werent any aliens ...

IMO you can't apply that sort of logic to the question. Afterall the freaks were real people and the Aliens were fictionally created. Not sure what I'm trying to say with that statement... I guess what I'm saying is that the story in Freaks could have been done without having freaks in it, I'd be interested to see the story of Aliens portrayed without aliens.

urgeok
11-04-2004, 09:28 AM
i understand where you're coming from but as i went on to explain .. the movie was about the freaks ... they were the story ..
(normal vs freak contrast and all that)

Ok .. a better analogy would be .. a movie about Princess Diana .. without Princess Diana ...

i think you're saying that it wasnt a great origional story and the cinematography, etc.. was pedestrian .. but in this case i dont think you can seperate the subject material from the story .. they really were the story ..

tachii
11-05-2004, 08:59 AM
interesting argument
to use a "freak" or fake a freak
aren't we all

"we all go a little crazy sometimes."
anthony perkins-psycho

allmykids
11-09-2004, 08:20 PM
I don't think I have seen it!!

MichaelMyers
11-09-2004, 08:35 PM
Me neither!! ;)

#1ZOMBIE
11-26-2004, 07:23 PM
i thought the whole premise of freaks and the movie was stupid

yepitsme
11-27-2004, 12:05 AM
Oh a freak posting a picture.

jay o2 waster
11-27-2004, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by yepitsme
Oh a freak posting a picture. fuck you

horror_master
12-22-2004, 08:42 AM
What is the movie about.

The_Return
12-22-2004, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by horror_master
What is the movie about.

Midgets

gnarly
12-22-2004, 09:54 PM

pinkphoebe
12-23-2004, 10:22 PM
It's a classic motherfuckers. Jesus Christ!!!!!!

ShankS
12-24-2004, 12:19 AM
great thread.

Tat2
01-04-2005, 05:17 PM
This is a Browning Classic. This movie used REAL (to be politically correct) people with disabilities and differences. :eek:

Try to make a movie like that now, with all of the politically correctness and sensitivity being shoved down our throats at every corner and they would eat the producers livers for it.

Unless I'm mistaken the movie was made circa 1924. that was eighty years ago. Calling this movie crap is like calling Lon Chaney Sr.'s Phantom of the Opera the same. That's a No-No. :D

Elvis_Christ
01-09-2005, 07:54 PM
Yeh.... what the fuck is up with saying this movie sucks? Fuck dude you have no taste this is one of the best and most influentual horror movies ever made.

42ndStreetFreak
01-10-2005, 12:26 AM
He can say what he wants....just say it better!!!

It was made in 1932.
Think if all the horror films made since then, and all that you have seen, have never been made yet. Then some of the things in "Freaks" would be genuinely new and brave.

**SPOILERS***

I'm no big fan of the film, but it still holds a fascination and the finale, even to this day, where they crawl through the mud on a stormy night with weapons gripped in their hands or teeth, with vengeful stares on their faces, is still a prime 'horror' moment IMHO.

GREAT new DVD release as well, with some fascinating extras.

urgeok
01-10-2005, 05:45 AM
why bother to start a thread on a movie forum without articulating what moved you to be here in the first place ?

if you have passion about something - negative or otherwise, employ the old Who What Where When Why rules.

Write something that might be of interest to anyone reading it.

If something sucks - say why.

Otherwise you'll get flamed by people who would rather hear some method to the madness than just a ...

'this movie sucks'

Where i come from ... something/someone sucking can be a good thing :)

thepsychicfetus
01-11-2005, 02:41 PM
tod browning is an amazing director that brought a lot of his own life influences into the movie. when browning was growing up he was actually in a sideshow playing "the wild man". he also did many magic tricks such as being buried 6 feet below the ground in a box for 24 hours only living on malted milk balls. so, i say kudos to browning, and i give an A to "Freaks".

Gojira
01-13-2005, 08:19 AM
Hi the Psychicfetus excuse me while I Laugh LOL LOL LOl I have no idea where you heard Tod Browning did a magic trick where he was burried alive 6 ft under ground for 24 hours. LOL Not even Harry Houdini did that and he had planned on doing it before he died in 1926. Every Escapeartist and Magican who has tried to be burried alive died or failed while trying it. Who ever told you that Browning did this is full of it. I know Browning did not do this because I am a Magican and I know Magic History. If you want to talk Magicians and Horror better start with former French Magican Georges Melies who made the very 1st Horror movie in 1896 titled The Devils Castle.

thepsychicfetus
01-13-2005, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Gojira
Hi the Psychicfetus excuse me while I Laugh LOL LOL LOl I have no idea where you heard Tod Browning did a magic trick where he was burried alive 6 ft under ground for 24 hours. LOL Not even Harry Houdini did that and he had planned on doing it before he died in 1926. Every Escapeartist and Magican who has tried to be burried alive died or failed while trying it. Who ever told you that Browning did this is full of it. I know Browning did not do this because I am a Magican and I know Magic History. If you want to talk Magicians and Horror better start with former French Magican Georges Melies who made the very 1st Horror movie in 1896 titled The Devils Castle.

wow, you are incredibly retarded. i read it in a biography about browning for one. it wasnt an actual "magic" trick because there was a system breathing tubes set up for him to breathe with. he also had water and malted milk balls hidden for him to live off of for those 24 hours. now before you go making assumptions and say that im "wrong and full of it" why dont you go read a book about it. its all there. and are you trying to impress me by saying that youre a "magician", and just because you are you know everything about every other magician in history. fucking nOOb.

kpropain
01-13-2005, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Gojira

Gojira
01-13-2005, 07:20 PM
Hey Psychicfetus what is the name of the book that says Tod Browning did this breathing underground stunt or underwater stunt. I would like to read the book myself. Maybe someone got their facts wrong. Btw I have been a fan of horror movies for 38 years and I like Horror movie history and I am a member of the International Brotherhood of Magicans IBM and I am a member od the Society of American Magicans SAM. I also pretty much know the history of Magic as well.

knife_fight
01-13-2005, 09:48 PM
I think this is about the 30th thread about Freaks.

Vodstok
02-09-2005, 04:14 AM
I saw this a couple of months ago. it was actually a decent little movie, not that it really qualifies as horror. Great twist ending, though.

I have to say that the Pinheads were the most disturbing people to see in the movie... with the exception of the torso guy running at the end, and the limbless man crawling with a knife in his mouth... Has anyone else seen this?

filmmaker2
02-09-2005, 06:18 AM
This is a bizarre, bizzare, totally strange movie. One of those things I think everyone ought to see once, at least.

Vodstok
02-09-2005, 06:19 AM
I agree completely. Bragging rights alone are worth it.

i was impressed that it portrayed them as people. they were only scary at the end, pretty much like anyone would be if they were ganging up to mutilate someone.

The Mothman
02-09-2005, 07:20 AM
I've heard of this, my dad said he saw it when he was young. Old movie. 1932

Tat2
02-09-2005, 05:03 PM
Keep in mind, that in the 1930's this movie was considered a bonifide real horror movie. Things were much tamer back then and "freaks" were something that most people didn't see except for the daring ones in a tent during a circus.

Red Dragon
02-09-2005, 07:06 PM
I have this one on DVD. Actually, the documentary that's included in the "special features" section is better than the movie. Lots of cool stuff. An actual "Bearded Lady" even gives some commentary. There's lots of insight into the making of the film and background info on all the stars.

Like someone said in the documentary, it's not exactly a GREAT film but a somewhat IMPORTANT one. Important to the horror industry that is.

thepsychicfetus
02-11-2005, 02:47 PM
i was really surprised that they got real "freaks" to perform in the film and not just ppl in makeup or whatnot. definately boosted the movie a bit by doing that.

knife_fight
02-11-2005, 03:22 PM
I love this movie, but I'm pretty tired of every few weeks a new thread popping up about it.

To avoid thread duplication, please use the SEARCH option and then post in the old forum (which will "bump" it to the top, and then people who want to post about it will notice it).